Brandon Aiyuk officially requests a trade

SCBills

2 hours ago, Herc11 said:

Typically if the team is willing to trade, when a player asks the team grants the player permission to seek a trade themselves. This keeps other teams from violating the tampering rules.

the 49ers would be the ones already fielding offers.  A player can’t arrange a trade.  

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s not remotely correct. Disputes between players and their teams often hurt the team. Though it wasn’t contract related, you don’t have to look any further than the dispute between Diggs and the Bills to see a team hurt. Unless you don’t think the $31M dead cap we got hit with this year is an issue. 

Lynch and the 49ers have screwed up similar situations multiple times over the last few seasons so I wouldn’t put too much stock in what they’re doing. As I explained, SF doesn’t really have a lot of good options. Be specific about what great option they have if you disagree.

As for Aiyuk, he’s got generational wealth on the line. I do not blame him one bit for doing everything he can to get that before putting it at risk this season. 

Aiyuk is going to get his generational wealth no matter what.  Requesting a trade doesn’t get him there.  

Also, he’s not a problem in the way Diggs was.  The Bills dumped him and the fans yawned. 

49ers have the same 4 options all teams do: extend him, make him play out his contract, trade him or cut him.  Obviously the last one doesn’t happen.  But Aiyuk either shows up or he doesn’t get paid.  He signed a contract…he has no leverage.  49ers aren’t going to come crawling to the table because he asked for a trade.  49ers fans aren’t getting riled up over that request.  Why would they? They know how this goes. 

50 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

The threat of being a distraction for the team going forward.  

it’s been such for a while now.  Same with Deebo.  The 49ers aren’t sweating it.  This is the modern NFL.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

His $30m ask plus the draft compensation is going to limit the teams interested IMHO, so I am not so sure he has as many suitors as you suggested.  And I think if the Niners could get a 1st and 2nd they would have already pulled the trigger because that is getting into the "an offer they can't refuse" territory for a WR, especially for one while very good isn't in the consensus top 5 of his own position.

I agree, that's part of the reason why I wouldn't give a first and a second.  And you're right, if someone offered a first and second, he would be on that new time already.  But because of the new contract he wants, my best guess is he'll be traded for a 2nd, or maybe a 2nd + 4th or something like that.

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

the 49ers would be the ones already fielding offers.  A player can’t arrange a trade.  

Diggs chose Houston at the Pro Bowl. For most athletes in the US, the NBA has provided a model for a player-run league. Now, in the NFL both Diggs and Rodgers have not only forced a trade but also chosen their destination. I expect this to become the norm moving forward.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Aiyuk is going to get his generational wealth no matter what.  Requesting a trade doesn’t get him there.  

Also, he’s not a problem in the way Diggs was.  The Bills dumped him and the fans yawned. 

49ers have the same 4 options all teams do: extend him, make him play out his contract, trade him or cut him.  Obviously the last one doesn’t happen.  But Aiyuk either shows up or he doesn’t get paid.  He signed a contract…he has no leverage.  49ers aren’t going to come crawling to the table because he asked for a trade.  49ers fans aren’t getting riled up over that request.  Why would they? They know how this goes. 

it’s been such for a while now.  Same with Deebo.  The 49ers aren’t sweating it.  This is the modern NFL.

You still haven’t answered the main question: what’s SF’s play? Making him play out this season and getting a comp pick? Sure, they can do that, but that’s a poor outcome for the team unless they win the SB this season. 

I was gaming out what would be best for BOTH sides. You’re biased in favor of the team and that seems to be keeping you from seeing the larger picture. Making a deal would be in both of their best interests. But if they can’t come to an agreement, then getting some value in trade would be in SF’s best interest. And Aiyuk would still get his big contract. 

7 hours ago, Logic said:

I expect the Steelers or Commanders to be the destination if he gets traded.

I will echo @HappyDays and say that adding a guy like Aiyuk would transform the entire offense and have a ripple effect, the likes of which its tough to overstate the potential ramifications.

Unfortunately, I don't think Beane is particularly keen on handing out a $30 million receiver contract right after he just got out of the Diggs contract, and I also think he's happy with the current WR room.

That's where I am. Two months ago I was absolutely pounding the table for an Aiyuk trade and if it happens I won't be upset: the Bills get a WR1 to let Coleman develop plus seeing what they get from Samuel and Shakir. But it will be expensive in more ways than one: to even fit Aiyuk in the cap this year Beane would probably have to give up extra for the Niners to hold salary. Then there is paying Aiyuk in a WR market primed to explode.

Alternately Beane can follow the plan that has been laid out: go with bigger bodies guys, push Kincaid as the focal and pray the two of his low risk bets pays out. I suspect Beane will want to see how it rides and maybe try pulling the trigger mid season 

7 hours ago, Logic said:

I will echo @HappyDays and say that adding a guy like Aiyuk would transform the entire offense and have a ripple effect, the likes of which its tough to overstate the potential ramifications.

Unfortunately, I don't think Beane is particularly keen on handing out a $30 million receiver contract right after he just got out of the Diggs contract, and I also think he's happy with the current WR room.

And he has a close to $30M cap hit against Diggs for this season,

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I am doubtful they see Kincaid getting 60 more targets this year, that would put him over 150 and near what Diggs got last year.  Their motto has been "everyone eats", so seems they plan to be less heavy on anyone player and spread the extra targets around more.  

Now I do think Shakir could see 40-60 more targets this year, but that is because he only had 45 last year yet still finished with 38 rec for 611 yards and they have talked about him as having a much bigger role this year.  So in a bigger role him getting 85-105 targets isn't an unreasonable expectation.  

This just seems like a terrible idea to me but I hope I'm wrong.

26 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

This just seems like a terrible idea to me but I hope I'm wrong.

You are right.

Because "everyone eats" only works if the offense produces enough to feed everyone.

The Daboll Bills had a season with a near record for individuals who scored a TD in a season.  

Everyone ATE because they had a superstar WR1 paired with that superstar QB.

Having a star weapon creates space for everyone else.  

There just isn't any logic in the idea that they are better off without a difference making star WR. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Bills Bud said:

We probably would have had a shot at him, if we didn’t sign all these mediocre at best WRs. 

I don’t know how anyone can be happy with our WR room

Our WR room turned out to be pretty poor last year.  And we made changes.  I like what we did.  

The constant complaining on this message board is a bit much.  Do a lot of you sit around all offseason bemoaning what we don’t do?  

I am super excited that training camp is upon us.  That means football is almost here.  I love that.  And I love watching Josh Allen laying waste to the NFL.  

I trust Brandon Beane and know the team we put on the field this year is going to kick some big time ass.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Milanos Milano said:

I’d much rather have Adams. 

Not me. Adams age scares the heck out of me. He's also coming off his lowest ypr since his second year in the league. We can make excuses for him and say his QB play was bad but that's not a gamble I want to take on a guy his age. It would almost certainly have to be structured as a one year deal. 

One of the things I love about Aiyuk is that he seems to be a low volume target receiver. Each of the last two seasons he had 114 targets in 17 games and 105 targets in 16. Adams is more like Diggs, maybe even worse so in that he's averaging like 170 targets per season whereas Diggs would average about 160. I like the idea of spreading the ball around more. 

The top four targeted receivers for the 49ers last year were all around the same:

Aiyuk 105

Kittle 90

Samuel 89

McCaffery 83

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

I'm gonna be so pissed if he somehow ends up on the Dolphins or Jets...

The jets are up against the cap and the Dolphins have two expensive WRs already.

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Adding Aiyuk or Adams would immediately transform our pass catchers to a top 8ish group IMO. Having a legit #1 outside WR on the roster changes everything. Shakir and Samuel would have much more favorable matchups. MVS and Claypool would be fighting it out for the 6th spot instead of both likely seeing a significant amount of targets. Coleman could be eased in. Hollins could mainly just focus on special teams.

I hope Beane at least tries. He tried to give Arik Armstead the same money that Jacksonville gave him. Use that money and give Allen the caliber of weapons that he deserves.

I hope Beane tries too, but only if it were for Adams.  jmho of course.

Go Bills!!

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You are right.

Because "everyone eats" only works if the offense produces enough to feed everyone.

The Daboll Bills had a season with a near record for individuals who scored a TD in a season.  

Everyone ATE because they had a superstar WR1 paired with that superstar QB.

Having a star weapon creates space for everyone else.  

There just isn't any logic in the idea that they are better off without a difference making star WR. 

The main question that is still unanswered for me, at least, is: IS Aiyuk that "star weapon (who) creates space for everyone else"? 

I don't necessarily trust his ability to fully translate and thrive in a different system, away from Shanny (and that STACKED offensive depth chart). Definitely don't trust it enough to justify the two-pronged price he'll cost (both trade and cap). That's my main objection. So really I'm not satisfied that Aiyuk is a sure enough bet on the field to justify his trade value and long term salary cap impact. 

Pretty much everyone else DOES think Aiyuk's expensive juice is worth the squeeze (sorry)?

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't know about that.  This is their last hurrah with this current Super Bowl ready roster.  It's risky, if that's their plan.  

5 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Our WR room turned out to be pretty poor last year.  And we made changes.  I like what we did.  

The constant complaining on this message board is a bit much.  Do a lot of you sit around all offseason bemoaning what we don’t do?  

Like last offseason when a lot of us were bemoaning that the Bills should've aggressively pursue Hopkins because our WR room might be mediocre with the underwhelming additions of Hardy and Sherfield.  We're raising the red flag again and remember it come January of 2025.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Logic said:

Unfortunately, I agree.

But it is the dog days before camp, so we can dream and push this thread on toward 100.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Not me. Adams age scares the heck out of me. He's also coming off his lowest ypr since his second year in the league. We can make excuses for him and say his QB play was bad but that's not a gamble I want to take on a guy his age. It would almost certainly have to be structured as a one year deal. 

One of the things I love about Aiyuk is that he seems to be a low volume target receiver. Each of the last two seasons he had 114 targets in 17 games and 105 targets in 16. Adams is more like Diggs, maybe even worse so in that he's averaging like 170 targets per season whereas Diggs would average about 160. I like the idea of spreading the ball around more. 

The top four targeted receivers for the 49ers last year were all around the same:

Aiyuk 105

Kittle 90

Samuel 89

McCaffery 83

Who were his QBs again?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1