Brandon Aiyuk officially requests a trade

SCBills

We probably would have had a shot at him, if we didn’t sign all these mediocre at best WRs. 

33 minutes ago, Logic said:

I expect the Steelers or Commanders to be the destination if he gets traded.

I will echo @HappyDays and say that adding a guy like Aiyuk would transform the entire offense and have a ripple effect, the likes of which its tough to overstate the potential ramifications.

Unfortunately, I don't think Beane is particularly keen on handing out a $30 million receiver contract right after he just got out of the Diggs contract, and I also think he's happy with the current WR room.

I don’t know how anyone can be happy with our WR room

Edited by Bills Bud

1 minute ago, Bills Bud said:

We probably would have had a shot at him, if we didn’t sign all these mediocre at best WRs. 

They can restructure his deal to have a shot at him.    Question is whether they want to give another disgruntled wideout tons of money. 

41 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Adding Aiyuk or Adams would immediately transform our pass catchers to a top 8ish group IMO. Having a legit #1 outside WR on the roster changes everything. Shakir and Samuel would have much more favorable matchups. MVS and Claypool would be fighting it out for the 6th spot instead of both likely seeing a significant amount of targets. Coleman could be eased in. Hollins could mainly just focus on special teams.

I hope Beane at least tries. He tried to give Arik Armstead the same money that Jacksonville gave him. Use that money and give Allen the caliber of weapons that he deserves.

I’d much rather have Adams. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Xerx said:

I'm not certain it was clearly getting out of a $30m WR contract versus getting value before you cut a 30yr old WR about to need a 3rd contract

25yr old getting 2nd contract at 25-30m isn't the same risk/issue

Diggs was not about to need a new contract.  He was on the team through 2027.  But agree this is a different contract than that.

9 minutes ago, Bills Bud said:

I don’t know how anyone can be happy with our WR room

I'm really happy with our RB, TE, and OL rooms so my concerns about WR are much less.  You cant have everything with the cap.  We chose not to invest in WR.  Whether that works or not is the question.

53 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

what's the point of requesting a trade?  it's the team's prerogative--and it's likely they have already considered it.  their price isn't out there so they are holding pat for now.  they got him for another year

The point of going public with a trade request is obviously to escalate the situation. It gets it into the public sphere again and could spur some trade talks prior to the start of training camps. It’s worth noting that SF’s GM, Lynch, has performed absolutely abysmally in similar situations. I expect that Aiyuk ends up playing in SF this year and then walks for a comp pick or gets tagged and traded for little next off-season.

There are not many viable trade partners anyway. SF would need to get a quality WR to help them compete this year plus draft capital back. Not much out there right now. Cleveland would be the best option I can think of. Amari Cooper, who is currently holding out, plus a day 2 pick (or similar package of picks) makes sense. And Cleveland would pay him. But it’s unlikely. 

Could this type of thing be what Beane saw in his crystal ball coming down the pike with Steph 🤔 and something like this was the biggest reason why he did what he did when he did it ??

HMMMM Vedy interesting ...

16 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

They can restructure his deal to have a shot at him.    Question is whether they want to give another disgruntled wideout tons of money. 

He’s on the last year of his contract.  There’s nothing to restructure.  They’d have to give him a long term extension in order to free up money in 2024, and it would be massive.

This is where Beane does some restructures and we get excited and then he does nothing with the money

1 hour ago, Low Positive said:

The Niners still don't have to trade him. The Bengals told both Tee Higgins and Trey Hendrickson to pound sand and that's what I think the Niners will do here. Shannahan is a big enough personality to handle a disgruntled player. 

So, that's what they were doing at the beach. I thought it was weird to see 2 guys punching sand. But now it totally makes sense

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I expect the Steelers or Commanders to be the destination if he gets traded.

I will echo @HappyDays and say that adding a guy like Aiyuk would transform the entire offense and have a ripple effect, the likes of which its tough to overstate the potential ramifications.

Unfortunately, I don't think Beane is particularly keen on handing out a $30 million receiver contract right after he just got out of the Diggs contract, and I also think he's happy with the current WR room.

I will un-echo @ Happydays thoughts on adding a 30 million dollar WR.  While I will echo the thought that Beane is happy with the current WRs.

If the Bills had that kind of money to spend I'd hope to see them go for a top pass rusher who would be a better and more needed addition IMHO.

This team is still stinging from the Diggs 2024 cap hit...

Lastly, I can imagine Samuel and MVS out wide,  Shakir in the slot, Kincaid at tight end, and Coleman coming off the bench at X and big slot?  Plus, the WR room still has a few unknowns like Shorter, Shavers, Hollins, Claypool, hamler, Isabella, Johnson, and Keys. 

I can imagine McD would love to have another WR come over in a trade that was disgruntled with his last team.    

Besides, they have Chase Claypool and if he has a career season after being pretty much out of the league he'll be their WR1, er X.  

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The problem with Aiyuk is he has established himself as a whiner.  Showing that me-first attitude that is hard to deal with.  And Aiyuk wants top dollar.  Although in this instance I guess a lot of it could be put off into the future.

I agree with the sentiment, just getting a top tier WR changes the whole complexion/makeup of the WR room.  The odds of it happening this season seem low but one of Aiyuk/Adams/Metcalf/Dhop would really help.

Putting it off to future is what Beane did with Diggs and the money which he did not have to give Diggs did not last very long.