Anonymous NFL Exec: "Josh Allen is one of the more overrated players in the NFL"

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

Sack him. Hit him. Hurry him. Force some turnovers. Those things shouldn't be impossible for us in the playoffs with Mahomes. We find a way to do it in the regular season. Injuries has been a big part of it, but you need to find a way.

I agree with all you said (of course, I did, because you were agreeing with me!), but this part that I quoted is important and people forget it.  Pressure on Mahomes is important, and the Bills have known it.  That's why they got Von Miller.  Unfortunately, he went down and wasn't available when the Bills needed him in the playoffs - for essentially two seasons.  

Oh, look another thread with an anonymous source.

Please stop posting the click bait garbage. The writers, at least, have a financial inventive. What is the incentive here? Attention? Is that really worth it?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 90sBills said:

I hear this bolded part a lot and it doesn’t make sense to me. We’ve been to the AFCCG once and got blown out. We’ve lost in three straight divisional rounds. We haven’t even been in position to play for rings with Allen. Of all fanbases ours should know that even playing in multiple Super Bowls does not guarantee rings. So how is it that Allen is 3 or 4 plays from rings?

I'm sorry it's difficult to understand.  The 13 seconds game.  Last year's Chiefs game.  I didn't say he would have rings, I said with a couple of breaks he would have had chances to play for rings.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Capco said:

What does "underdeveloped at winning at the line of scrimmage" even mean for a quarterback?

It means he's not great at reading the defense and putting the offense into a better play or at least knowing where to go with the football pre-snap.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, it's the same narrative as a year ago.  Last year, it was "Dorsey was learning the ropes as a rookie coordinator, blah, blah, blah."  Turned out, Dorsey didn't seem to have learned much at all. 

So, this year it's Brady.  I actually buy a lot of what you say about how things went for him 2023.  2024 is when we find out what he has.  I'm confident, but we won't know until November or beyond. 

When I watched the product Brady put on the field last year, I wasn't encouraged.

When I listened to Brady talk during the offseason, however, I felt encouraged.  He seems to have his head on straight and says the right things.

But I'm not in the Brady camp until I see a string of good offensive games.  

I wouldn’t say the word is overrated. I think the word the exec should have used is frustrating. Josh Allen is frustrating at times. The exec is correct, Allen is immensely talented. I think they said overrated because that immense talent hasn’t translated into super bowls. Some of that isn’t Allen’s fault though, it’s the teams and coaching. However Allen’s problems have always been between the ears. I really hope he can become a surgeon on the field at some point, because as he gets older and the elite talent begins to show signs of decline, the stats are going to balloon towards the negative if Allen can’t figure out how to be a game manager. 

Brady and Manning were as great as they were because they knew the game of football like the back of their hands, they were surgeons because they could read and understand every single tendencies. Allen should be destroying these other QBs on talent alone, but he isn’t because he hasn’t mastered the mental aspect of the game. If Allen ever figures it out, watch out, because the combination of elite talent and being a surgeon on the field will yield a long streak of super bowls for Buffalo. 

But time is running out, he likely has about 5 more years before physical peak performance. 

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I agree with just about everything the NFL executive said…Doesn’t mean Josh isn’t great- just means he could, actually, be better than he currently is- still room to grow…👍

I think the choice of words was incorrect. I think it should have been disappointing or frustrating. Allen might have the most physical traits of all time, but the mental aspect of game management and understanding tendencies are what is holding him back from being a top 5 all timer. 

• Haha (+1) 2

I just hope Allen doesn’t become another Cam Newton.  Cam Newton was basically just physically talented and had nothing between the ears in the game of football. And as soon as Cam’s body wore down, he become a terrible QB because he just couldn’t function because he never mastered the game. 

Players like Brees and Brady managed to keep results elevated despite physical decline because their game IQ made up for the physical decline. 

Allen is much more talented than Newton, but I’m not convinced Allen is all that much smarted than Newton on the field with some of the decisions he makes. 

I mean for crying out loud, Josh has already admitted that he can only handle watching so much film before it tweaks him out. That’s a mental issue. It always has been with Josh. He overthinks things because he isn’t confident enough to make the reads. 

• Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

It means he's not great at reading the defense and putting the offense into a better play or at least knowing where to go with the football pre-snap.

Josh Allen’s weaknesses have always been between the ears. It’s why I’ve always advocated for him to spend an entire summer with Brady trying to digest the game. 

• Dislike 1

There isn’t a player in football asked to do more for his team than Josh. In my opinion he’s underrated not overrated. 

The reason I say he’s underrated is because everyone has Mahommes at the top because of the Championships. Andy Reid has elevated pretty much any QB that played for him. McNabb, Vick, Garcia, Smith. Mahommes is really good but would he be the player he is if he wasn’t drafted to the situation? I’m not sure. I do believe if Allen was put in the same situation as him, he’d be better. Jmo

Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 2

Allen is just off the charts immensely talented physically which is what yields all this “overrated” “frustration” etc chatter behind him. He should be smoking other QBs on his elite talent alone. 

Seriously, Josh should be calling up Brady and be like I’m moving in at your place for 3 months. Show me everything you know about the game of football. Even if he managed to improve 15% in that department, we would be talking about finally getting over the hump. 

If it’s a GM, AGM, or person in scouting, then those people pick favorites in the draft and are completely salty when reality doesn’t work out the way they envisioned it. A lot of people were down on Allen at the draft and have never been able to let it go.

In a total NFL redraft, Allen would go #2 overall. It’s basically impossible to overrate him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DapperCam said:

If it’s a GM, AGM, or person in scouting, then those people pick favorites in the draft and are completely salty when reality doesn’t work out the way they envisioned it. A lot of people were down on Allen at the draft and have never been able to let it go.

In a total NFL redraft, Allen would go #2 overall. It’s basically impossible to overrate him.

It’s a different kind of overrated. Allen has what is likely an all time great physical elite talent profile. But it isn’t translating to super bowls. But that isn’t really overrated, that is more “disappointing” or “frustrating” he isn’t translating those talents into super bowls. 

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I am surprised I had not heard about this from a few days ago and I don't see it on the main page, so not sure if its been shared here.  To call him not only overrated, but one of the MORE overrated players in the NFL goes beyond stupid.  

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2024/7/15/24199160/nfl-exec-considers-bills-qb-josh-allen-overrated-despite-espn-top-3-rank

“One of the more overrated players in the NFL,” a veteran NFL executive said. “Immense talent but he makes a lot of mistakes. He’s underdeveloped at winning at the line of scrimmage, tends to lock on to targets, more of a thrower than precision passer, forces throws into traffic.”

You want to have some critiques...fair, all players have things they can improve.  But the overrated nonsense is comically stupid...which is why they were too much of a wuss to put their name on it. 

I love it though...just more fuel for the beast Josh Allen!

Almost everyone in sports media came to his defense (except Nick Wright who I wont even bother to post here).  Here are just a few of those clips where they talked about what an absurd statement this is:

Sure, if by "overrated" he means "underrated"...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Milanos Milano said:

It’s a different kind of overrated. Allen has what is likely an all time great physical elite talent profile. But it isn’t translating to super bowls. But that isn’t really overrated, that is more “disappointing” or “frustrating” he isn’t translating those talents into super bowls. 

Anybody who knocks Allen for lack of playoff success isn’t worth listening to. His stats are almost identical to Mahomes on a per game basis, including matching him basically score for score in their h2h matchups.

This is with Mahomes having a wayyyy better defense than Allen. This is with Mahomes having potentially 2 HOF receiving targets during that time. This is with Mahomes having possibly the greatest offensively-minded head coach of all time (guaranteed HOF). This is with Mahomes having All-Pros on his offensive line for a couple of those playoff runs.

Allen had zero of those benefits. He basically does it all himself.

It’s just a moronic take.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BananaB said:

There isn’t a player in football asked to do more for his team than Josh. In my opinion he’s underrated not overrated. 

The reason I say he’s underrated is because everyone has Mahommes at the top because of the Championships. Andy Reid has elevated pretty much any QB that played for him. McNabb, Vick, Garcia, Smith. Mahommes is really good but would he be the player he is if he wasn’t drafted to the situation? I’m not sure. I do believe if Allen was put in the same situation as him, he’d be better. Jmo

Who is this player called "Mahommes" that you are referring to?   

12 minutes ago, Milanos Milano said:

Is it Allen holding this team back from Superbowls? It’s the ***** coaching. Buffalo fans know this, it’s all everyone else that believe it’s Allen. *****! He put them ahead of the Chiefs with 13 seconds and lost. This past playoffs the O held the ball for close to 40 minutes, scored the most points against the Chiefs all playoffs and they lost. It’s McDs ***** D in playoffs holding this ***** team from winning Championships.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, eball said:

It’s probably a guy who had Baker, Darnold, Rosen, and Jackson ranked higher in the 2018 draft and will die on that hill.

Why do people keep making this ridiculous statement?  This literally never happens.  There is not a single person claiming Alex Smith is better than Aaron Rodgers even though there were plenty who ranked them in that order coming out of college.  Nobody dismisses Peyton Manning’s accomplishments in favor of Ryan Leaf or Mahomes in favor of Trubisky or Watson or Trevor Lawrence because of Zach Wilson.  It’s not a thing.  It doesn’t exist.

Similarly, nobody is saying Allen isn’t great.  He’s almost certainly going to be in the HOF.  He’s not judged against “good”.  He’s judged against other HOF level talents.  There’s a thread on this board where people are proclaiming him to be the greatest dual threat QB of all time.  I can see how some would consider that to qualify as “over-rating” him.

Josh is a special talent, but he’s not without flaws.  When game planning against him, the strategy is pretty clear.  You try not to let him kill you with the home run plays.  If you eliminate those, you can wait until he gets careless with the ball and then seize on it.  Coaches know that they’re going to get a few opportunities to take the ball away and that they have to capitalize on his bad decisions, fumbles, etc.  Nobody ever went into a game against Manning or Brady with a strategy of sitting back and waiting for them to do something stupid.  Now those guys couldn’t make the huge plays that Josh can, but there’s still a lot of room for improvement in Josh’s game if he can reduce the amount of times he makes bad decisions or neglects to protect the ball.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1