UB Football $15 flash sale (now over)

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

They did for a little bit when they began to string together winning seasons under Leipold and the coach prior.

Problem is, UB has to constantly hire new coaches because anytime they hire someone here and they have success, they get poached by bigger schools. Then have to repeat the process over and over again...hard to sustain success that way by constantly changing coaching staffs, schemes, having to rebuild the roster with players that fit the scheme, etc. 

Now they are back to being nowhere again with this program. especially after their previous head coach bolted to be a position coach on Alabama's staff and got a pay raise to do it.  The deck is stacked against them.

It's getting to be the same for larger schools other than the cream of the cream programs. NIL changes everything. Conference expansion has an impact too. 

But it also creates a new paradigm. Conferences like the MAC get raided for talent. So they have to reload every year. Which means you can bounce back from an awful season quickly because the entire deck is reshuffled. There's a lot of hope this year with new HC Pete Lembo. He's a very experienced coach unlike con artist Mo Linguist was.

Plus their schedule is looking favorable. If they simply play competent football, they should be bowl eligible.

2 hours ago, Frostbite said:

Do they still have the tailgate concert series? They brought some great bands in when I was there - Old Dominion was probably the most well known band that came. That alone made the price of admission worth it. 

No more name bands. They tried that but it had little effect on attendance. But they still have Tailgate Square with food trucks, kids area, picnic tables, maybe a deejay or local band

FYI the sale is over.

• PromoTheRobot changed the title to UB Football $15 flash sale (now over)
22 hours ago, DapperCam said:

People go crazy for professional lacrosse and corn festivals. I imagine that with a little bit of imagination and program identity the Bulls could draw better.

We draw the same average attendance as Western Michigan, which is in Kalamazoo, i.e. the literal middle of nowhere. We get outdrawn by Toledo recently, a significantly smaller metro. Not to mention UB undergraduate enrollment is 3x WMU and 2x Toledo. It's just sad.

I think the demographic UB draws is part of the issue. You’re not going to get these Long Island students to care about college football. College football just isn’t part of the culture. That’s why some of the smaller southern schools draw good numbers. UB just doesn’t have the students who are going to care, and it hurts attendance. 

Edited by SirAndrew

3 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I think the demographic UB draws is part of the issue. You’re not going to get these Long Island students to care about college football. College football just isn’t part of the culture. That’s why some of the smaller southern schools draw good numbers. UB just doesn’t have the students who are going to care, and it hurts attendance. 

Not sure it's being from downstate or not having much athletic tradition.