Gold Star Fury: Roll Call of Abbey Gate Dead that Biden Forgot

ED MORRISSEY

a5c272ee-d17c-4569-8cb4-e4b9e71eea65-105

Madeline Brame's furious indictment of Alvin Bragg and Joe Biden became the emotional flashpoint of Night Two of the Republican National Convention. We have not yet finished Night Three, but the Gold Star families of the 13 lost at Abbey Gate in Joe Biden's disgraceful bug-out from Kabul will almost certainly achieve that status tonight. 

To remind everyone, Joe Biden claimed that he'd not lost any American military personnel in combat. That was no mere error, the families told the Republican delegates. For the last three years, these families have heard nothing but silence from Biden and the White House, one of the grieving mothers declared. While Biden ignored them, Donald Trump has spent time with the families, "carrying the weight," as the mother-in-law of another of the fallen. And they then conducted a Roll Call of the Honored Dead, forgotten by the administration that put them into harm's way but remembered by all in the audience.

This doesn't require much commentary. First watch the prepared video, and then the families' presentation live on the stage. But first, get your handkerchiefs. 

https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2024/07/17/gold-star-fury-roll-call-of-abbey-gate-dead-that-biden-forgot-n3791946

• Staff Sgt. Darin T. Hoover, 31, from Salt Lake City, Utah
  • Sgt. Johanny Rosario Pichardo, 25, from Lawrence, Massachusetts
  • Sgt. Nicole L. Gee, 23, from Sacramento, California
  • Cpl. Hunter Lopez, 22, from Indio, California
  • Cpl. Daegan W. Page, 23, from Omaha, Nebraska
  • Cpl. Humberto A. Sanchez, 22, from Logansport, Indiana
  • Marine Corps Lance Cpl. David L. Espinoza, 20, from Rio Bravo, Texas
  • Lance Cpl. Jared M. Schmitz, 20, from St. Charles, Missouri
  • Lance Cpl. Rylee J. McCollum, 20, from Jackson, Wyoming
  • Lance Cpl. Dylan R. Merola, 20, from Rancho Cucamonga, California
  • Lance Cpl. Kareem M. Nikoui, 20, from Norco, California
  • Navy Hospitalman Maxton W. Soviak, 22, from Berlin Heights, Ohio, and 
  • Army Staff Sgt. Ryan C. Knauss, 23, from Corryton, Tennessee,

J.D. giving his acceptance speech.

Call for unity.   We have a big tent and we are united to win.

I think our disagreements make us stronger. My message is shouldn't we be governed by a party unafraid to debate and come to to the best solution?

Committed to free speech and the open exchange of ideas

I love the tone here. Calm and passionate at the same time, cheerful and forward looking. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Your questions have been answered. Answered in a way that makes you look like a total a-hole. Such a shame. 

Interesting comments from him considering his hero's son...

….When I was on the Cruz campaign opposing Trump in 2016, I made an analogy about his popularity with evangelicals. Because we were also striving to be the evangelical candidate, and couldn't figure out why this NYC celebrity with a tabloid greatest hits album was more popular with Southern Baptists than our Southern Baptist candidate? And I pointed to Clint Eastwood's drifter/pale rider anti-hero in the Spaghetti Westerns as that analogy. 

The people preferred the Gary Cooper nice guy sheriff would cleanse the town of the banditos. The one they could look up to. Desire to marry their daughters off to. The one they would name their sons after. But that nice guy sheriff never showed up for the fight, and thus the town kept getting overrun by the banditos. 

Sooner or later, you just need to survive. So you turn to the pale rider, the drifter, the anti-hero when you're cornered and out of options. And you know the collateral damage of aligning with him will be high (as in some of your windows and storefronts are likely to be shot out, or your townsfolk may be caught in the crossfire). You know he's got unrepentant flaws you don't aspire to. But you also know it is this or the end of your town. 

The reality is for all of his flaws, and for all the things about him and his way of doing things that have both flummoxed and frustrated me, the truth is Trump has done more to fight the darkness seeping into this culture and threatening to overrun it since he came down that escalator in 2016, than The Church has done collectively thus far this century. 

There's a reason the darkness is shooting at Donald Trump instead of The Church. The biggest problem America has is most of her pastors are unworthy of being shot at….

Fantastic thread - must read - I disagree about what he thinks of the RNC but he understands the gist of what’s happening