Netlfix: Receiver thread

The sequel to last year's Quarterback, this year they are following Receivers. Davante Adams, Justin Jefferson, George Kittle, Deebo Samuel, and Amon Ra St Brown.

I binged the whole series the last couple of days, and was again impressed with both the production and the players.

I like how they keep a LOT more of the on-field dialogue, more so than what I've seen out of other productions that censor or cut out conversation. I always had a suspicion there was a lot more talking going on during plays than what we see in Mic'ed Up, and this certainly proved it.

All big family guys, both with their parents, and being parents. As a fellow girl-dad it was funny to see Davante Adams say some of the exact same things that I do.

But a real good focus on the football aspect, not much drama or any of that.

Anyone else watching?

(I searched but didnt find a thread on this, and figured its a different discussion than playing GM in the Hard Knocks thread)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Like I mentioned in the other thread, wife and I are watching and loving it now.  She is a die hard Niners fan, so extra fun for her with Kittle and Deebo on it.  But the overall show production is great like "Quarterback" was which was an excellent show we both loved.  My wife fell in love with Kirk Cousins and his family on "Quarterback" and still roots for him now lol.  

The players and families have all been great and fun as well.  We will prob binge the rest between now and Friday lol.  Kittle is hilarious and he has an awesome wife.  In fact all the spouses or girlfriends are great in this season.

Watching what Davante played through for the Raiders gave me an even greater respect for him.  Already easily either 1 or 2 on the best in the NFL list of WR's by any measure, the dude is a beast and all about leaving it all out on the field.

I binged the whole thing. Felt bad for Detroit in the playoffs. Then felt equally bad for the Niners in the Super Bowl. It seemed inevitable and hopeless for the players on the sideline when Mahomes had the ball in overtime.

I came away very impressed with Amon Ra St. Brown. Being fluent in 3 different languages is extraordinary. 

• Like (+1) 2

A couple takeaways:

1) If I was a Niners fan I'd have Deebo injury fatigue.    My impression has always been that the guy comes off the field gimpy every other time he touches the ball and then gets too much credit for being this "warrior" persona when he comes back.   We in reality he might just have a lower pain tolerance than a guy like Kittle.   Deebo was basically nursing injuries the whole show but having watched all their games they clearly edited out the sheer volume of times he limps off.  :rolleyes:   

2) The Detroit/Tampa playoff footage with short armed Ahmon St Brown showing his frustration/concern about how he couldn't get away from long armed Jamel Dean was footage that people who think Khalil Shakir is going to have no problem moving to an outside WR  position should watch.    Getting away from these long corners is a huge problem for the short armed, slot-types.   Even a gold-standard type like St Brown.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

A couple takeaways:

1) If I was a Niners fan I'd have Deebo injury fatigue.    My impression has always been that the guy comes off the field gimpy every other time he touches the ball and then gets too much credit for being this "warrior" persona when he comes back.   We in reality he might just have a lower pain tolerance than a guy like Kittle.   Deebo was basically nursing injuries the whole show but having watched all their games they clearly edited out the sheer volume of times he limps off.  :rolleyes:   

Werent they all nursing injuries tho? I think that's one of the points the show was trying to make.

Jefferson missed significant time with a pulled hamstring and then came back and immediately got hit in the back and was coughing up blood.

Adams separated his AC joint to the point you could see it sticking up through his hoodie.

Even Kittle had to leave the Super Bowl and a most critical time because he couldnt lift his arm.

Deebo had a fracture in his scapula, which can not feel good. And it's not like he didnt take a hard shot from a helmet right into his arm back that broke it. I know he left a couple games, but he didnt miss much time.

These guys take major hits.

49 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Werent they all nursing injuries tho? I think that's one of the points the show was trying to make.

Jefferson missed significant time with a pulled hamstring and then came back and immediately got hit in the back and was coughing up blood.

Adams separated his AC joint to the point you could see it sticking up through his hoodie.

Even Kittle had to leave the Super Bowl and a most critical time because he couldnt lift his arm.

Deebo had a fracture in his scapula, which can not feel good. And it's not like he didnt take a hard shot from a helmet right into his arm back that broke it. I know he left a couple games, but he didnt miss much time.

These guys take major hits.

I expected that kind of response.

I'm often citing that football is a brutal sport and so many fans on here don't take that into account with their assessments.

But those guys on that show are all usually out there 900-1,000+ snaps.

Except the Deebo.

Who averages just 630 snaps per season for his career and has only exceeded the low 700's once.

And no the few carries from RB aren't the reason.

Deebo playoff dud. 12 games, 288 total rushing, 638 receiving. 3 TDs.  Last SB 11 targets, 3 catches, 33 yards.  3 carries for 8 yards.  2022 in conf championship game, 6 carries for -9 yards, 3 catches 33 yards. 

Kittle not much impact.  12 games, avg under 40 yards per.  2 career TD.

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I expected that kind of response.

I'm often citing that football is a brutal sport and so many fans on here don't take that into account with their assessments.

But those guys on that show are all usually out there 900-1,000+ snaps.

Except the Deebo.

Who averages just 630 snaps per season for his career and has only exceeded the low 700's once.

And no the few carries from RB aren't the reason.

I’m surprised cut/trade Deebo and pay Aiyuk isn’t gaining traction in SF.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I got through 20 minutes. Kittle is insufferable 

It's half in half out for me.   Love his playing style.   His constitution is perfect for playing football.  That said it would be exhausting to be around him.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I've thought all along that that was the best play for SF. Try to trade the older and oft-injured Deebo and his niche skillset, use the cap savings to re-sign the younger and more versatile Aiyuk.

Aiyuk/Pearsall/Cowing/Jennings would be a nice WR corps going forward.

Edited by Logic

53 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They showed the numbers with and without Deebo, and without Deebo SF is pretty average at best. Whatever it is that he brings and makes the defenses do obviously helps the entire team. Aiyuk is a very good WR, but doesnt bring anything extra or special beyond what any other good WR would do.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

It's half in half out for me.   Love his playing style.   His constitution is perfect for playing football.  That said it would be exhausting to be around him.

Agreed, he's just so "extra". Like St. Brown alot though. Closet Lions fan here. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Agreed, he's just so "extra". Like St. Brown alot though. Closet Lions fan here. 

Yeah I thought that at times too, but he mostly seems to be extra only with himself/his family. I thought he did a good job supporting Purdy and keeping him going.

48 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

They showed the numbers with and without Deebo, and without Deebo SF is pretty average at best. Whatever it is that he brings and makes the defenses do obviously helps the entire team. Aiyuk is a very good WR, but doesnt bring anything extra or special beyond what any other good WR would do.

Week 7/8 missing Williams and Deebo in 2023. So that’s not really fair (although it makes Deebo look worth a Hall of Fame LT AND a good WR).

Regardless, Deebo has major injury concerns at this point, has a high contract, and will be 29 this season. Even if he’s that important, will he be in 2 years?

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Week 7/8 missing Williams and Deebo in 2023. So that’s not really fair (although it makes Deebo look worth a Hall of Fame LT AND a good WR).

Regardless, Deebo has major injury concerns at this point, has a high contract, and will be 29 this season. Even if he’s that important, will he be in 2 years?

Fair on the injury concerns. Anyone playing that position that physically wont last long in the league. But it's what their team is all about, at least for now.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I've thought all along that that was the best play for SF. Try to trade the older and oft-injured Deebo and his niche skillset, use the cap savings to re-sign the younger and more versatile Aiyuk.

Aiyuk/Pearsall/Cowing/Jennings would be a nice WR corps going forward.

I think Deebo has less value among the league because of his unique skill set. There are probably a lot of coaches that don’t know how to use him.