I ran over a baby duck.

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Been seeing lots of dead porcupines by the side of the road this spring/summer.  Coincidence?

A lot more deal animals on recent trip to and back from Buffalo.

I suspect the increased heat and decreased water has forced more animals to cross roads to look for food and water.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

A lot more deal animals on recent trip to and back from Buffalo.

I suspect the increased heat and decreased water has forced more animals to cross roads to look for food and water.

I was wondering about the increased heat/humidity.  Not sure about all areas of the country, but we’ve had rain just about every day here in Vermont.  Record rainfalls and flooding on a couple days.  Ponds, wetlands, river and streams are all overflowing.

One other possible factor is all the road construction on the chunk of Rt 7 that I drive multiple times/week.  They’re replacing one bridge and resurfacing the roads in many areas.  That must have the animals all f’ed up.

1 hour ago, Fleezoid said:

image.png.1c88da8b0a9d255296b5090c8d123a34.pngimage.png.cba4342ac801147c39ca15de3f24340b.png

I said 3 quacked of contritions and moved on.

On 7/16/2024 at 12:24 PM, BritBill said:

I'm currently getting angry with seagulls. Early morning seagulls. With their wings and squawky beaks making a commotion at 4am every morning. We're 45 miles from the sea. Piss off back to the coast and concentrate on stealing rough folk's chips you feathery little freaks. 

I absolutely feel your pain.  I'm in London for a week and the gulls at 4am have been so damn annoying haha

They come through in one giant flock of squawk at 4, then take a break for a while, then back again at 5:30.  I flew 6000 miles to get some r&r, take in the town... and I got seagulls.  )

On 7/15/2024 at 11:35 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Was driving home from my son’s lacrosse practice, and two of them zipped right in front of me as I was going around a sharp corner.  One made it, but the other I greased.  I feel awful.  Thoughts and prayers accepted.  🦆 💀 

Murderer….. 

• Sad 1

I once made contact with a huge vulture on my motorcycle in the San Diego county back county. Scared the bejesus out of me. This big black vulture in my chest. I'm surprised I didn't dump my bike, I just shoved the vulture off my chest and it flew away. 

• Shocked 1

I was driving through Iowa 40+ years ago on my way to Omaha and went through a cloud of grasshoppers or locusts.  Hundreds of them splattered on the windshield.  Wipers were of no use, everyone had to pull over and turn on their four-ways.  When they moved on, you scraped off what you could with paper towels or whatever you had.  Disgusting 🤮 

On 7/16/2024 at 11:02 PM, US Egg said:

To swerve or not to swerve?

That is the question.

I just closed my eyes for a little while and waited to see if I would feel a bump. 

I don’t recommend that……it will bump eventually. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Murderer….. 

You just wait, I sense a Go Fund Me for the ducks family coming up, administered by the villain, of course. 

36 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

Maybe we should start donating.

https://www.ducks.org

Then again......."Ducks Unlimited was established by hunters...."  Seems to be an oxymoron to me. 

It seems to me, if they just stayed on the couch they would break even. I’m always looking for the easy way out. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, f0neguy said:

I was driving through Iowa 40+ years ago on my way to Omaha and went through a cloud of grasshoppers or locusts.  Hundreds of them splattered on the windshield.  Wipers were of no use, everyone had to pull over and turn on their four-ways.  When they moved on, you scraped off what you could with paper towels or whatever you had.  Disgusting 🤮 

In Florida we had love bug season. It’s like crushing hundreds of little glue bombs all over your car, and it will eat your finish. NASTY! 

Edited by Augie

19 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

They’re cute … except when they sit on the swim deck of my boat at the marina and relieve themselves.  In that instance, I’m all for reducing the duck population. Tried the old owl statue thing to no effect. 

I love to eat roast duck.  I order it almost every time I see it on the menu.  If I could I’d clobber a few of those suckers over the head with a tire iron to take them home and cook them.  The little ones are so damn cute though.  

These 2 little buggers (no mama duck in sight) were crossing the road from the woods to a pond.  I wonder what they were even doing in the thickly forested area across the road.  Could that be where their nest is?  What do baby ducks eat?

Twenty years ago, I ran over a cat.

It thumped along the bottom of my Jeep before getting kicked to the back. I was surprised at how a 10 pound animal could make so much noise - it sounded and felt like I ran over a person.

Les’s than a month later, I hit my grandfather with the Jeep, knocking him down, and throwing his back out, because he took a left instead of a right when I dropped him off.

He was so quiet, I didn't even know I hit him at first. He did complain a whole lot on the way to the hospital, though.

• Shocked 1