What’s Your Most Memorable Bills Game?

25 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

That one's up there for sure...recall though that the game was blacked out in WNY, due to not selling out before the 72 hour deadline.  I remember listening to the call on the radio.  Believe it was during the short time when Van wasn't on the radio, it was Al Meltzer and Rick Azar.  

Did not know it was blacked out. Pretty cool to be one of the few who got to see it live then 👍

• Like (+1) 1

Best game I've been to

Buffalo vs Miami 10/20/2019.

Sat in the front row with Bills Elvis for the second half.

Couldn't believe the energy in the front row; White's INT was perfection and Micah's onside return was icing on the cake.

Best game (because of postgame results)

Miami vs Buffalo 12/31/2017. I was in tears. I barely remembered us being in the playoffs in 1999, and after years and years of suffering we finally took the next step.

Edited by Gobills14094
clarifications and added info
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LewPort71 said:

Jan 20, 1991.   The Bills crush the Raiders 51-3 and clinched the Super Bowl berth. 

We were part of a group that rented the West End Arena in Ridgeway for family skating every Sunday for two hours.  A little more genteel than the madhouse that public skating entailed for the two hours after.  It seemed like every time I skated around the perimeter, and checked in with a fellow listening to a radio in the bleachers, the Bills had scored again. 😁

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1992 Bills @ 49'ers, first game without a punt.

Most memorable for me, because I was there. The talent on the field that day was one-of-a-kind. Not to mention it was a thriller, and the Bills won!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Still surprising to me how long Flutie hung out in the CFL before coming down here and then showing a short QB could absolutely still have success at the NFL level as well—that was also still before Drew Brees’ time, and there was some kind of inherent school of thought IIRC that short guys would have too much trouble seeing over the Oline? 

Yeah, seems like scouts/coaches were much more stuck in their ways back then as far as measurables and finding the prototype 6’3 + QB. Now they aren’t as much, but it worked out in our favor. Josh Allen would’ve went #1 overall in every draft prior to 2010 (ball park number, but just making a point.) The short guy w/ the intangibles & heart ended up going #1 and JA dropped down all the way to 7. 

I feel like Flutie would’ve been really good in today’s NFL especially in an offense designed around him that took advantage of his scrambling and ability to throw on the run. Like a poor man’s Russell Wilson. Regardless, he’s got a legendary career than any player would be proud of. He’s had success on every level he’s played in. Flutie is definitely one of my favorite players of all time and I never understood the dislike that some on this board have for him despite loving Ryan Fitzpatrick who never got the Bills to the postseason. He’s a winner. Who knows what would’ve happened had he started the Music City Miracle game? That was a massive slap in the face to the players and fans. At the very least, he was fun to watch and played w/ heart. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

1974 season opener.  Monday night football, Bills vs. Raiders.  Still the most exciting game I've even seen.

the stadium SHOOK with people jumping up and down cheering it was as crazy a scene as I've ever experienced back then and since.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Gregg said:

My first memorable Bills game was the 1981 WC game at Shea. The Bills jumped out to a 24-0 lead, but the Jets fought back to make it 31-27 late in the 4th. The Jets were driving for the go-ahead score. There was about 10 seconds left in the game when Bill Simpson came up with a game saving interception at the goal line. Leaving Shea that day seeing all of the sad looks on the Jets fans faces was priceless.

I did not attend that game, but remember exactly where I was when Simpson made that interception.  One of my great old Bills memories.

My favorite and most memorable game that I attended in person was the Denver game in 1990 when the Bills scored 3 times in 77 seconds.  This game has been well-chronicled on this board.    It was the loudest and craziest atmosphere I've ever experienced at the stadium.  I was at the Comeback game too, which was awesome, but this was the most memorable for me.  For road games, my favorite was the season opener at LA a couple of years ago when the Bills shellacked the defending Super Bowl Champs Rams on their home field, with Bills fans taking over the place.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Mine was probably from the season the Bills ended the playoff drought. The opening game that 2017 season was at Home vs. the Jets, and we won 21-12. This was the first Home Bills game that I ever attended, and at half-time of that game they honored some of the former Bills players from the "Comeback game" which was almost the game that I was about to pick for this instead. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

The Fitzmagic comeback against the Patriots in 2011.  Going down 3 TDs early it looked like another drubbing was on its way as Brady and Belichick continued their dominance at the Ralph.  Kicking the winning field goal at the 1 with no time left on the clock after a clutch drive was about as sweet as it gets.  

Yes.  Aside from the obvious answers (playoff games, the comeback) this one will always stick out in my head.  My wife and I were at this game and the place was absolutely electric.  Fred Jackson was running around with the Bills flag after the game.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

1992 Bills @ 49'ers, first game without a punt.

Most memorable for me, because I was there. The talent on the field that day was one-of-a-kind. Not to mention it was a thriller, and the Bills won!

Great game!

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

For me, the sweetest win is the 1992 AFCCG in Miami.

Beating the most hated rival on their turf was GREAT.

Ironically, the Bills haven’t won a playoff road game since. Seven straight playoff road losses. Ouch.

I was at the game and it was truly fantastic.

But The Comeback is still my most memorable game.

Another special game for me at the time was watching OJ break 2,000.   The game itself wasn't great, nor did OJ put on a particularly great show.  But it was such an incredible achievement.  Even the amazing Jim Brown never ran for 2,000.  Of course, the memory of that day has been tarnished by OJ's subsequent horrible acts.  

• Agree 1

Imma go with the Don Shula retirement game.  December 30, 1995 at Rich Stadium.  The Bills pile up 341 yards rushing in a complete beat down of the hated Fish, 37-22.  My favorite Van call of all time, "Tim Tindale, the Canadian Comet!" on Tindale's 44 yard TD run to rub salt into the wound.  I loved it.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

1974 season opener.  Monday night football, Bills vs. Raiders.  Still the most exciting game I've even seen.

WOW! That was going to be my answer. Ahmad Rashad for the win!!! I still remember listening to the post game show trying to get out of the parking lot, and not caring that nothing was moving. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Flutiemania saved the Bills in Buffalo. Lease was done after 98, the population was dwindling, club seats weren't being sold, season tickets weren't being renewed….then RoboSack got benched and Flutie saved the team. 

YEP. It is very interesting how the Bills despite the SBs and playoff runs with Kelly & crew were in a very shaky stadium situation by 97-98 and it was a real possibility they could leave. Fans almost gloss over the realness of that and how big getting the club seats done were to the viability for another decade or two. Once Flutie stepped in and the madness started people went nuts, it was really fun. I remember in middle school how divided the region was for Johnson v Flutie. Johnson even said he knew he was toast the moment Flutie ran that in against Jax. The fans/region just pulled for the guy with the way he played. A lot of the pieces I have read with RoboJ the last bunch of years hes a pretty decent dude and very real to everything. No ill will towards Buffalo as much as just maybe how it played it, but he talked about his shoulder getting messed up and never recovering either.

51-3.  Never experienced anything like it - just a big party by halftime - people screaming "We're going to the Super Bowl!" to each other in giddy disbelief.  After all the years of suffering the unthinkable was actually happening.  It was like a dream.  Just an unbelievable experience

Dishonorable mention for "memorable" - the 6-3 Cleveland game - the worst live sports experience of my life - sitting up at the top corner of the upper deck freezing our a$$ off watching the "football game".  My son was 11 yrs old and had swine flu and went anyway and still talks about how it damaged him.  Bills and the NFL should give reparations + additional $$ for pain and suffering for those brave souls who lived through that tragedy

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Imma go with the Don Shula retirement game.  December 30, 1995 at Rich Stadium.  The Bills pile up 341 yards rushing in a complete beat down of the hated Fish, 37-22.  My favorite Van call of all time, "Tim Tindale, the Canadian Comet!" on Tindale's 44 yard TD run to rub salt into the wound.  I loved it.

It was fun to see Steve Tasker, special teams ace, have a game to remember as a receiver.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Steve O said:

An avid golfer / radio host was once asked what the best course he ever played was. He answered that Augusta National is so far above anything else that you have to leave that out of the question. That's how I feel about the Houston comeback game.

With that in mind, we'll make good a toss up between two Patriots games: Roland Hooks back to back hail Mary catches against the Patriots in 1981, and the 2011 victory.

Bad:

Unfortunately too many to choose from:

13 Seconds? Home Run forward pass? Just give it to them? Wide Right? The drop? Man, it hurts that they all have names and were in playoff games except just give it to them, which sent us on the road in the playoffs instead of home.

I was at the Roland Hooks game, and sadly missed the ending since the people I was with wanted to leave. 

Games I attended with best memories are first Monday Night, 1973

1974 season opener on Monday night against Raiders with several lead changes in last few minutes, much like 13 seconds but with better ending.  

1980 opener, finally defeating Dolphins. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, eball said:

Yes.  Aside from the obvious answers (playoff games, the comeback) this one will always stick out in my head.  My wife and I were at this game and the place was absolutely electric.  Fred Jackson was running around with the Bills flag after the game.

That team wasn't the most talented but they were mostly entertaining to watch and easy to root for.  Bunch of misfits and D3 guys at our skill positions.  If Fitz hadn't broken his ribs and FJ not ended up on IR maybe they squeak into the last wild card.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I have to say the comeback...I was there with my brother and we were late getting back from half time time and didn't see the interception return but we had such belief in our team that we just chalked it up to another touchdown needed. The electricity in the crowd was amazing it was something I have never felt  before or since. We had endzone seats which happened to be where we scored all those 3rd quarter tds...I am so glad my brother and I insisted on staying !!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SoMAn said:

I was at the Roland Hooks game, and sadly missed the ending since the people I was with wanted to leave. 

Games I attended with best memories are first Monday Night, 1973

1974 season opener on Monday night against Raiders with several lead changes in last few minutes, much like 13 seconds but with better ending.  

1980 opener, finally defeating Dolphins. 

I was not at the Roland Hooks game, but was a kid playing touch football in the street in front of the house with the neighborhood kids while listening to Van Miller call it on the radio.  Never forget it.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2