Chris Brown officially hired as full time Radio PBP Broadcaster for the Bills

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

well they say it takes money to make money.  the point was making money hand over fist in the NFL is the default position.  a frozen cabbage could do so. 

But does the frozen cabbage have the up front cheese to get a seat at the table…, lol, 

we need another vegetable analogy in this conversation 

Edited by Don Otreply

1 hour ago, Ray Finkel said:

I’m sure they did an exhaustive search just like they did with Lindy 

This. I highly doubt they gave each of the "200" applicants a balanced chance and listen. Someone here called it months ago .They'll fill the EOE requirements and hire Brown. If Chris can tone the manufactured enthusiasm and save it for the appropriate time, he might get better. At least it wasn't Sal. He did my nephew's championship game last year and it was absolutely brutal.

Come on guys.  Would you rather have someone like Nantz call the iconic Hines run with phrases such "This is storybook."

Or Brown.........

"Run as fast you can.  You're not touching Hines.  He's your end zone man."

• Haha (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

But does the frozen cabbage have the up front coinage to get a seat at the table…, lol, 

Lol

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I'm guessing you love Dunleavy with the Sabres as well.

Dunleavy on himself a couple days ago:

‘“Ted Darling, of course, the original voice of the Buffalo Sabres, is who I grew up watching on TV and listening to,” he said, pointing to a poster of him. “There’s a little bit of Ted Darling in how I call the game — some long-time Sabres fans might pick up on that.”’

.....sounds like sombody is impressed with themselves.

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

But does the frozen cabbage have the up front coinage to get a seat at the table…, lol, 

Let us alone with your nonsense. 🤨

😁

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I actually like his play by play, I thought Murph was terrible doing play by play, however, i really liked Murph as the color commentator. Murph just tried to much to come up with a great call phrase. 

Noone is gonna have the same likes as anyone else I suppose, if you dont like him listen to the tv slobfest of Romo and company..lol

1 hour ago, US Egg said:

Dunleavy on himself a couple days ago:

‘“Ted Darling, of course, the original voice of the Buffalo Sabres, is who I grew up watching on TV and listening to,” he said, pointing to a poster of him. “There’s a little bit of Ted Darling in how I call the game — some long-time Sabres fans might pick up on that.”’

.....sounds like sombody is impressed with themselves.

This is pathetic. Ted could sneeze for 3 periods and sound better than Dunleavy. What an ego on him. He incredibly gets worse season after season. No sense of style and is straight up boring. Long, unnecessary conversations with Ray while the action is going on. And God help you if you're driving because you'll have no idea what's going on. While I'm at it, the whole broadcast has been bad going back to the Empire days. Sad when I have to look on my phone for shot totals during the game. Replays are terrible too.

9 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Meh...

Probably have the worst combo in all of pro sports now with Brown and Dunleavy after having the best with Van Miller and RJ for so long...how far we have fallen...

Here’s my theory….Considering that the Bills didn’t offer the job to Brown when Murphy retired and still held a search, it leads me to believe more established PBP candidates wanted more money than Bills were willing to pay.  

They settled on Brown given his familiarity and got him at a nominal salary compared some of the top candidates available.  

Personally, I think Brown is a “meh” announcer and hoped the Bills would do better.  Then again, I rarely listen to the radio broadcasts.  

2 hours ago, gomper said:

This. I highly doubt they gave each of the "200" applicants a balanced chance and listen. Someone here called it months ago .They'll fill the EOE requirements and hire Brown. If Chris can tone the manufactured enthusiasm and save it for the appropriate time, he might get better. At least it wasn't Sal. He did my nephew's championship game last year and it was absolutely brutal.

The Bills are a private organization and aren’t required to post open positions.  They can hire whoever they and could have chosen Brown when Murphy retired.  They still attempted a hiring process which makes me think he wasn’t their first choice

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Someone like Kevin Harlan...best in the business

More like just telling the truth.  

Well DUH !! That would be awesome if they could get him but there's no freakin way !! They would never be able to pay him the money that he's making with the network he's on ... 

The only way he would be even a thought is if he had a home in the Buffalo region & was going to retire and only wanted to work a part time gig . Great pick but your playing fantasy Football announcer !! 

Have you guys ever listened to the Vikings analysts? Or the Patriots? Bills could do much worse than Chris brown. Also, he'll improve with time. He got thrown into the position after Murphy had a stroke 

11 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Probably have the worst combo in all of pro sports now with Brown and Dunleavy after having the best with Van Miller and RJ for so long...how far we have fallen...

As a person who watches most of the Sabres broadcasts, I think Dunleavy has improved (but he still isn't my favorite). Just listen to the ESPN broadcasts sometimes and Buccigross just goes on and on about nonsense while the play is going on. Just call the game guy! I listen to some other team broadcasts occasionally, and there are some pretty bad announcers out there. I think Dunleavy is now at the top of the bottom third of NHL play-by-play announcers. High praise!

/rant

9 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

You can't possibly want Sal Capaccio as our PBP announcer.  

Murph was "meh"

Brown is worse (but with more enthusiasm)

Sal would be downright unlistenable

Sal is a dope who likes to talk about his illustrious high school football career and brag about being “in the building” while offering nothing besides his shill opinion. I don’t like listening to him for 5 minutes.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, gomper said:

… And God help you if you're driving because you'll have no idea what's going on.

that’s what I loved about RJ most - even as a kid, if I was in the car with my dad I could instantly get a clear picture in my head of what was happening on the ice, almost like I was actually at the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

The team's absolute unwillingness to ever look outside the organization when hiring is truly remarkable.  If McD ever gets fired you can rubber stamp whoever the offensive or defensive coordinator is at the time as the next head coach, no need to even consider other options.

Good for Brownie, he's certainly put in the time to earn it, but I have to believe there are better candidates out there. 

• Agree 1