Brandon Aiyuk officially requests a trade

SCBills

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

Firstly, the Browns have been reported to have another on the table for over $30M AAV. I have not heard of what the trade compensation would be though.

As for the cap, it is very manageable. As of now the Browns are rolling over $29.7M and are $59.8M over in 2025. That nets out to $20.1M over in 2025. The Browns will obviously use more space in 2024, but it’s very manageable as it stands.

If Cooper is traded away then the only impact on the Browns cap is that they immediately acquire $1.2M in space. 2025 stays the same. Let’s use Amon St. Brown’s $30.2M AAV deal as a guide for Aiyuk. His cap hit in 2024 is $4.9M and $13.9M in 2025. That is manageable for the Browns. 

The Browns do want to extend JOK, but not Wills. Also as for void years, five years is the max for signing bonus proration so they’d only need one if it’s a four year deal. OTC has a cap calculator here if you want to play with how the Browns can get back under the cap. 

59-29=30M over the cap even with a roll over.  If they sign Aiyuk say good bye to a big chunk of the 30M roll over.  Now you want to fit JOK and Aiyuk’s 55M combined AAV onto a 35-40M 2025 overage without having a backup QB, K, and a plethora of other holes to fill.  I guess it’s possible, I just don’t see it.  

1 hour ago, TheWeatherMan said:

59-29=30M over the cap even with a roll over.  If they sign Aiyuk say good bye to a big chunk of the 30M roll over.  Now you want to fit JOK and Aiyuk’s 55M combined AAV onto a 35-40M 2025 overage without having a backup QB, K, and a plethora of other holes to fill.  I guess it’s possible, I just don’t see it.  

Crap. Good catch on my math. I’ll run the numbers again and post the transactions. The Browns have a K under contract, DTR is likely the backup QB next season and getting a premier WR entering his prime like Aiyuk under a long term contract would be far more important than re-signing any LB - even one as outstanding as JOK.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/cleveland-browns

I used this calculator. Additional cap space could be made with more restructures and by adding void years. I did simple restructures though many utilized existing void years. The link resets the calculator so here is what I’ve done. Remember that the Browns have been very aggressive in restructuring almost every dollar:

- Cooper trade in 2024

- Bitonio retires and is a post 6/1 cut in 2025

- Simple restructures for Watson, Garrett, Ward, Teller, Conklin, Njoku, Tomlinson, Smith, Jeudy, Okoronkwo, Thornhill and Pocic. 

- This yields cap space of $30.9M in 2024 and $32.8M in 2025. Plenty to sign Aiyuk, JOK and make other moves. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Augie said:

One of the great things about a first rounder is that they are cheap for the first 4-5 years. To lose a first and have to pay top dollar for a guy stings. I know, a sure thing proven player vs a draft pick, but…..

A true #1 WR would change how I look at the Bills offense. 

I’m curious to see how this looks, I’ll promise you that. 

Keon Coleman will be that dude.  And we will all love it

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Disagree about Aiyuk vs Diggs of 4 years ago.  

That being said, this offense is going to be excellent.  I love the weapons we have.  

And I don’t want guys who are bitching about their contracts.  It’s a team game.  Josh Allen gets that more than anyone.  These guys all think they should get big money.  And then the team has no money left to pay other good players and your team is stuck winning 6-9 games every year.  I want guys who want to win first and foremost.  That should matter still. 

I think Aiyuk is actually better than 2020 Diggs but we'll agree to disagree.  If you're going to have a defensive head coach I think you should give the one or two big contracts we should afford next year then spend it on the offense.  We have a bunch of WR3 and WR4 guys right now no matter how the Bills brass is spinning it.  If Kincaid is as good as advertised we still should still be pretty formidable if Brady does a good job.  Having Aiyuk, Kincaid, Samuel, and Coleman here for the next four years and there wouldn't be any complaints we didn't provide Josh enough weapons in his prime.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Agree 2

I placed a fairly sizable bet on Ricky Pearsall to be rookie of the year right after the draft. I’m banking on them moving Ayiuk and Pearsall seeing big volume in an elite offense.

Bugs Bunny Money GIF by Looney Tunes

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Aiyuk will play out the year on the 49ers. 

agree or be traded before the deadline at a discount because he is a distraction... 

On 8/3/2024 at 12:23 PM, SCBills said:

How are the Browns always involved in these big money FA’s?

I reserve the right to regret this (hopefully not), but I feel pretty good with our WR room right now.   I’d rather see what they’ve got and draft another WR early next year - just keep filling the pipeline that way, especially if Shakir blows up.  

If we’re going to spend, just complete the defense and sign Justin Simmons to shore up the only questionable position group. 

how have we not learned that only tinkering with the wr room has hurt us every year since 2020. im not saying we have to force aiyuk, but damn id have preferred more aggresssion in FA/draft at addresssing the position.  i hated gabe, but we still lost our #1 and #2 this year. expecting a 2nd year tight end and 3rd year shakir to not only eat up those lost catches BUT also push out more production than them (ya know to get over the hump), is not enough.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

how have we not learned that only tinkering with the wr room has hurt us every year since 2020. im not saying we have to force aiyuk, but damn id have preferred more aggresssion in FA/draft at addresssing the position.  i hated gabe, but we still lost our #1 and #2 this year. expecting a 2nd year tight end and 3rd year shakir to not only eat up those lost catches BUT also push out more production than them (ya know to get over the hump), is not enough.

Curtis Samuel got the 4th most guaranteed in FA this year fwiw.  By salary its a downgrade from gabes 13M aav to samuels 8M aav - but i don't think its much of a downgrade in the football player.  If you compare him to diggs, its more of a downgrade in the lineup, but diggs at age 31 isn't necessarily the same diggs as he was before.  It's sort of a buy low into the player you think Samuel could be - while trading for Diggs was more of the big move with Aiyuk.  You can make that Aiyuk type move with the QB rookie contract, but i'm not sure you can with the substantial QB cap hits.  

Coleman as a rookie is also probably a downgrade from gabe, but it could also potentially be an upgrade as we've seen enough of gabe to know he was an imperfect player (drops, incorrect routes, random invisible weeks).  So its hard to just say its an upgrade, but from what i've seen/heard in camp, the kids going to be on the field and he's going to make plays.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Correct-  I think they are expecting a 2nd year TE, 3rd year WR, Curtis Samuel, Keon Coleman, Mack Hollins, Knox and the RBs to run a different offense than they did last season.  

1 hour ago, TheWeatherMan said:

The Steelers need to tank for a franchise QB.  

But that will never happen

2 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

The Steelers need to tank for a franchise QB.  

I don't think Tomlin has had a losing season since he has been there. Their defense is really good so I would expect the Steelers to be a competitive team. 

• Like (+1) 1