Brandon Aiyuk officially requests a trade

SCBills

17 hours ago, FireChans said:

It’s the correct take.

I have seen the argument that Deebo is more important to their offense than Aiyuk. Which may be true.

The question is who will be more valuable to their offense two years from now. And the answer is clearly Aiyuk.

This is a mistake by the Niners who will end up with an injured old Deebo and an offense with limited talent otherwise around a $40+M Brock Purdy. 

17 hours ago, NewEra said:

Seems to me like it was a mistake-  speaking of Deebos contract.  That is what looks to be standing in the way.  

Imo, Brock is looking at 53m+ if he plays like he did last season 

Neither Deebo nor Aiyuk are in the 9ers plan for two years from now, after they have to pay Purdy. At that point, they'll have a couple more WRs on rookie contracts (a la Pearsall) to work through Shanahans offense while they dedicate more of the cap to Purdy, OL, and McCaffery.

That's kinda the extreme spectrum NFL teams have to decide on with the WR market. Do they spend a lot of money on known vet WRs? Or draft some cheaper talent to balance out paying other positions? Once you pay your QB you almost have to go that latter, like the Bills have shifted to. Otherwise you end up like Miami with a high paid QB, 2 high paid WRs, no OL and no Defense. Cincy is in this predicament right now with Higgins and even worse so with Chase, and why they drafted Burton....

Edited by DrDawkinstein

26 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Neither Deebo nor Aiyuk are in the 9ers plan for two years from now, after they have to pay Purdy. At that point, they'll have a couple more WRs on rookie contracts (a la Pearsall) to work through Shanahans offense while they dedicate more of the cap to Purdy, OL, and McCaffery.

That's kinda the extreme spectrum NFL teams have to decide on with the WR market. Do they spend a lot of money on known vet WRs? Or draft some cheaper talent to balance out paying other positions? Once you pay your QB you almost have to go that latter, like the Bills have shifted to. Otherwise you end up like Miami with a high paid QB, 2 high paid WRs, no OL and no Defense. Cincy is in this predicament right now with Higgins and even worse so with Chase, and why they drafted Burton....

I don’t know if this is case, but could be right.  

if he wasn’t in their plans, they wouldn’t have offered him 27.5M aav

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I don’t know if this is case, but could be right.  

if he wasn’t in their plans, they wouldn’t have offered him 27.5M aav

In their plans "to a limit", and once they hit a certain $ amount, they get too far down that high-priced spectrum that starts hindering other areas.

I'm sure they'd all be in their plan at team-friendly rates. But the FO is realistic.

We also dont know the length and guaranteed amounts in the 9ers offer. I have to imagine it was more complicated than $27.5M because that is only $5M less than what Pitt signed him at if everything else is equal (4/$110M vs 4/$115M).

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Agree 1

I have no doubt that the 49ers are looking for someone back at wide receiver. A recent article I read said that Piersall is having trouble separating in camp.  And he also recently had a shoulder injury.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

In their plans "to a limit", and once they hit a certain $ amount, they get too far down that high-priced spectrum that starts hindering other areas.

I'm sure they'd all be in their plan at team-friendly rates. But the FO is realistic.

We also dont know the length and guaranteed amounts in the 9ers offer. I have to imagine it was more complicated than $27.5M because that is only $5M less than what Pitt signed him at if everything else is equal (4/$110M vs 4/$115M).

Yeah- sounds like the Amon ra contract t really screwed them good.  There’s a reason he hasn’t been traded yet and why they weren’t looking to move him unless they got a big bag for him.  

It’s my belief that they want him long term and their inability to move deebo (due to his contract) is why he won’t be there long term.  I don’t believe that 2-3M would keep them from that.  Jmo- could def be wrong

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

What?

I completely disagree with this entire take. They can easily pay Aiyuk 2 years from now while Brock’s contract is ramping up. Especially with a Deebo contract coming off the books along with Trent Williams likely retired by that point.

The Bills were able to pay Diggs a really high salary for the first 3 seasons of Josh’s extension. Philly is paying Brown and Smith with Jalen Hurts locked up. 

When you are not a poverty franchise (read: the Bengals) it’s very easy to keep a big QB contract’s cap number low for the first couple years. The Bills just did this. The Eagles are doing this. The Bengals can’t/won’t because they are poor, which is why Burrow’s contract in its second year has a $13M BIGGER hit than Josh’s second year. 

This is a total meme take about not being able to pay a single WR because of QB contracts. Did we start paying Josh yesterday or did we give him gigantic money over 3 years ago?

• Agree 2

@DrDawkinstein

More to the point:

Jared Goff is the fifth highest paid QB in football right now. He has a $32M hit in 24.

St. Brown, with his gigantic extension, has a cap hit of just $4M this season and only $13.9M net season.

There is no Sophie's choice between paying a QB or paying a WR until well into a QB's extension.

A Brock Purdy extension wouldn't even start until 2025 at the EARLIEST. If they keep his cap hit lower by amortizing his money into signing bonuses, they can easily give themselves 2-3 years of relatively low cap hits. So now, we are talking about 2027 at the EARLIEST that they start to take his cap medicine. They can easily pay Aiyuk through that point, and again, they can even keep his cap hit low for the first few years of his extension as well. 

Aiyuk couldn't be in their plans past 25?  Bah.

15 minutes ago, FireChans said:

What?

I completely disagree with this entire take. They can easily pay Aiyuk 2 years from now while Brock’s contract is ramping up. Especially with a Deebo contract coming off the books along with Trent Williams likely retired by that point.

The Bills were able to pay Diggs a really high salary for the first 3 seasons of Josh’s extension. Philly is paying Brown and Smith with Jalen Hurts locked up. 

When you are not a poverty franchise (read: the Bengals) it’s very easy to keep a big QB contract’s cap number low for the first couple years. The Bills just did this. The Eagles are doing this. The Bengals can’t/won’t because they are poor, which is why Burrow’s contract in its second year has a $13M BIGGER hit than Josh’s second year. 

This is a total meme take about not being able to pay a single WR because of QB contracts. Did we start paying Josh yesterday or did we give him gigantic money over 3 years ago?

If they're hesitant to pay aiyuk now why would they want to do it when he's 2yrs older

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

If they're hesitant to pay aiyuk now why would they want to do it when he's 2yrs older

That's not the point. They would be signing him to a contract now.

The argument that "they can't pay one of Deebo/Aiyuk a big contract now because Brock Purdy will eventually have a big cap hit" doesn't hold water.

It's criminal for a Bills fan who watched the Bills sign Josh to a gigantic contract in 2021, and watched them pay Diggs big money and extend him to even bigger money during Josh's gigantic contract to believe.

That's the point.

Just now, FireChans said:

That's not the point. They would be signing him to a contract now.

The argument that "they can't pay one of Deebo/Aiyuk a big contract now because Brock Purdy will eventually have a big cap hit" doesn't hold water.

It's criminal for a Bills fan who watched the Bills sign Josh to a gigantic contract in 2021, and watched them pay Diggs big money and extend him to even bigger money during Josh's gigantic contract to believe.

That's the point.

I mean yes they can afford it, they just don't want to

I thought you meant something different nm

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I mean yes they can afford it, they just don't want to

I thought you meant something different nm

I agree with that. If they wanted to pay him, he'd be paid lmao.

Like I said earlier, I think it may be true that they value Deebo more in their system. I think choosing Deebo over Aiyuk at this stage of the game is the wrong move, and if I made the call, I would choose Aiyuk over Deebo.

Mostly because I think there's a strong possibility Deebo falls off a cliff and they end with the Brocketship inked on a huge deal, neither Aiyuk or Deebo on the roster and he proves himself to be the Tua-West that he clearly is and it cooks them for a couple seasons.

IMO, the long-term play is to keep a great receiving talent around Brock Purdy as long as possible, and Aiyuk has a far better chance at being that.

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I agree with that. If they wanted to pay him, he'd be paid lmao.

Like I said earlier, I think it may be true that they value Deebo more in their system. I think choosing Deebo over Aiyuk at this stage of the game is the wrong move, and if I made the call, I would choose Aiyuk over Deebo.

Mostly because I think there's a strong possibility Deebo falls off a cliff and they end with the Brocketship inked on a huge deal, neither Aiyuk or Deebo on the roster and he proves himself to be the Tua-West that he clearly is and it cooks them for a couple seasons.

IMO, the long-term play is to keep a great receiving talent around Brock Purdy as long as possible, and Aiyuk has a far better chance at being that.

shanahan had issues w aiyuk at one point, didn't like his attitude or something

personally id try to keep them both for as long as possible but we've see the better guy moved before, thats how we got diggs

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, FireChans said:

@DrDawkinstein

More to the point:

Jared Goff is the fifth highest paid QB in football right now. He has a $32M hit in 24.

St. Brown, with his gigantic extension, has a cap hit of just $4M this season and only $13.9M net season.

There is no Sophie's choice between paying a QB or paying a WR until well into a QB's extension.

A Brock Purdy extension wouldn't even start until 2025 at the EARLIEST. If they keep his cap hit lower by amortizing his money into signing bonuses, they can easily give themselves 2-3 years of relatively low cap hits. So now, we are talking about 2027 at the EARLIEST that they start to take his cap medicine. They can easily pay Aiyuk through that point, and again, they can even keep his cap hit low for the first few years of his extension as well. 

Aiyuk couldn't be in their plans past 25?  Bah.

Sorry if it wasnt clear, I was mainly talking about paying TWO receivers. They're locked into Deebo for his role in Shanahan's Offense, but I dont see him lasting much longer health-wise.

They obviously tried to sign Aiyuk to a big deal, but not as big as the WR market would dictate.

I know you have Philly as an example of 2 WRs and a QB getting paid, but we'll see what that does to their team building options going forward. It has already decimated Miami (not that I mind that).

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Sorry if it wasnt clear, I was mainly talking about paying TWO receivers. They're locked into Deebo for his role in Shanahan's Offense, but I dont see him lasting much longer health-wise.

They obviously tried to sign Aiyuk to a big deal, but not as big as the WR market would dictate.

I know you have Philly as an example of 2 WRs and a QB getting paid, but we'll see what that does to their team building options going forward. It has already decimated Miami (not that I mind that).

Got it. When you said neither Aiyuk or Deebo are in their plans two years from now, I thought you were trying to say they can’t keep either of them longer term.

Philly interesting because Jalen Hurts’ deal is truly cap voodoo and I have no idea how it’s gonna play out lol. He had a void year with a $97M cap hit in 2029. I don’t even know where to start with interpreting it. 

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Got it. When you said neither Aiyuk or Deebo are in their plans two years from now, I thought you were trying to say they can’t keep either of them longer term.

Philly interesting because Jalen Hurts’ deal is truly cap voodoo and I have no idea how it’s gonna play out lol. He had a void year with a $97M cap hit in 2029. I don’t even know where to start with interpreting it. 

Agree with the Hurts contract.  When I look at it his yearly salary is all vet minimums and he collects his pay through option bonuses.

It looks to me like it is pre-restructured at signing to push the max out for all his years.

It's crazy.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/47648/jalen-hurts/contract/cap

26 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Agree with the Hurts contract.  When I look at it his yearly salary is all vet minimums and he collects his pay through option bonuses.

It looks to me like it is pre-restructured at signing to push the max out for all his years.

It's crazy.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/47648/jalen-hurts/contract/cap

$160M in cap hits of his $255M contract comes from void years.  2029 is a $97M void year.  The NFL needs to rid itself of void years, it pretty much equates to not having a cap.

23 hours ago, dma0034 said:

Pickens and Aiyuk (Jefferson as the 3rd) with Friermuth and Warren out of the backfield will definitely give Fields (he's going to be starting sooner rather than later imo) some very nice weapons if this happens. Definitely some firepower on Offense to keep up with the AFC North rivals. If this happens I'm picking up Fields late in fantasy drafts

Maybe they look to move Pickens. Dudes talent is absurd enough to male him extremely attractive, but pitt might be leery of giving him a 2nd contract already. Dudes a butthead and that's only after a year (or 2? But I think 1)

13 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

$160M in cap hits of his $255M contract comes from void years.  2029 is a $97M void year.  The NFL needs to rid itself of void years, it pretty much equates to not having a cap.

It all has to be paid in the end.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Maybe they look to move Pickens. Dudes talent is absurd enough to male him extremely attractive, but pitt might be leery of giving him a 2nd contract already. Dudes a butthead and that's only after a year (or 2? But I think 1)

He's been a butthead since college, and likely well before that too. This is like year 20 of him being a butthead.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

They have to cut or extend him basically? https://overthecap.com/thoughts-on-jalen-hurts-255-million-contract-with-the-eagles

Very weird contract.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue