J.D. Vance - Character and Policies

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

No but my mother and several relatives still are.  I actually grew up in Pittsford so training camp used to be a great time to visit.  Not anymore since I haven't been able to get tickets the past 2 years.

As for education, it's important but not the be all end all.  I think it's a mistake to try and get everyone to go to college.  Going into a trade is a great thing as well.  Whatever you need to do to support yourself +/- a family.

The trade was good to me and they paid well especially if you work for yourself. I never got “rich” but I was able to support a family of 6 and my wife stayed home with my kids which she did a great job of raising them! 

all trades are short handed right now. It’s sad really, young people don’t want to do it anymore.

25 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

In what way is he a threat to the republic?

All this sounds like politics that we've experienced over my lifetime (65 yrs).

I don't understand the threat

If you don’t know I can’t help you. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

If you don’t know I can’t help you. 

You sure that I'm the guy that needs help?

I'm not fearing trump

Edited by Pokebball

8 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I think there was good reason to investigate possible collusion between Trump and Russia.  If it was proven, I would have no problem throwing him out.  You would continue to support him?

There was no reason to hold a rally on Jan 6.  He had lost.  Never before was so much security required for a ceremonial counting of the electoral votes.

If there was proof that Trump colluded with Russia to install him as a Manchurian candidate and to do their bidding, I would have been one of the first to call for him to be executed for treason.  If anything they may have tried to use/goad Russia into getting dirt on Hillary, but that's because the intelligence and media complexes had abdicated that responsibility.  And to me that's still not as bad as the Steele Dossier, which was compiled by a disgraced British spy and full of Russian disinformation, with the express purpose of trying to remove a fairly elected President for most of his Presidency.  And many are still denying that election. 

And ultimately it was determined that Russia's interference, which everyone agrees happened and has been happening for decades, didn't alter a single vote.  And Trump did nothing for Russia.

People can hold any rally they want.  A permit was granted for it.  That's America for you.  But without some idiots breaking into the Capitol, which we now know was a known threat the day before Trump even spoke, it would have been a bad look but not the "threat to democracy" we keep hearing about.  Which is a farce because if a group of unarmed people can take down a government, you don't have much of a government.

J.D. Vance, the New York Times, and Decency

The Times' readers weigh in.

GLENN HARLAN REYNOLDS

JUL 30, 2024

Earlier this week, the New York Times published a collection of personal emails between J.D. Vance and a law school friend of his.  The two were politically far apart, but for many years shared a close and respectful friendship in which they discussed the things that they agreed and disagreed about.  Then the friend, Sofia Nelson, who identifies as a "gender ***** radical pragmatist" broke off the friendship over Vance's support for an Arkansas bill banning gender reassignment for minors.  Here's what Vance said that was apparently too much for Sofia's "radical pragmatist' sensibilities:

Well, that doesn't sound radically pragmatist to me, but rather brittlely ideological.  But so far the story's pretty predictable. 

As soon as Vance became a Republican VP candidate, he became Hitler, Jr. in the eyes of the press.  And of course, getting a close family member or friend to issue a bitter denunciation is a classic technique of the left, with roots in Stalin and Mao.  And the publication of private emails, which allegedly raised grave issues of journalistic ethics when Hunter Biden or Hillary Clinton were involved, raises no questions when J.D. Vance – or, for that matter, Sarah Palin, whose hacked emails were gleefully published by mainstream media.

But the good news is that the Times' readers are surprisingly unpersuaded by this hit job.  Below is a sampling of the top comments on the Vance story as of earlier today.  Not every comment is like this, of course – there are plenty denouncing Vance – but as I scrolled down a majority of the comments I saw were along these lines:

E-mails at the link:  https://instapundit.substack.com/p/jd-vance-the-new-york-times-and-decency?

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, B-Man said:

J.D. Vance, the New York Times, and Decency

The Times' readers weigh in.

GLENN HARLAN REYNOLDS

JUL 30, 2024

Earlier this week, the New York Times published a collection of personal emails between J.D. Vance and a law school friend of his.  The two were politically far apart, but for many years shared a close and respectful friendship in which they discussed the things that they agreed and disagreed about.  Then the friend, Sofia Nelson, who identifies as a "gender ***** radical pragmatist" broke off the friendship over Vance's support for an Arkansas bill banning gender reassignment for minors.  Here's what Vance said that was apparently too much for Sofia's "radical pragmatist' sensibilities:

Well, that doesn't sound radically pragmatist to me, but rather brittlely ideological.  But so far the story's pretty predictable. 

As soon as Vance became a Republican VP candidate, he became Hitler, Jr. in the eyes of the press.  And of course, getting a close family member or friend to issue a bitter denunciation is a classic technique of the left, with roots in Stalin and Mao.  And the publication of private emails, which allegedly raised grave issues of journalistic ethics when Hunter Biden or Hillary Clinton were involved, raises no questions when J.D. Vance – or, for that matter, Sarah Palin, whose hacked emails were gleefully published by mainstream media.

But the good news is that the Times' readers are surprisingly unpersuaded by this hit job.  Below is a sampling of the top comments on the Vance story as of earlier today.  Not every comment is like this, of course – there are plenty denouncing Vance – but as I scrolled down a majority of the comments I saw were along these lines:

E-mails at the link:  https://instapundit.substack.com/p/jd-vance-the-new-york-times-and-decency?

Did you read the NYT story?

Because if you had, you'd realize there's nothing unfair here, unless you think that revealing personal emails is inherently unfair.

It makes Vance look like a kind, decent, thoughtful, open guy. That is, up until he started running for political office as some kind of Trump mini-me. At that point he became kind of an a-hole, insulting groups of people for no good reason other than it made him look better to Trump.

For me, it raises some hope that the kind, decent, thoughtful, open guy is still there under the layers of sycophantic bs. For Trumpies, it scares them to death that he may be doesn't really hate the people he's supposed to hate. Which really tells you all you need to know about Trump's base supporters.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pokebball said:

To this day Hillary is calling trump an illegitimate president. You've got the buffalo head guy. I think these elected US senators were worse and a much greater threat.

Hillary Clinton conceded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yHgE9W699w

I've never complained about anyone asking for recounts.  Anyone can avail themselves of legal challenges.  If you are still losing after that, you lost.  Donald Trump lost.

I disagree with any congressman or senator who challenged the validity of the certified electors in either 2016 or 2020.  Will you say the same?

Still waiting for you to show me a single President who wouldn't concede and instead organized a group of fake electors, many of whom have been convicted of crimes or are indicted.

52 minutes ago, Doc said:

And ultimately it was determined that Russia's interference, which everyone agrees happened and has been happening for decades, didn't alter a single vote.  And Trump did nothing for Russia.

People can hold any rally they want.  A permit was granted for it.  That's America for you.  But without some idiots breaking into the Capitol, which we now know was a known threat the day before Trump even spoke, it would have been a bad look but not the "threat to democracy" we keep hearing about.  Which is a farce because if a group of unarmed people can take down a government, you don't have much of a government.

That was determined by who?  How?  I don't think there is any way to prove that.

There have been non-violent coups in the past.  Look at the Velvet revolution. 

I still see no reason for loser Donald Trump to hold a rally and send those people to the Capitol.  I think he as blood on his hands.  Ashley Babbitt wouldn't have been there if not for Trump calling people to something that "will be wild".

On WBEN they were discussing what if Trump asked Vance to step down and had RFK Jr on the ticket and brought his 5-10% of votes with him. Would that be a winning ticket? Or would RFK instantly become Hitler Jr Jr?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

On WBEN they were discussing what if Trump asked Vance to step down and had RFK Jr on the ticket and brought his 5-10% of votes with him. Would that be a winning ticket? Or would RFK instantly become Hitler Jr Jr?

It's nuts how these news sites just rip the current dnc narrative as journalism.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Scraps said:

That was determined by who?  How?  I don't think there is any way to prove that.

There have been non-violent coups in the past.  Look at the Velvet revolution. 

I still see no reason for loser Donald Trump to hold a rally and send those people to the Capitol.  I think he as blood on his hands.  Ashley Babbitt wouldn't have been there if not for Trump calling people to something that "will be wild".

There was a study by NYU that said Russia's Twitter campaign was a failure.  It's also known that Russia bought a million dollars or so in Facebook ads.  Print and TV media apparently were unaffected.  We were told voting machines were secure.  Hillary spent over $1B on her campaign and if that wasn't enough to overcome Russia's weak attempt at interference...

Truth be told, Comey probably did more damage to her campaign than anyone.  And unless he was on Russia's payroll...

The US isn't Communist Czechoslovakia.  Biden himself said that for a foreign country to take over the US, they'd need F-16s and nukes.  But a group of unarmed Americans were going to to it?  Come on, man!

18 minutes ago, B-Man said:

White children...with permanent tans (like me).

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Couch f****** of the world unite! 

This is correct. 

There's a whole Silicon Valley based intellectual subculture that believes that democracy is the problem, and that we (somehow; they don't really say) need to find our own semi-benevolent dictator. That they seem to be thinking that Trump-Vance is the best they can realistically do is not comforting.

I've poked around these rabbit holes before. Warning: it will take you to some dark places.

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

He's a drag queen! (Not that there's anything wrong with that, lol) These Trumpers always accuse others of what they are 

First Derek Carr, now JD Vance. 

Thank God Mr. Trump hasn't gone the eyeliner route. At least there's one real man left, the one with the Bronx Color makeup on his face and the bad dye job on his transplanted coif.

https://www.vox.com/2016/5/27/11798470/peter-thiel-donald-trump-gawker

A bit old now, but well worth reading regarding Thiel's political philosophy. It is anti-democratic, and actually anti-republican (small r) too.

And make no mistake about this — Thiel wrote in 2009: “I no longer believe that freedom and democracy are compatible,” because a system of universal suffrage subjects capitalists “to the unthinking demos that guides so-called ‘social democracy.’”

“The fate of our world,” he wrote “may depend on the effort of a single person who builds or propagates the machinery of freedom that makes the world safe for capitalism.” At the time he was referring to Patri Friedman’s ridiculous plan to build an offshore utopia composed of boats that would be free from the long arm of the state. Thiel’s decision to serve as a Trump delegate at the forthcoming Republican convention in Cleveland seems to suggest that he’s turned away from that turn away from politics and has now embraced a new Great Leader to make the world safe for capitalism: Trump.