Is Josh Allen already the best dual-threat QB ever?

Yes I think it’s becoming clear to the masses that Allen’s career numbers on his current pace will be in a stratosphere that no dual threat QB has ever been.

He’s an absolute unit.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Maybe I’m just old school, but the “best ever” at anything actually has to win a championship. 

Steve Young, hands down. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Maybe I’m just old school, but the “best ever” at anything actually has to win a championship. 

Steve Young, hands down. 

A qb can’t be considered dual threat rushing for 500 once in a 15 year career span. 

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

How can he be dual threat without rushing for at least 500 yards in a season once in 16 years?

Allen is a true dual threat qb and is the best in NFL history at this point. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I’m not the person who will hand Josh accolades that easily but he has to be the best dual threat QB. Lamar is probably two. Vick had a few electric years but wasn’t as consistent as he would need to be for this conversation. Newton also struggled with consistency. Then guys like Young, Elway, or Trakenton, while

mobile, didn't threaten defenses like a true elite dual threat player would. Nobody can match Allen’s ability by land or air. He’s truly a 50/50 split and that’s probably part of what makes him great. No other dual threat guy has been that balanced. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

A qb can’t be considered dual threat rushing for 500 once in a 15 year career span. 

How can he be dual threat without rushing for at least 500 yards in a season once in 16 years?

Allen is a true dual threat qb and is the best in NFL history at this point. 

If Allen did what he does now in the timeframe when Elway played he'd never survive.  There isn't a Ronnie Lott or Steve Atwater in the modern game.  In Elway's time everybody had someone who at least tried to hit like that. There is a reason that "dual-threat" QBs with big dual-threat stats don't really exist historically and one of the comparisons to Allen retired due to repeated concussions (Steve Young). If you ran that much on purpose you'd get hurt.  There are also a couple people who would have been interesting if you teleported them out of the Neanderthal offenses their coaches insisted on running at the time.  Randall Cunningham being one of them.

I've said it repeatedly and will continue to, if you took some of the QBs out of the 80's and early 90's when passing started to become a much larger thing and put them into the modern world where they can't be touched and their WRs can't really be touched they'd look amazing and would have lasted significantly longer to boot.  So yeah, call Allen the best dual-threat QB ever if you have to but just recognize that there have been people who came before that would have looked MUCH different if they played under the current rules.  Marino threw for 5k yards under those conditions in 1984 and it took until 2008 before anybody did it again.  Since 2008 it's happened 14 times.  It's a different game.  Making these sorts of statements and comparisons is going to be inherently flawed and almost always skews in favor of the more recent players but don't tell me you watched that Elway highlight video and didn't see Josh Allen running.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

50 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Steve Young, hands down. 

Allen still has a lot of time. Maybe he'll demand a trade to a non-cursed franchise.

31 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Allen still has a lot of time. Maybe he'll demand a trade to a non-cursed franchise.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Over the next 5 years he should top the list. But he’s been incredibly healthy compared to players like Vick, Newton, and Steve Young. That could change quickly.

Allen will need to protect himself more and more as he gets older.

You both better knock on wood. Immediately.

54 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

If Allen did what he does now in the timeframe when Elway played he'd never survive.  There isn't a Ronnie Lott or Steve Atwater in the modern game.  In Elway's time everybody had someone who at least tried to hit like that. There is a reason that "dual-threat" QBs with big dual-threat stats don't really exist historically and one of the comparisons to Allen retired due to repeated concussions (Steve Young). If you ran that much on purpose you'd get hurt.  There are also a couple people who would have been interesting if you teleported them out of the Neanderthal offenses their coaches insisted on running at the time.  Randall Cunningham being one of them.

I've said it repeatedly and will continue to, if you took some of the QBs out of the 80's and early 90's when passing started to become a much larger thing and put them into the modern world where they can't be touched and their WRs can't really be touched they'd look amazing and would have lasted significantly longer to boot.  So yeah, call Allen the best dual-threat QB ever if you have to but just recognize that there have been people who came before that would have looked MUCH different if they played under the current rules.  Marino threw for 5k yards under those conditions in 1984 and it took until 2008 before anybody did it again.  Since 2008 it's happened 14 times.  It's a different game.  Making these sorts of statements and comparisons is going to be inherently flawed and almost always skews in favor of the more recent players but don't tell me you watched that Elway highlight video and didn't see Josh Allen running.  

I agree completely about players from different time periods having different games. At the end of the day they play with the rules that are presented to them. So yes Allen will be considered the best dual threat qb when it’s all said and done.

I followed Elway’s career since he was at Stanford. Yes he was a great athlete. But he never threatened defenses with his runs. I consider guys like Elway, Young, Tarkington, even Farve as scrambling QBs not true dual threat QBs. Could they have been in this era? Maybe. Or they could more likely be similar to Mahomes. A scrambling qb from this current era with modern rules.