J.D. Vance - Character and Policies

9 hours ago, T master said:

First off if you raise the minimum wage to $20 it will cause most everything that requires a human being no matter how menial the task to have to have a increase in pricing that's number 1 .

Number 2 if that happens and say a laborer that works for me & me being a mason i have to charge more to the customer because i have to pay out more, not to mention that i have 25 yrs of experience & if a rookie that has 2 yrs is making that much then i'm being under paid now so again my prices are going to go up especially if i have to pay for their health care, work mens comp, & so on .

Then you have the fact that the McDonalds worker that you laid off that has little to no skills per say goes into the unemployment system to look for a job and due to the fact that they have little to no skills per say after they run out their unemployment not being able to find work then they go on to welfare because of course they won't go and be a block masons tender that is actual for real physical labor which young people won't do .

The majority of the younger generation has been taught that they are American so they are of the Entitlement mind set i can see raising the minimum wage as a total Cluster F !! Oh also stop entitlement mind set & illegal immigration and have parents have their children go mow & rake lawns to make money so they can spend the money they earn to go buy a new ipad and have more appreciation for it instead of just giving everything to them !! 

To follow that up here's a theory, go back to the gold standard, stop printing money any time you need more, make the gov't live with in a budget like most of us have to instead of giving away trillions of dollars for every body & any body with their hand out, have more checks and balances for those getting entitlements,  allow schools to bring back skilled trades programs & then bring the manufacturing jobs back to American soil so those people can have more opportunity and earn their way into a better life .

Dammit i think i might be on to something here Tibs don't you  ??? 

I tell any young person, including my kids to go into the trades. You can make a good living. There is a shortage of workers in just about every trade. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

In a nut shell, American history from the 1870s-1929.

Interesting, thanks for the reply.  I respect your feelings, but with regard to pension funds, isn’t there a strong correlation between pension funds and investment return from equities?  Can one exist without the other for any sustained period of time?  

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/16/2024 at 9:43 PM, 4th&long said:

I tell any young person, including my kids to go into the trades. You can make a good living. There is a shortage of workers in just about every trade. 

Young people do need to think: am I embarking on a career that can be automated? Performed by AI? By remote workers abroad?

Building things, plumbing, making sandwiches, whatever - these will still be largely on-site jobs.

On the other hand, some high paying jobs today like Radiologist? Pathologist? Jobs that will be overtaken by AI.

1 minute ago, JDHillFan said:

Alex Wagner of reliable mainstream media outlet MSNBC absolutely NAILS IT. Who does this guy think he is with the family burial plot routine?

Its insuferable.

anything to hate on the others and claim some victimhood status.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Young people do need to think: am I embarking on a career that can be automated? Performed by AI? By remote workers abroad?

Building things, plumbing, making sandwiches, whatever - these will still be largely on-site jobs.

On the other hand, some high paying jobs today like Radiologist? Pathologist? Jobs that will be overtaken by AI.

Pathologist overtaken by AI? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Techs would still do the work, like blood draws and what not.   AI would analyze and order test.

I am a Medical Laboratory Scientist, blood gets drawn we run it through the instruments and there is even an instrument that categorizes the WBC and red cell morphology but the instrument such as a cella vision gets confused particularly when it comes to immature WBC in peripheral blood.

Sometimes it confuses a monocyte with a blast or it can’t tell what a WBC is.

Its my job to review and release proper results in the case there is criteria that needs pathologist review such as a blast the Pathologist would confirm as that is beyond my scope for final results.

AI can only assist, you will always need the human judgment there will be many missed or inaccurate results that could lead a misdiagnosis.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Commsvet11 said:

I am a Medical Laboratory Scientist, blood gets drawn we run it through the instruments and there is even an instrument that categorizes the WBC and red cell morphology but the instrument such as a cella vision gets confused particularly when it comes to immature WBC in peripheral blood.

Sometimes it confuses a monocyte with a blast or it can’t tell what a WBC is.

Its my job to review and release proper results in the case there is criteria that needs pathologist review such as a blast the Pathologist would confirm as that is beyond my scope for final results.

AI can only assist, you will always need the human judgment there will be many missed or inaccurate results that could lead a misdiagnosis.

Brings back memories..

I used to do countless reticulocyte slide stains for my research...can't recall what the stain was.  Also  hematocrits with capillary tubes and that ruler device thingy. 

Ancient times. I imagine there are more modern techniques for both these days.

1 minute ago, BillsFanNC said:

Brings back memories..

I used to do countless reticulocyte slide stains for my research...can't recall what the stain was.  Also  hematocrits with capillary tubes and that ruler device thingy. 

Ancient times. I imagine there are more modern techniques for both these days.

New Methlyne Blue using those Copeland jars for manual stains but luckily that’s done by flow cytometry, manual spun HCT is actually still done in my lab as a confirmatory test or when there is an interferce that requires a recalculation of the indices.

I’m lucky enough to start off in a lab that did mostly manually methods that helps the baseline understanding of the automated methodology 

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Commsvet11 said:

New Methlyne Blue using those Copeland jars for manual stains but luckily that’s done by flow cytometry, manual spun HCT is actually still done in my lab as a confirmatory test or when there is an interferce that requires a recalculation of the indices.

I’m lucky enough to start off in a lab that did mostly manually methods that helps the baseline understanding of the automated methodology 

I might have mentioned certain kinds of surgery too. If a procedure - or at least key steps of a procedure - can be automated, they will.

The state of jobs and the economy under AI is something we should be talking about. I'm not hearing our politicians doing that.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Commsvet11 said:

Cool. I'm flow cytometry adjacent with my current job. I use a few of the flourescent nucleic acid stains that are quite sensitive. Sure beats new methylene blue and sitting in front of a microscope with a click counter for hours.

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Friendly reminder: Venmo default is "transactions are public."

https://www.wired.com/story/jd-vance-venmo/

Scandalous! The lid has just been blown off this election! Lanny Davis as a contact is disqualifying. 

How could you have watched the debate and believe Joe Biden is mentally fit for the presidency?