What Position Do Bills Need to Fill the Most With Top Talent?

7 minutes ago, HaldimandBills said:

DEnd. Terrible defensive line has literally sank this team every playoffs. If we had just one stud Dend it would pay immediate dividends for Oliver and Groot. It would elevate our entire defense to heights that it hasn't seen. 

Sure I'd love a true # 1 but Allen has shown hes gonna score regardless. 

Have Bills fan not watched the Ravens, Niners, and Bengals slow down Mahomes  and wonder why the Bills cannot? 

Basically if given the option between an All Pro Dend and 15 million $ receiver 

vs. a

All Pro receiver and 15 million $ Dend

I am taking the All Pro Dend everyday of the week.

That's not why we can't slow down Mahomes 😂😂

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Pass rusher. Has to be. Miller probably is gone after this season and Rousseau has been very good but not great. 

Great QBs should elevate good WRs. 

Much harder to generate pass rush without winning 1:1 matchups. 

An elite pass rusher transforms this defense. 

I mean, it's easy to say that great QBs should elevate WRs. But in this past playoff game against the Chiefs, Bills WRs had 160 yards of drops.

The main reason for that was that our WRs played very poorly in that game. But a second, contributing factor is Josh Allen's arm.

You take a guy like Joe Montana. He slipped to the 3rd round, due in large part to lack of arm strength. A perfect QB for a West Coast offense. His passes were ridiculously catchable. Just about anyone could have caught those passes, because they were so easy to catch!

Josh Allen has a level of arm strength Montana could only dream of. That allows Allen to throw passes Montana couldn't. But there's a hitch: it's harder to catch a high velocity pass from Allen, than it was to catch a soft, easy pass from Montana. If you've got a guy like Allen at QB, you need WRs with good hands, to be able to catch those high velocity passes.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Edge and WR.  Perhaps it's already there.  We shall see. 

Dominating Edge drafted next year.

And also WRs again from the draft.

I am not as down on WR room a some folks

Not yet at least ....

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, stuvian said:

We had a respectable pass rush in the first few years of the Clappy - Beane regime. There were no stars. Just a bunch of lunch pail guys getting 9-11 sacks a year. After we brought in Von it seemed like the rest of the team stepped back waiting for him to do something. Miller's best years came alongside Bradley Chubb and Aaron Donald. As a lone sack threat Miller is pedestrian. So we need to do something at pass rush until Rousseau and Epenesa find their game. That said, I don't like the idea of chasing vets on the downside.

Espenesa is only going to win on scheme. Greg can do some damage though.

Hoping for strong inside pressure this year to create outside opportunities from the edge and DBs having some fun cuz pressures dialed up 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, NewEra said:

Pass rusher that can cause a ruckus in the playoffs-  

WRs that can make plays in the playoffs 

Play callers that can confuse their opposition in the playoffs 

I thought Joe Brady did pretty good in the post-season. 24 points (should’ve been 27) is pretty good against a team that is moving the ball at will and eating up time of possession. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I thought Joe Brady did pretty good in the post-season. 24 points (should’ve been 27) is pretty good against a team that is moving the ball at will and eating up time of possession. 

Yeah- Brady did ok vs KC-  now we just need a defensive play caller that doesn’t get shelled in season ending defeats

• Agree 3

13 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Really surprised no one is talking about our LB situation. After Milano and Bernard there's really not that much to get excited about.

Dorian Williams.  He plays fast.  And once he learns the pro game some more, he will be making plays all over the field.

I would say an impact DE, but not too far behind that a young 1-tech that can impact the pocket and control the A gaps.

We know where we are at with the lack of game closers come playoffs. So DEs that can get there or at least impact throws is high on that list and that guy who can compress the pocket and force the double teams that free up the rush.

Not expecting a lot out of Von just hoping for adequate play where the coaches are careful with his reps to get the most out of him - injuries and father time matter.

I like Jones as a 1-tech. But he has been dinged down the stretch for us the past 2 seasons.

Glad we moved on from some underperformers on that interior DL that get blown off their spot. The moves look like upgrades on paper and should help spell the big guy, but finding Jones successor would be in my future plans.

6 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

That's not why we can't slow down Mahomes 😂😂

Yes it is. Our Dline has been pathetically bad in the playoffs. Unless of course you are on a McDermott is bad and its all his fault train. 

On 7/13/2024 at 4:48 PM, Rich Stadium Original said:

What position do you think the Bills need to upgrade the talent level the most to help the team succeed? Samples:

Shut down corner?

Monster DT that OWNS the middle of the line?

True #1 receiver?

Dependable/accurate kicker with monster leg?

Ball hawk safety?

I'm personally going with that dominating edge/ DE that can take over a game.

One or more of these folks may appear on the roster as time goes on  but dont think they are there yet..

Definitely agree on the #1 true receiver and shut down corner (a guy with a little veteran leadership) 

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

For me it’s an easy answer.  Bills NEED their Chris Jones.  We need a game wrecker on the DL that can close out games rather than give up easy game ending drives and even lose a lead in 13 seconds.  

Bengals got past KC because their defense held KC to 3 points second half.  Brady and Bucs dominated KC by dominating the LOS in the Super Bowl.

Every Bills playoff loss has had one clear theme…losing in the trenches, especially our defense where they fail to get to Mahomes and Burrow the last 3 exits.  

Yep!  This is 100% spot on.  This is also why I can’t help but wonder what in the world makes people think Oliver is a great player.  Jones will flash more in a single game than Ed does all year and Jones does it when it matters.    Oliver is a good player, Jones is a game changer.

34 minutes ago, ryguy101 said:

Definitely agree on the #1 true receiver and shut down corner (a guy with a little veteran leadership) 

Well, it was not like Davis and Diggs were putting the fear of God into opponents as the Bills faced the most man coverage.

Opponents just were not scared to put their DBs on an island with our WRs so I am curious if any of our new crop find a way to demand more attention/respect.

I think we have some guys with speed and some separators in that receiving room now who did not have someone like Allen throwing to them before along with a compliment of guys with size that can highpoint, fight, and win 50/50 throws.

As to corners it would be nice to go into a playoff game with KC more healthy with Benson active and our full compliment of starting coverage LBs.

Some changes at safety, but I trust McD to get the most out of those guys.

On 7/13/2024 at 7:34 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

We've got 7.5m to our name and it's mid-July. Pretty much all of that is going to the Practice Squad and In Season Spending. It's possible there's a smaller level signing or two. But I wouldn't be expecting "top level talent" at this point.

I had a busy weekend so just getting back to it.  You’re correct in that I’m not sure of we’ve signed our PS yet, but we’ll need a reserve for injuries, and if you’re right a PS.  Besides, I think the talent pool out there is thin.

1. Edge (if Von can't do it any more)

2. WR (if Keon isn't a #1)

3. OL

I love watching a dominant OL. I'm not saying our OL is the worst, but I think Josh's mobility has as much or more to do with our low sack numbers as the blocking. Remember how much better our OL looked with Flutie under C rather than Rob Johnson? Also, I may be alone on this, but I really enjoy watching a great run game. It's so demoralizing to a defense when they get pounded all day and they have no answer.

I'm guessing that Beane trades up nexr draft to snag a potentially elite Edge rusher. Just a hunch.

Edited by GreggTX

The defensive lineman who shows up in the 4th quarter to make the game changing play.  Throwing fresh bodies at the problem doesn't get it done.  

I don't' care if this lineman does absolutely nothing for three quarters, or hell, doesn't even play in the first half.  The talent, the skill, how the money is made is in making *the* plays in the 4th.  

I'm not sure that they might not have things covered & may not need a high priced player to fill ay position . If the guys they have brought in play up to their capabilities and can stay healthy i think it's game on .

I feel last season if Millano, Tre, & Von could have stayed healthy then if the other untimely injuries wouldn't have happened to Daquon, Bernard & Benford it would have been a lot different out come . Now with the other young bucks they have brought in & the vets along with them i can't wait to see it when they finally get it to click .

The defensive line without question.  Can't beat the top quarterbacks/offenses in the playoffs until they have someone to fear up front.  The best secondaries and or back seven can only cover for so long.  

People will say wideout but Mahomes has looked beatable in the postseason with pressure. He's 2-2 in the postseason when sacked 4 times and 3-1 when sacked 3 times with several close games. Buffalo has 3 sacks against him in total.  His rating is substantially worse in games defenses could get to him. It's frustrating to keep investing in the defense but it seems to be the only path. Ed Oliver is the only difference maker we have on the line and even Ed will disappear sometimes. It's just not enough.

image.thumb.png.38ace00bcccf1dd2a33755d82f925754.png

• Thank you (+1) 1