Chris Brown officially hired as full time Radio PBP Broadcaster for the Bills

On 7/16/2024 at 8:40 AM, Roundybout said:

I don’t get why this franchise is incapable of making good business decisions.

Chris Brown was fine at first, but he has a horrible tendency to SCREAM AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS FOR NO REAL REASON. I also cringe whenever he yells “RIDE EM COWBOY” when Ed Oliver sacks the QB. This is a “safe” pick. 

We don’t do cool alt uniforms, we don’t really have a strong social media platform like the Chargers do, we have bland announcers, it just feels like Pegula is not really willing to try anything different. 

I agree except for the social media part. I think they do a good job.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

The only time I listen to the radio broadcast is when the game starts before I get to/from my intended destination...

"Don't get me started!!!"  Art Wander, 1980s. 😁

Your comment reminded me how badly the 'round table' portion of the pregame radio coverage has fallen, in terms of content and impartiality.  The version of years ago with both print and radio journalists (Felser, Carucci, and others) has devolved into a collection of 'yes men' who bring little to the discussion.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Your comment reminded me how badly the 'round table' portion of the pregame radio coverage has fallen, in terms of content and impartiality.  The version of years ago with both print and radio journalists (Felser, Carucci, and others) has devolved into a collection of 'yes men' who bring little to the discussion.

Omg, this.  Pregame traditionally, was a super comprehensive look at the team, the game, and the league. I had the misfortune of catching it twice last season. Two of the youngsters were talking their FF teams.. It sounded like a college radio station. Does anyone care over at WGR/Bills or do they think this is acceptable?

• Agree 1

If you think Chris Brown is bad, try listening to a race call at Finger Lakes Racetrack.  Their long time announcer, Tony Calo, left & relocated in Kentucky where he's calling races at Turfway Park & Ellis Park.  So they hired Anthony Stabile who left NYRA last year.  He's horrible.  I hope they hire a real race caller next year.  Not that it matters too much to me since I rarely watch or bet on Finger Lakes races.  

https://paulickreport.com/news/horseplayers-category/report-stabile-resigns-from-nyra-television-handicapping-duties

On 7/16/2024 at 12:40 PM, Roundybout said:

I don’t get why this franchise is incapable of making good business decisions.

If they made good BUSINESS decisions they would have moved out of Buffalo a long time ago.

I am sure that is one of the things Jerry Jones told the Pegulas but they decided to stay.

You need to take the good with the bad.

23 hours ago, RiotAct said:

well yeah, it’s a show produced and sponsored by the Bills’ organization.

Given the world-wide exhaustive search for a replacement, and Everest-like high barrier for entry, my conspiracy theory is that Mattie was penciled in for the job until the Diggs debacle.  

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

For me, there was no finer program than “Monday Night Quarterback” on GR I believe with Felser and Murphy (before Murph was a shill)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 7/16/2024 at 11:26 AM, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Slight upgrade from Murph. Would prefer Sal or an outside hore but Brown is a process trusting company guy so this is unsurprising. 

Sal?  NOOOOOOOOOO …he’d spend half the game opining about his adventures with Max, or glorifying his stellar HS and little league coaching career. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Brown did a reasonably good job as a fill in for Murph. He’s a very uninspired hire as the new “ voice of the Bills” though: Radio play by play does still matter and the fans deserve better. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

No one will ever be as good as Van Miller.

Miller called the game without too much 'over the top' histrionics.  Might have had something to do with the crew of in booth spotters he had to identify players.

Murphy must not have had quite the same quality of assistance.  Too many calls of "Touchdown!  TOUCHDOWN!!  TOUCHDOWN BUFFALO!!!"

Brown needs benzos whenever the Bills make a big play, and someone to relieve him of his book of lame sayings.

• Agree 1

On 7/16/2024 at 9:01 AM, Matt_In_NH said:

Van Miller and RJ had enthusiasm.   Raising your voice is good, CB literally screams which is not just enthusiasm

It's a fair imitation of my wife spotting a mouse in the house.  

His overenthusiasm appears disingenuously affected (trying to be Jeanerette), and maybe somewhat effeminate.  He's no Clip Smith in the pun department either in his vain attempts to coin catch phrases.

Personally, I don't much care as I'll probably never have a need to listen to a radio broadcast. The only time I'm subject to it is when they use his voiceover as part of an NFL films presentation.

It'll be an incredibly joyous time when the Bills finally win the Super Bowl.  The only downside will be watching the NFL films Super Bowl reviews with Brown screeching 3 octaves higher than normal, "the Bills are world champions. The Bills are world champions. The Bills are world champions".  Ughhhhh.

BTW - Brown provides great analysis on One Bills Live. The guy does his homework. He is a fairly knowledgeable sports nerd.

He's just not a particularly good voice for play by play in my opinion.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Should I know who this is?

Former ESPN Bills beat reporter and famous Patriot fan … he might have been hated more than Jerry Sullivan, but (insert unpopular opinion), he wasn’t terrible, but the bills were during his tenure. 

21 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Should I know who this is?