What’s Your Most Memorable Bills Game?

As we get ready to turn the page into training camp and gear up for the new season with all of our combined hopes and expectations of finally breaking through, what sticks in your mind as the most memorable game from seasons past?

Taking a stroll down memory lane could be for all the wrong reasons, or one of the franchise’s highlights, such as the Comeback game, which is up there for me—I’ll never forget where I was when that 2nd half against the Oilers unfolded (unlike most of you, I was NOT in actual attendance :)). 

Maybe it’s the 13 seconds game, or the perfect game against the Patriots the week prior? Or do you go all the way back to the AFL Championships? 

What say you? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My first ever Bills game I attended. Bills vs Jacksonville when Flutie ran it in for the game winning TD w/ 16 seconds left. I was hooked ever since and why I will always have love for Doug Flutie. I have never heard a stadium get as loud as it did on that day. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Too easy to say "The Comeback" but can't argue that opinion...

I will say...The Bills perfect game against the Pats in the Playoffs...satisfying...cathartic...exercised a lot of demons that night

Most painful memory...Homerun Throwback.  Bills had a Championship level Defense that year.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

My first memorable Bills game was the 1981 WC game at Shea. The Bills jumped out to a 24-0 lead, but the Jets fought back to make it 31-27 late in the 4th. The Jets were driving for the go-ahead score. There was about 10 seconds left in the game when Bill Simpson came up with a game saving interception at the goal line. Leaving Shea that day seeing all of the sad looks on the Jets fans faces was priceless.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

My first ever Bills game I attended. Bills vs Jacksonville when Flutie ran it in for the game winning TD w/ 16 seconds left. I was hooked ever since and why I will always have love for Doug Flutie. I have never heard a stadium get as loud as it did on that day. 

Still surprising to me how long Flutie hung out in the CFL before coming down here and then showing a short QB could absolutely still have success at the NFL level as well—that was also still before Drew Brees’ time, and there was some kind of inherent school of thought IIRC that short guys would have too much trouble seeing over the Oline? 

4 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Still surprising to me how long Flutie hung out in the CFL before coming down here and then showing a short QB could absolutely still have success at the NFL level as well—that was also still before Drew Brees’ time, and there was some kind of inherent school of thought IIRC that short guys would have too much trouble seeing over the Oline? 

He was never successful at anything at the NFL level except dividing locker rooms. 

Everything he did on the field - and off of it - sucked. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He was never successful at anything at the NFL level except dividing locker rooms. 

Gugs—it felt like he brought back some enthusiasm to the position that was already starting to languish post-Kelly era—some of us just remember his tenure differently, but I of course respect your opinion. And what’s your most memorable game? 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Jan 20, 1991.   The Bills crush the Raiders 51-3 and clinched the Super Bowl berth.  Mrs. Lew and I were in Las Vegas and I watched the game at the Caesar's sports book with a LARGE crowd of Raiders fans in attendance.  I met some great Bills fans from Rochester and by half time we had the place to ourselves.  Mrs. Lew won a large slot machine jackpot and we feasted in a very $$$ restaurant on the Strip.  Great times.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For me, the sweetest win is the 1992 AFCCG in Miami.

Beating the most hated rival on their turf was GREAT.

Ironically, the Bills haven’t won a playoff road game since. Seven straight playoff road losses. Ouch.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

Jan 20, 1991.   The Bills crush the Raiders 51-3 and clinched the Super Bowl berth.  Mrs. Lew and I were in Las Vegas and I watched the game at the Caesar's sports book with a LARGE crowd of Raiders fans in attendance.  I met some great Bills fans from Rochester and by half time we had the place to ourselves.  Mrs. Lew won a large slot machine jackpot and we feasted in a very $$$ restaurant on the Strip.  Great times.

This one.  Except my brothers and I were there.  What I remember distinctly was the sheer volume of noise from the fans banging on the seatbacks in front of them (me included).  It was so loud and such a roar that I literally looked up thinking that the Air Force was doing another fly-by.  I then realized it was us.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

An avid golfer / radio host was once asked what the best course he ever played was. He answered that Augusta National is so far above anything else that you have to leave that out of the question. That's how I feel about the Houston comeback game.

With that in mind, we'll make good a toss up between two Patriots games: Roland Hooks back to back hail Mary catches against the Patriots in 1981, and the 2011 victory.

Bad:

Unfortunately too many to choose from:

13 Seconds? Home Run forward pass? Just give it to them? Wide Right? The drop? Man, it hurts that they all have names and were in playoff games except just give it to them, which sent us on the road in the playoffs instead of home.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Not sure I can pick one

1. Bills vs Miami, Kelly wins diving into the end zone at the End of the game-childhood

2. The day the goal posts went down!

3. The comeback-i listened to it on the radio! Lol

4. Ronnie Harmon game-childhood

5. Wide right-shock

6. 13 seconds-went from my son and I shouting and hugging to just sadness

7. Music city miracle-my friend and I kept calling each other talking *****. I will never forget the phone ringing as the return happened

8. That awful Cleveland game-my god

9. Dallas MNF (during the drought)-fun game with a billsy end of course

10. Dallas Thanksgiving. Allen told the world who he was

Edited by TBBills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So many to choose from over the years but the one that always comes to mind is the home opener against the Pats*** in 2003.

Being aware of how that season ended up going, and definitely how it ended, makes the game a lot less meaningful. However being in that stadium experiencing it as it happened in the moment was something I will never forget.

Crowd was crazy to start and got more insane as the game went on. It also was extremely enjoyable seeing the busload of Pats*** fans in the section next to us getting up at the end of the third and start heading towards the exits as the Bills fans chanted the "Nah, Nah, Goodbye" song. 

Edited by Metal Man
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, ryguy101 said:

Bills vs vikings 2018

Josh Allen showing who he really was

Agreed--that was very very special--I believe one of the posters here even bragged he was on his way to easy money betting 5K against the Bills that game! 😁. Also happened to be the same day my youngest was born, so I'll always equate the awesomeness of that upset with that, needless to say! 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Agree. Flutie was fun to watch at times, but he made running for your life look like a good offensive play. Lots of folks loved him, but I recall he through a game away, literally, with 4 INTs late in the Music City Debacle season. 

37 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

Not sure I can pick one

1. Bills vs Miami, Kelly wins diving into the end zone at the End of the game-childhood

2. The day the goal posts went down!

3. The comeback-i listened to it on the radio! Lol

4. Ronnie Harmon game-childhood

5. Wide right-shock

6. 13 seconds-went from my son and I shouting and hugging to just sadness

7. Music city miracle-my friend and I kept calling each other talking *****. I will never forget the phone ringing as the return happened

8. That awful Cleveland game-my god

9. Dallas MNF (during the drought)-fun game with a billsy end of course

10. Dallas Thanksgiving. Allen told the world who he was

Same for me for the Comeback! I was in the car with my mom and sister, who aren't sports fans whatsoever, and I kept insisting on keeping the game on, in a state of disbelief of what was happening. After we got back to our house, I had to wait in the driveway with the car running until a commercial break before running in to catch the rest of it. It was CBS' Westwood One's call of the game, not sure who the announcer crew was that day, but the play by play calling was awesome!!!  

• Awesome! (+1) 3

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

For me, the sweetest win is the 1992 AFCCG in Miami.

Beating the most hated rival on their turf was GREAT.

Ironically, the Bills haven’t won a playoff road game since. Seven straight playoff road losses. Ouch.

Actually, they beat the Steelers that next week on the road. But you're right about 7 straight after that, doesn't seem like that many in a row.