Brandon Aiyuk officially requests a trade

SCBills

29 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

$160M in cap hits of his $255M contract comes from void years.  2029 is a $97M void year.  The NFL needs to rid itself of void years, it pretty much equates to not having a cap.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It all has to be paid in the end.

Yeah, I think it can hurt the team more than being an advantage. Especially when you are talking about $97M void years. If I was GM, I think I cap void years at $5M. Good way to find a little wiggle room, bad way to pay out big contracts.

Of course, if they expect to sign Hurts to a 3rd deal then it doesnt matter much because it all gets rewritten. I assume that is their thought process. But not sure Im sold on the long term viability of Hurts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

In possibly-related news, the Niners have signed speed Wide Receiver Robbie Anderson/Robby Anderson/Robbie Chosen/Chosen Anderson.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/robbie-chosen-anderson-signs-with-49ers

That's a good deal when you can get 4 guys for the price of one. :thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 5

5 hours ago, Doc said:

I have no doubt that the 49ers are looking for someone back at wide receiver. A recent article I read said that Piersall is having trouble separating in camp.  And he also recently had a shoulder injury.

Targeting Pickens? Diontae Johnson?

6 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

But void years do, LOL.

No, they are not forever either, but they can help smart GM’s manage the situation better. 

• Eyeroll 1

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

No, they are not forever either, but they can help smart GM’s manage the situation better. 

If you stagger void years to all of your high priced players you can, in theory, perpetually kick the can down the road.  

• Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

If you stagger void years to all of your high priced players you can, in theory, perpetually kick the can down the road.  

There is a an actual limit on void years, they are not forever. That is what I was responding to. They also need to be used judiciously. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Agree with the Hurts contract.  When I look at it his yearly salary is all vet minimums and he collects his pay through option bonuses.

It looks to me like it is pre-restructured at signing to push the max out for all his years.

It's crazy.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/47648/jalen-hurts/contract/cap

I just saw that contract structure and it is one of the weirdest contracts I have seen lol.

97 million dollar void in 2029 or whatever year it was?

Lmao how the hell is that even possible, cause to my understanding, you can't restructure void years?

18 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, I think it can hurt the team more than being an advantage. Especially when you are talking about $97M void years. If I was GM, I think I cap void years at $5M. Good way to find a little wiggle room, bad way to pay out big contracts.

Of course, if they expect to sign Hurts to a 3rd deal then it doesnt matter much because it all gets rewritten. I assume that is their thought process. But not sure Im sold on the long term viability of Hurts.

I am more sold on the long term viability of Hurts than I am the long term viability of Sirianni. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am more sold on the long term viability of Hurts than I am the long term viability of Sirianni. 

I can see Vrabel coaching Philly next season. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sirianni has total "Brandon Staley entering 2023" vibes. Everyone knows he's gonna be canned, they are just gonna waste a season to do it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

20 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

It all has to be paid in the end.

19 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Not if you keep kicking the can with void years.  

In the end, it really does.

If cash is actually paid to the player, there is no way to avoid it hitting the cap. And if the player is gone, all the pro-rated money that hasn't hit the cap gets accelerated (differently depending whether or not it's pre or post June 1st, but it's all got to be paid, every penny).

Also, a bunch of Hurts' money hits sooner than the void year in real life. If you look at the bottom of the Spotrac page, in the section called "Contract Notes," you see there are a bunch of things that will hit the contract before those void years.

For instance, the 2026 salary is $1.215M. But as of March 2025, $30.804M of the 2026 salary fully guarantees. So in March 2025, his 2026 salary goes up to $32M.

Also, look at the "Potential Out." At the beginning of the 2028 season if they cut him they'll have paid him $208.3M. All of which will have to go against the cap, either in 2028 or maybe some will spill into 2029.

It all has to be paid in the end. If it goes to the player, it has to hit the cap. How and when depends whether they still want him each year, whether they re-structure him, and so on. But it all has to be paid.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2