Chris Brown officially hired as full time Radio PBP Broadcaster for the Bills

This seems to be a decision that epitomizes Buffalo. There is an unrelenting loyalty / nostalgia that characterizes the city. I left in 2003 and return for a game once a year. I was shocked last year to see that Jackie Walker is still a newscaster. She's like 80 years old. Like Brown hire, there is so much broadcasting talent and limited jobs. Surely, they can find better people. It's great to be loyal and keep up local traditions, but it's like the city that can't move on and embraced the new. For instance, the people still think it's a blue collar factory town when the industries moved out in the 1980s. 

Edited by leonbus23
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/16/2024 at 8:43 AM, Matt_In_NH said:

So now we have to listen to his corny sayings indefinitely?  "now we are cooking with gas"....maybe Wood can just punch him in the face once in a while?

Soon we'll all have to have electric stoves...what then Chris? "Now we're cooking with induction?"

• Dislike 1

12 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

If McD ever gets fired you can rubber stamp whoever the offensive or defensive coordinator is at the time as the next head coach, no need to even consider other options.

After the tenures of Marrone and Ryan, can you blame them for hiring their equipment manager as next HC? 🤔

15 hours ago, Steptide said:

Have you guys ever listened to the Vikings analysts? Or the Patriots? Bills could do much worse than Chris brown. Also, he'll improve with time. He got thrown into the position after Murphy had a stroke 

Someone posted this here a year or 2 ago. Freaking hilarious. 

• Like (+1) 1

The people making the decisions clearly don’t value the home play by by play in any real way. I suppose the marginalization of the audio cast by television has  a lot to do with it. The audio doesn’t matter so much with the telecast. Most games are available for viewing, so who is listening—-truly? The price is right surely for CB. Pegs is always looking for value.  I found the audio tough to listen to last year. Murph stayed on a year too long for sure. But here we are. One would think the voice of a team would mean something from a marketing and recognition angle. CB is a great guy, no doubt, but he does not have a great set of pipes for this work. He lacks big market style. His voice gets too high and he screams too much. Much of that probably is beyond his control. I was fortunate to grow up with giants in broadcasting: Van Miller, Rick Jenerette, Rick Azar, Erv Weinstein. Broadcasting was a profession and your voice was your signature.  Not just in Buffalo but across the country. There are still good voices out there but the bills have chosen easy over great. Maybe Kevin Adams did the search. 

On 7/17/2024 at 11:37 AM, Jimmy Harris 69 said:

The people making the decisions clearly don’t value the home play by by play in any real way. I suppose the marginalization of the audio cast by television has  a lot to do with it. The audio doesn’t matter so much with the telecast. Most games are available for viewing, so who is listening—-truly? The price is right surely for CB. Pegs is always looking for value.  I found the audio tough to listen to last year. Murph stayed on a year too long for sure. But here we are. One would think the voice of a team would mean something from a marketing and recognition angle. CB is a great guy, no doubt, but he does not have a great set of pipes for this work. He lacks big market style. His voice gets too high and he screams too much. Much of that probably is beyond his control. I was fortunate to grow up with giants in broadcasting: Van Miller, Rick Jenerette, Rick Azar, Erv Weinstein. Broadcasting was a profession and your voice was your signature.  Not just in Buffalo but across the country. There are still good voices out there but the bills have chosen easy over great. Maybe Kevin Adams did the search. 

You're probably right on a lot of what you say but given the Buffalo market size and the national television coverage it's understandable to go this route. We were blessed to have RJ all those years and we'll probably not have another one in my opinion.

On 7/17/2024 at 3:43 PM, Fleezoid said:

Someone posted this here a year or 2 ago. Freaking hilarious. 

That's good, but it's not this good.....

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/16/2024 at 1:45 PM, Big Turk said:

Murphy at least was a Sports Anchor on Channel 7 for a long time.

I was kinda hoping Matt Bove would have gotten it...no idea if he has any play by play experience, but I think he could be awesome at it.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/17/2024 at 11:37 AM, Jimmy Harris 69 said:

I was also a huge wrestling fan growing up and it was the same thing listening to Bobby Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon call the matches.  They just don't make em like that anymore unfortunately 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

I don’t know why so many people are unhappy with him.  He’s fine.   What do you guys want?  

Someone who doesn’t blatantly stroke the Bills every chance he gets.

Have you ever listed to One Bills Live? They have all the resources in the world and choose to spin everything so absurdly positive that it’s cringey to nearly the entire fan base. That’s why the other podcasts and radio shows are significantly more popular.

He’s the epitome of an empty suit.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Have you ever listed to One Bills Live? They have all the resources in the world and choose to spin everything so absurdly positive that it’s cringey to nearly the entire fan base. 

well yeah, it’s a show produced and sponsored by the Bills’ organization.