Requesting any tips for trip to UK next week...

Heading 7/16 - 7/28 with wife to celebrate our 60 birthdays this summer...We will be with EF Tours, but will have some free time while in London, Edenborough/Scotland, back to Liverpool, then Dublin and Kearny, Ireland. 

No soccer/football games coincide, and can't swing it to St Andrews, but would appreciate restaurants, etc as our first time there.

Go Bills!

8 hours ago, The BLUES Brothers said:

Heading 7/16 - 7/28 with wife to celebrate our 60 birthdays this summer...We will be with EF Tours, but will have some free time while in London, Edenborough/Scotland, back to Liverpool, then Dublin and Kearny, Ireland. 

No soccer/football games coincide, and can't swing it to St Andrews, but would appreciate restaurants, etc as our first time there.

Go Bills!

Edinburgh Castle is worth a visit. The views from up there over to the firth are excellent. Have a walk up and down Princes Street then a lovely walk up to the castle. Walk back down via the Royal Mile. 

London is London. Get a guide book and pick a few things. Always something to suit everyone and so easy to get around.

I'm not a fan of Liverpool so not been too many times other than for soccer. I did go to The Beatles museum at Albert Dock once. That was quite cool. 

Restaurants is of course, dependant on your tastes. The internet, especially Trip Advisor is your friend there. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Regarding restaurants, Churchills Arms Pub in Kensington is good.

It's a famous old pub but serves very good Thai food. The menu is very descriptive, so no risk of getting something you don't like.

My wife always insists we go there whenever we were in London.

119 Kensington Church St.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Another plus in London is the quality and selection in the ready to eat sections of their large grocery stores.

If you don't have time or not in the mood to sit at a restaurant, Sainsbury's and Waitrose have great stuff and good wine selections to take back to your hotel, or eat while walking.

That was my standard lunch while walking in the daytime.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

Westminster Abbey was my favorite place to visit in all of London, so hopefully it's on your tour

It is on the list- wasn't aware it was this cool though- so more excited about it now - Thank you for the gust of enthusiasm!

• Like (+1) 1

The Churchill War Rooms, aka the Cabinet War Rooms is well worth a visit.

Cabinet War Rooms

It is where Churchill and staff ran the war from. Evidently they just walked out after WWII, and the rooms are exactly as they were then.

In the Whitehall District, I believe under the Treasury Building.

Very easy to get to.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Recently booked 16 nights in London, 1st time as well. Rented an apartment in West End, told it’s the area to stay, hoping that’s the case. Much of what we want to see is hours away one way and apparently full day jaunts, Beatles tour, Windsor, Downton Abbey. Churchill childhood castle, which is supposed to be amazing. Anyone done these? 

Also, Paris wasn’t in the conversation upon booking, now, wife wants to go to Paris for an overnight whirlwind visit. Is that enough time to get the Paris vibe?