Requesting any tips for trip to UK next week...

On 7/12/2024 at 8:19 AM, LewPort71 said:

If you can schedule a trip to Stonehenge, I would recommend that

I don't know man.  I saw Stonehenge in the early 80s in Cleveland and it was way smaller than I imagined.  Not at all impressed, especially not after a supposed monolith was nearly crushed by a dwarf.  Glad you enjoyed it though.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, US Egg said:

Recently booked 16 nights in London, 1st time as well. Rented an apartment in West End, told it’s the area to stay, hoping that’s the case. Much of what we want to see is hours away one way and apparently full day jaunts, Beatles tour, Windsor, Downton Abbey. Churchill childhood castle, which is supposed to be amazing. Anyone done these? 

Also, Paris wasn’t in the conversation upon booking, now, wife wants to go to Paris for an overnight whirlwind visit. Is that enough time to get the Paris vibe? 

We did 2-3 nights in Paris last spring before heading to Italy. Then I went to the Bills game in London in October. My wife has never been to London, and I’m fascinated by the Chunnel. I’d like the next trip to Europe to start with London and the relatively quick ride to Paris, I think just over 2 hours travel. 

One night in Paris would be a very quick trip, but it could also be very memorable. We did a sunset dinner cruise on the Seine and it was one of the highlights of our trip. IF you go, that might be fun to look into as you see a lot of highlights from the water. 

EDIT: There are a lot of dinner cruise options, but on the advice of a local travel expert we chose Bateaux Parisiens and it was well done. One day in Paris is better than never seeing Paris, at least the way I see it. Then you can decide what you want more or less of in the future. I assume much of the ride would be like the trains in Italy, it’s not wasted travel time, it’s a tour of the countryside. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/15/2024 at 2:56 PM, US Egg said:

Recently booked 16 nights in London, 1st time as well. Rented an apartment in West End, told it’s the area to stay, hoping that’s the case. Much of what we want to see is hours away one way and apparently full day jaunts, Beatles tour, Windsor, Downton Abbey. Churchill childhood castle, which is supposed to be amazing. Anyone done these? 

Also, Paris wasn’t in the conversation upon booking, now, wife wants to go to Paris for an overnight whirlwind visit. Is that enough time to get the Paris vibe? 

So I'm on day 8 of 10 in London right now.  I'm traveling solo this time- and I've had some amazing solo travels in the past.  I'm finding London to be an absolutely lovely city- it could be a model for every city in the US in terms of how to make things function.  

I haven't felt unsafe in the remotest at any point, except maybe a couple late night drunks howling after England lost the Euro Cup.  There's a huge integration of cultures here, and it's incredibly different than the racial dynamics of the US.  I don't look at anybody of another race and wonder if they're a threat- it just doesn't work that way- at least in the quite a few areas that I've been.  

It's a big city and, like any other, people are doing their own thing and generally don't give a hoot about your existence.   They're incredibly polite, and if they're serving you they'll get you what you need with great courteousnesses and a smile, but I've found it mostly impossible to make any connections- and I'm usually quite good at that- even in other big cities like NY,  Rome or Paris.   People say the English are 'reserved', and well I totally agree with that- tough nuts to crack.  I've had so much more, and easier, great conversation in Ireland, France and other places.  Some of it is random chance, but it also seems the English tend to pack together into their own.  

In London ... the sights are stunning on just about every corner.  Seriously, just turn a 360 wherever you're standing and you'll see at least 2 things that stand out.   The fountains of Trafalgar Square are a nice stop through as you wander around. 

In my apex tourist moment, I went to catch 'Fawlty Towers' at the Apollo- lotsa fun- just try to forget how much you paid if you go to a show like that haha. 

London's Chinatown is great for food, The Globe Theatre is maybe smaller than you'd imagine.  The Marquee club no longer exists..

You can tap a credit card to get on and off of all public transportation.  I liked the RAF Museum, though I'm a pilot.   And funny note, I saw Sherpa's post on the Churchill Arms- I went there yesterday and got a pint. 

With 18 days... if you can swing it, my advice would be to not get so much locked into making sure you get 'value' out of what you rented, as it would be more to use it as a home base you always know is there for you.  Feel like going to Paris for 3 days... do it if you can make it happen.  Spend a night or 2 in a smaller village, great. 

Have a lovely trip, and watch out for the shortnin' crusts- that *****'ll kill ya.  )

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

So I'm on day 8 of 10 in London right now.  I'm traveling solo this time- and I've had some amazing solo travels in the past.  I'm finding London to be an absolutely lovely city- it could be a model for every city in the US in terms of how to make things function.  

I haven't felt unsafe in the remotest at any point, except maybe a couple late night drunks howling after England lost the Euro Cup.  There's a huge integration of cultures here, and it's incredibly different than the racial dynamics of the US.  I don't look at anybody of another race and wonder if they're a threat- it just doesn't work that way- at least in the quite a few areas that I've been.  

It's a big city and, like any other, people are doing their own thing and generally don't give a hoot about your existence.   They're incredibly polite, and if they're serving you they'll get you what you need with great courteousnesses and a smile, but I've found it mostly impossible to make any connections- and I'm usually quite good at that- even in other big cities like NY,  Rome or Paris.   People say the English are 'reserved', and well I totally agree with that- tough nuts to crack.  I've had so much more, and easier, great conversation in Ireland, France and other places.  Some of it is random chance, but it also seems the English tend to pack together into their own.  

In London ... the sights are stunning on just about every corner.  Seriously, just turn a 360 wherever you're standing and you'll see at least 2 things that stand out.   The fountains of Trafalgar Square are a nice stop through as you wander around. 

In my apex tourist moment, I went to catch 'Fawlty Towers' at the Apollo- lotsa fun- just try to forget how much you paid if you go to a show like that haha. 

London's Chinatown is great for food, The Globe Theatre is maybe smaller than you'd imagine.  The Marquee club no longer exists..

You can tap a credit card to get on and off of all public transportation.  I liked the RAF Museum, though I'm a pilot.   And funny note, I saw Sherpa's post on the Churchill Arms- I went there yesterday and got a pint. 

With 18 days... if you can swing it, my advice would be to not get so much locked into making sure you get 'value' out of what you rented, as it would be more to use it as a home base you always know is there for you.  Feel like going to Paris for 3 days... do it if you can make it happen.  Spend a night or 2 in a smaller village, great. 

Have a lovely trip, and watch out for the shortnin' crusts- that *****'ll kill ya.  )

Thank you for all that. It helps take out some of the apprehension, being our first vacation out of the country. My kid works in London occasionally and thought they could schedule being there for a bit while we were there, so we thought we had a guide to help us get acclimated to the city, but, now it’s unlikely. 

Edited by US Egg
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/21/2024 at 12:10 AM, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

I have to ask, as I'm so intrigued and I'm sure they aren't called "shortnin' crusts" - what are you referring to? Pasties? Pies?

41 minutes ago, BritBill said:

I have to ask, as I'm so intrigued and I'm sure they aren't called "shortnin' crusts" - what are you referring to? Pasties? Pies?

The pie crusts- I'm pretty sure they're 50% flour and 90% shortening.  )

Tragically I'm at LHR on the way out.  Next time I'm renting a car and roaming the countrysides.  Cheerio ol' boy

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2024 at 7:36 AM, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

640px-MindTheGapVictoria.jpg

1*yJzdPg7UZhyFHXKxSb8MkQ.jpeg

Cheese and Rice!  I drove through Ireland before, so I figured out how to drive on the wrong side, with a stick of course, because I'm a proper driver, but I was a terrible pedestrian in London. 

Thank God they have sidewalks telling people which way to look, otherwise my Astom Marten would've plowed through various small crowds at awkward moments. 

Royal Mile in Edinburgh is spectacular!

Stratford Upon Avon for a Shakespeare performance.

The Prime Meridian and Cutty Sark.

Live music and the Curry Mile in Manchester.

On 8/6/2024 at 4:33 AM, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Oh c'mon US Egg. You can't have a first trip abroad without filling us in.  What did you discover?!?!?!

I hope you had a great time

or should we call Interpol?

Sorry, didn’t make myself clear, going end of month. Hoping the riots/protests there will be full blown by then. 

I want the full English experience.

.…damn hooligans.

Edited by US Egg
  • Haha (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2024 at 9:33 AM, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Oh c'mon US Egg. You can't have a first trip abroad without filling us in.  What did you discover?!?!?!

I hope you had a great time

or should we call Interpol?

For the record rolled into town today. Staying a 1 minute walk from Leicester Square station, where there was a stabbing a couple weeks ago. 

My biggest gripe is where are the street signs? There’s way too many micro tight 6 corner intersections with streets that abruptly veer off in other directions and no clearly viewable street signs on corners. There isn’t a straight street in the West End. 

I’ll tell Chuck you said hey when I get to Buckingham Palace.

10 hours ago, US Egg said:

For the record rolled into town today. Staying a 1 minute walk from Leicester Square station, where there was a stabbing a couple weeks ago. 

My biggest gripe is where are the street signs? There’s way too many micro tight 6 corner intersections with streets that abruptly veer off in other directions and no clearly viewable street signs on corners. There isn’t a straight street in the West End. 

I’ll tell Chuck you said hey when I get to Buckingham Palace.

Sounds like you've found Soho. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BritBill said:

Sounds like you've found Soho. 

You know it, thank goodness for google maps.

It’s amazing in the West End. Thousands of restaurants and shoppes line all the streets, no empty store fronts. 

Only mentioned the incident because some warned protests were raging and that was proof of it.

Fact is, it’s as safe as could be. Trafalger Square 5 minute walk. This is going to be a fantastic vacation.

Edited by US Egg
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, US Egg said:

You know it, thank goodness for google maps.

It’s amazing in the West End. Thousands of restaurants and shoppes line all the streets, no empty store fronts. 

Only mentioned the incident because some warned protests were raging and that was proof of it.

Fact is, it’s as safe as could be. Trafalger Square 5 minute walk. This is going to be a fantastic vacation.

I went to NYC not long after being in London last year. It made me appreciate even more how clean and safe London feels in comparison. 

ENJOY!!!

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I went to NYC not long after being in London last year. It made me appreciate even more how clean and safe London feels in comparison. 

ENJOY!!!

I haven’t been to NYC since 2019, but went there routinely as my kid lives there, since 2007. I stayed in Manhattan every time. There was always some sort of blight, homelessness, unsavory looking types back then. My kid says it’s much worse now. 

I haven’t see anything remotely close here, so far. It’s immaculately clean in comparison and far safer feeling, as you noted. 

2 minutes ago, US Egg said:

I haven’t been to NYC since 2019, but went there routinely as my kid lives there, since 2007. I stayed in Manhattan every time. There was always some sort of blight, homelessness, unsavory looking types back then. My kid says it’s much worse now. 

I haven’t see anything remotely close here, so far. It’s immaculately clean in comparison and far safer feeling, as you noted. 

My wife is in NYC a LOT and says it’s clearly worse since Covid. It just feels dirty everywhere! London is pristine by comparison. I came out of my hotel in Paris one morning and they were power washing the sidewalks!  I’ve never seen THAT in NYC!   

15 minutes ago, Augie said:

My wife is in NYC a LOT and says it’s clearly worse since Covid. It just feels dirty everywhere! London is pristine by comparison. I came out of my hotel in Paris one morning and they were power washing the sidewalks!  I’ve never seen THAT in NYC!   

My kid took a two year “sabbatical” to go to the Sorbonne in 2021. He raved about Paris. He recently went back to NYC, he wants out. His new firm is London based, he’s hoping to be there permanently soon. 

We’re going to Paris next week for two days on a guided tour, I wasn’t too keen initially about going, but, after seeing what London is like, I am looking forward to it. 

On a side note, went shopping at Tesco, bought their brand grocery items, read the ingredients. My kid had told me, and sure you know it, but had to see it for myself. You don’t see all the ***** ingredients in their products that are allowed in U.S. foods.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, US Egg said:

My kid took a two year “sabbatical” to go to the Sorbonne in 2021. He raved about Paris. He recently went back to NYC, he wants out. His new firm is London based, he’s hoping to be there permanently soon. 

We’re going to Paris next week for two days on a guided tour, I wasn’t too keen initially about going, but, after seeing what London is like, I am looking forward to it. 

On a side note, went shopping at Tesco, bought their brand grocery items, read the ingredients. My kid had told me, and sure you know it, but had to see it for myself. You don’t see all the ***** ingredients in their products that are allowed in U.S. foods.

I think you’ll be very glad you worked in a taste of Paris. I loved it, as most people do. My wife asked our guide one day why there is so little obesity compared to what we are used to. The guide stopped and waved her hand at everything around us and said “look around, everybody walks or rides a bike to get around.” She had a point. 

I like getting at least a taste of the highlights. We did a cruise from Barcelona (love it!) to Lisbon right before Covid. I’m glad that travel is pretty much back to normal, because I feel like I’m playing catch-up and I want to do it while I’m young enough to enjoy it. 

Good luck to your son finding the right opportunity in the right place.