7 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I now expect you to lay off the Hunter Biden jokes forevermore.

I will. There’s nothing left to say.

Seeing mixed reactions for the JD Vance speech.  Not in that people didn’t like it, just that it was forgettable for some and others loved it. 

I will say, his part about the cemetery plot where generations of his family are buried, parlayed into the fact people won’t fight for an abstraction, but will fight for their homeland, was really well done. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Seeing mixed reactions for the JD Vance speech.  Not in that people didn’t like it, just that it was forgettable for some and others loved it. 

I will say, his part about the cemetery plot where generations of his family are buried, parlayed into the fact people won’t fight for an abstraction, but will fight for their homeland, was really well done. 

Parts were good. He does have a compelling story; he should've stuck to it.

I know it won't get fact checked anywhere, not even in that liberal MSM. But if you read Hillbilly Elegy, it's hard to see how his litany of Biden actions - supporting NAFTA, supporting the Iraq War, supporting freer trade with China - had anything to do with his childhood in a declining region of America. It is clear that the Vance family had fallen into serious decline well before even the first of those actions. The book itself is focused on a collapsing white rural/small town American culture, of which Vance's family was emblematic.

Now that he and Trump are looking for nothing more than votes from that part of the country, the cultural critique is completely excised from his speeches. It's all about what outsiders like Biden have done to them, rather than what they've also done to themselves.

He has become the enemy, the type of Politician he used to decry.

• Eyeroll 1

39 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Did you. I just ordered it and am looking foreword to it.

Yes, I did, when it was pretty new. It is well written, thoughtful, and honest. It doesn't try to "fix" anything; it just shines a light onto the nature of the problem.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through the movie now, which is much better than I expected too.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yes, I did, when it was pretty new. It is well written, thoughtful, and honest. It doesn't try to "fix" anything; it just shines a light onto the nature of the problem.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through the movie now, which is much better than I expected too.

Ty.