Brandon Aiyuk officially requests a trade

SCBills

1 hour ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Doubt it, Browns are $56M over the cap for next year and have Cooper and Judy under contract for the next few years.  

That’s not correct. Cooper is only under contract for this season. Beyond that, it’s likely that he’d be part of a trade as SF needs a replacement for Aiyuk this season. Cleveland will be find a with the cap. I can get into why if you’d like. 

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

How are the Browns always involved in these big money FA’s?

I reserve the right to regret this (hopefully not), but I feel pretty good with our WR room right now.   I’d rather see what they’ve got and draft another WR early next year - just keep filling the pipeline that way, especially if Shakir blows up.  

If we’re going to spend, just complete the defense and sign Justin Simmons to shore up the only questionable position group. 

They are utilizing the same model as Philadelphia. They are pushing out nearly every cap dollar they can. The system is calibrated to be sustainable. The estimates I saw was that teams doing this can outspend teams with a more cash-to-cap structure by 15-18%.

While this provides a cushion these teams still have to be smart about whom they pay. It’s what makes me think a Cooper plus pick for Aiyuk is something Cleveland would be in on as long as the pick compensation was reasonable. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/17/2024 at 11:26 PM, Doc Brown said:

The Bills gave up a 1st and a 4th for Diggs.  Aiyuk is at least as good as he was at the time of the trade.  How is giving up a first insanity?  Especially when we have two 2nds and the 1st will be near the end of the first round.  This offense will regress without a true #1 WR.

lets discuss this post season. Your conclusion , that is :)

36 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s not correct. Cooper is only under contract for this season. Beyond that, it’s likely that he’d be part of a trade as SF needs a replacement for Aiyuk this season. Cleveland will be find a with the cap. I can get into why if you’d like. 

Technically he has a void year in 2025.  It's a whopping $22.5M dead cap hit.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/16728/amari-cooper

20 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

It'll pry only take until mid October when we're begging for a WR trade.

36 minutes ago, Doc said:

Well if they're both offering over $30M/year...

Get the feeling he could force his hand in NE with a rookie QB easier (also force his way out if he wanted to) than if he went to the Browns with a QB who is basically a shell of his former self and taking all the bank.

Edited by The Wiz

2 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

One of the great things about a first rounder is that they are cheap for the first 4-5 years. To lose a first and have to pay top dollar for a guy stings. I know, a sure thing proven player vs a draft pick, but…..

A true #1 WR would change how I look at the Bills offense. 

I’m curious to see how this looks, I’ll promise you that. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Get the feeling he could force his hand in NE with a rookie QB easier (also force his way out if he wanted to) than if he went to the Browns with a QB who is basically a shell of his former self and taking all the bank.

Yeah but a wholly unproven/rookie HC following a legend and a rookie who is wholly unproven as well.  Would be harder to hit incentives.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

He counts $22.5M against there cap in a void year in 2025. Please explain how adding a $30M player to the roster when they are $50M over the cap for 25 is going to work.  They still .  They still will want to sign JOK, and Jedrick Willis and will need to sign a backup QB.  

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

They are utilizing the same model as Philadelphia. They are pushing out nearly every cap dollar they can. The system is calibrated to be sustainable. The estimates I saw was that teams doing this can outspend teams with a more cash-to-cap structure by 15-18%.

While this provides a cushion these teams still have to be smart about whom they pay. It’s what makes me think a Cooper plus pick for Aiyuk is something Cleveland would be in on as long as the pick compensation was reasonable. 

Cleveland would still absorb all of the void year cap hits and would save a whopping $1M in cap space in 24 by trading Cooper (not happening).  So you’re thinking they will trade / sign for Aiyuk at $30M per?  They better have like 5 void years.  

1 hour ago, TheWeatherMan said:

He counts $22.5M against there cap in a void year in 2025. Please explain how adding a $30M player to the roster when they are $50M over the cap for 25 is going to work.  They still .  They still will want to sign JOK, and Jedrick Willis and will need to sign a backup QB.  

They're going to resign JOK, but Jed Wills isn't coming back.  Dude is average at best and going to cost a decent chunk.  

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Why would the Patriots bother? 

I would think they probably are looking at it from the perspective of we have a rookie QB so we have the luxury of spending draft capital and cap dollars on a in his prime WR. It would also help them evaluate their rookie QB. If the Pats can get him without giving up a first round pick I would think they would strongly consider it. Personally I think it would be a bit foolish to "microwave" the process around a rookie QB but what do I know.

On 7/17/2024 at 11:26 PM, Doc Brown said:

The Bills gave up a 1st and a 4th for Diggs.  Aiyuk is at least as good as he was at the time of the trade.  How is giving up a first insanity?  Especially when we have two 2nds and the 1st will be near the end of the first round.  This offense will regress without a true #1 WR.

Disagree about Aiyuk vs Diggs of 4 years ago.  

That being said, this offense is going to be excellent.  I love the weapons we have.  

And I don’t want guys who are bitching about their contracts.  It’s a team game.  Josh Allen gets that more than anyone.  These guys all think they should get big money.  And then the team has no money left to pay other good players and your team is stuck winning 6-9 games every year.  I want guys who want to win first and foremost.  That should matter still. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

18 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Cleveland would still absorb all of the void year cap hits and would save a whopping $1M in cap space in 24 by trading Cooper (not happening).  So you’re thinking they will trade / sign for Aiyuk at $30M per?  They better have like 5 void years.  

Firstly, the Browns have been reported to have another on the table for over $30M AAV. I have not heard of what the trade compensation would be though.

As for the cap, it is very manageable. As of now the Browns are rolling over $29.7M and are $59.8M over in 2025. That nets out to $30.1M over in 2025. The Browns will obviously use more space in 2024, but it’s very manageable as it stands.

If Cooper is traded away then the only impact on the Browns cap is that they immediately acquire $1.2M in space. 2025 stays the same. Let’s use Amon St. Brown’s $30.2M AAV deal as a guide for Aiyuk. His cap hit in 2024 is $4.9M and $13.9M in 2025. That is manageable for the Browns. 

The Browns do want to extend JOK, but not Wills. Also as for void years, five years is the max for signing bonus proration so they’d only need one if it’s a four year deal. OTC has a cap calculator here if you want to play with how the Browns can get back under the cap. 

Edited by BarleyNY