Someone tried blackmailing me on my phone

I have a cell phone but do not use it much and rarely give out number since I discovered many businesses seem to treat it as if it is a commodity to sell.

When returning from Buffalo this weekend I had a text from someone I did not know.   I was using it for driving back roads to PA to avoid I-70 construction /  accidents and it was interfering with giving my wife directions.   It started with text and then person repeated called.  Typical blackmail you get in email - I know you and have information about you.  Some garbage about not blocking his number.  I did not read it all since I was trying to get directions to my wife so when I had opportunity I blocked him which also deleted texts.   No indication on phone that he even knew he was calling.

there are far too many criminal creeps in the world. I am not a cell phone person really either. I am constantly chastised because it will be in my purse with no charge.. 

I know folks live and die with them and yes they are useful but if someone tried that criminal chit on me I would NOT be happy

I'm sorry that happened to you

Edited by muppy

On a related note, someone tried to rob one of my bank branches……from the drive-thru.

It was after 4pm so the lobby was closed. He pulled up in the first lane and demanded $20k in cash. The teller stepped back, out of his view, and he eventually drove away. She told the police “I knew something was up, he was the first person all day to drive up with a towel over their head.” 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/16/2024 at 6:49 AM, Punching Bag said:

I have a cell phone but do not use it much and rarely give out number since I discovered many businesses seem to treat it as if it is a commodity to sell.

When returning from Buffalo this weekend I had a text from someone I did not know.   I was using it for driving back roads to PA to avoid I-70 construction /  accidents and it was interfering with giving my wife directions.   It started with text and then person repeated called.  Typical blackmail you get in email - I know you and have information about you.  Some garbage about not blocking his number.  I did not read it all since I was trying to get directions to my wife so when I had opportunity I blocked him which also deleted texts.   No indication on phone that he even knew he was calling.

How much did you pay them?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

How much did you pay them?

but but but but but but what if they have my kid and he is being kidnapped? THE HORROR 🫠

If your number isn't on my contact list it is ignored. I see nothing wrong with that strategy. If it is really something important they can leave a message I probably won't  listen to.

lol

About 25 years ago I get a knock on my door, open it, well dressed gentleman asks for me. I acknowledge it. Says he’s an investigator and has a few questions. Clueless, I say sure. 

Mind you, I’m paraphrasing, he says “were you at such and such location on this date”? It was in the Buffalo east side. I say no. He looks at me somewhat doubtful. He continues, “so you didn’t witness an assault there and then”. No, I said. He reiterates and adds this regards an attempted murder. I caroused a lot back then, actually thought for a second “was I there?” Anyway, after a bit of back and forth he leaves convinced I wasn’t the person he sought.

About 20 years ago I start receiving notices from creditors for things I have no clue about. I call them explaining they’re mistaken. Not long after, checks start bouncing, call the bank, my savings and checking are frozen. WTF?  Was advised to check my credit report.

There it was, someone local with the same 1st and last name, about my age and their numerous addresses were associated with my credit report. The same someone who likely witnessed the crime.

Now you know the rest of the story..…

• Shocked 1

After I blocked first number (never replied or answered phone) I got a text from a different number.

This number has been blocked as well.  I have no idea what he is talking about.

I guess some in thread find this funny but I don't.

I got a second set of text messages last night.  Clearly English is not his first language.

It refers to previous texts which I barely saw since I was trying to use cell phone when navigating and blocked sender.

All typos left in (note that they use "Mr". not name so they have no idea who they are sending it to):

• Mr. this is Ralph I am commander and Hitman of the service, I was given your information due too an amount your was supposed to pay to the main owner.  Since you was not able to resolver wit the Representative Tony then we have will solve this now with my guys.  You family members are being track right now and ir would be sad if your family member have to pay for your bullsh!t.

I checked both numbers and they are connected to a scam pretending to be part of a charity which charity claims they have nothing to do with.  I'd list it but I do not want it showing up in search results.

The message continues with a video with some hoodlum type guys showing guns they have, a picture of guy on ground with blood splattered and then a close up of him with hole in head size of axe blade.  It looks like CGI to me and most would not be stupid enough to record on video actual killing.  There is some writing on paper on ground which I believe is Spanish ".PLES PARA BUJIAS" meaning ".PLES FOR SPARK PLUGS".  Pictures are too gross to post.

Second part of text message:

• right now my men are on the way to your address with the order to cut off the heads of you and your family,  you  deside pay or die

I have received threatening emails from people in past which when domain owner contacted told that mail headers were forged. 

Talked to a friend and he said these are probably virtual numbers.

I have no idea what he wants since I deleted "Tonys' text messages as they were coming in and terminated phone calls as well.

• Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

After I blocked first number (never replied or answered phone) I got a text from a different number.

I got a second set of text messages last night.  Clearly English is not his first language.

It refers to previous texts which I barely saw since I was trying to use cell phone when navigating and blocked sender.

All typos left in (note that they use "Mr". not name so they have no idea who they are sending it to):

• Mr. this is Ralph I am commander and Hitman of the service, I was given your information due too an amount your was supposed to pay to the main owner.  Since you was not able to resolver wit the Representative Tony then we have will solve this now with my guys.  You family members are being track right now and ir would be sad if your family member have to pay for your bullsh!t.

I checked both numbers and they are connected to a scam pretending to be part of a charity which charity claims they have nothing to do with.  I'd list it but I do not want it showing up in search results.

The message continues with a video with some hoodlum type guys showing guns they have, a picture of guy on ground with blood splattered and then a close up of him with hole in head size of axe blade.  It looks like CGI to me and most would not be stupid enough to record on video actual killing.  There is some writing on paper on ground which I believe is Spanish ".PLES PARA BUJIAS" meaning ".PLES FOR SPARK PLUGS".  Pictures are too gross to post.

• right now my men are on the way to your address with the order to cut off the heads of you and your family,  you  deside pay or die

I have received threatening emails from people in past which when domain owner contacted told that mail headers were forged. 

I have no idea what he wants since I deleted "Tonys' text messages as they were coming in and terminated phone calls as well.

Sounds like Jimmy Spags!

7 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

This is a phishing scam.  They send out nonsense and see who responds.  Best thing you can do is continue to ignore them.  If they reveal any personal information then call the police.  Chances are some of your info, email and phone, were leaked in a hacking event and are now available on the dark web.  This is probably a bunch of slaves in Myanmar, China, India, or Russia sending you empty threats.

12 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

This is a phishing scam.  They send out nonsense and see who responds.  Best thing you can do is continue to ignore them.  If they reveal any personal information then call the police.  Chances are some of your info, email and phone, were leaked in a hacking event and are now available on the dark web.  This is probably a bunch of slaves in Myanmar, China, India, or Russia sending you empty threats.

Likely it is. Each new number who texts me  I block, record and ignore them. I did not giver my cell phone out at work and when I asked why and I told them because I do not want a year of credit monitoring service by a company which hires hackers. Company said not likely and I told them  I was subject to a work hacking attempt during first month at my job with them.

2 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

Likely it is. Each new number who texts me  I block, record and ignore them. I did not giver my cell phone out at work and when I asked why and I told them because I do not want a year of credit monitoring service by a company which hires hackers. Company said not likely and I told them  I was subject to a work hacking attempt during first month at my job with them.

I believe some of the anti virus providers have identity theft tools which can screen for compromised passwords, leaked personal data, etc.  Intuit and TurboTax offer something.  Worth looking into.  

This case is unusually aggressive and high effort for a phishing scam.  Normally there aren't so many follow ups.  Did you respond to any messages or answer any calls?

Little known fact. You know all those random text message you get?

"we need to catch up, it's been awhile"

" are we still on for later"

etc.

They're building cold calling lists. When you respond they know you have an active mobile number. Never respond to these even if it's to screw with them. 

15 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I believe some of the anti virus providers have identity theft tools which can screen for compromised passwords, leaked personal data, etc.  Intuit and TurboTax offer something.  Worth looking into.  

This case is unusually aggressive and high effort for a phishing scam.  Normally there aren't so many follow ups.  Did you respond to any messages or answer any calls?

Three calls on Monday driving from Buffalo thru PA mountains I blocked after they repeatedly sent texts.  Surprised me for often I do not even have cell phone active (no location and other full privacy settings set) but first guy sent one text after another and only text I saw that  remember was "We have information on you (not exact quote).

I was hoping someone had some ideas on other things to do - contacting police I do not believe will be helpful.  Will try cell company but think only thing they could do would be to prove two numbers were coming from same computer.

17 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Little known fact. You know all those random text message you get?

"we need to catch up, it's been awhile"

" are we still on for later"

etc.

They're building cold calling lists. When you respond they know you have an active mobile number. Never respond to these even if it's to screw with them. 

I get a lot of calls these days but mostly doctors offices but unfortunately some work from home using own unidentified phones.  If it is a text I can read it but no idea with MMS messages if they can trace images in them like you can webpages.

Some scammers are simply criminals, and some are held against their will and forced to do this work, so my default is to not engage at all.

I block/report spam all numbers that are not on my contact list. I understand many are spoofed.

Many calls and texts are automated and really only serve to build lists of valid numbers.

You can try to reduce the last by turning off your 'read' receipts so they don't identify a valid number. Maybe keeps your number off a few more lists.

iphone

android

1 hour ago, Punching Bag said:

Damn, sounds like a plot in a movie.....and makes my post so lame.