QB Rankings (& Point Differential)

21 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

No reasonable person thinks Lamar Jackson is better than Josh Allen. No matter how many awards he may or may not win.

However there are many people that think Jackson is a terrible QB. Those people are wrong. 

He’s terrible against playoff defenses. 

If the goal is excitement and regular season success, then Jackson is great (hence the awards). 

If the goal is winning a Super Bowl, unless you’ve got the Steel Curtain defense, he ain’t your guy. 

17 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I have been a fan since 86' and all I want is a superbowl win.  I am 55, and will be 56 if we make it this year.  I will be honest and say,we win that thing and I am gonna break down like a baby.

I am in the same boat too...

Reference to Steve Young in the original article...  Allens needs his own Monkey off the back moment

monkey-off-the-back.jpeg

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I have been a fan since 86' and all I want is a superbowl win.  I am 55, and will be 56 if we make it this year.  I will be honest and say,we win that thing and I am gonna break down like a baby.

Same here, man. Same here.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I saw an article on 365 Scores that I thought was interesting.  According to the author, Scott Kacsmar, the Bills lead the league in scoring differential since 2019:

· Buffalo Bills +684 (no Super Bowls)

· Baltimore Ravens +647 (no Super Bowls)

· San Francisco 49ers +583 (0-2 in Super Bowl vs. Chiefs)

· Kansas City Chiefs +574 (3-1 in Super Bowls)

KC is 4th in regular season point differential but 6-0 in the playoffs against the top three teams.  

"That number for Buffalo (+684) is historic as it is the highest point differential in any 5-year span in the salary cap era (since 1994) for a team that made zero Super Bowl appearances out of it."

The article is actually a QB ranking.  Kacsmar was a nice write-up on Josh who he ranks #2.  Some excerpts...

While it took him some extra time to break out, Josh Allen has been the second-best quarterback in the NFL since 2020. People are going to point to Lamar Jackson and Aaron Rodgers winning multiple MVP awards since Allen’s been in the league, but neither of those players has been as valuable, durable, or as consistent as Allen in the last four years. ...

Since 2020, Allen has averaged 4,385 passing yards, 34.3 touchdown passes, 617 rushing yards, and 9 rushing touchdowns per season. Those are insane numbers. Steve Young for the 1998 49ers is one of the only quarterback seasons that comes close to hitting those averages as a dual threat...

The Bills rely so much on Allen, who has responded with four straight division titles and advanced to at least the divisional round every year since 2020. But it’s past time that Sean McDermott’s defense has his back in one of these January matchups with the Chiefs...

It's a good article.  Worth a read.

www.365scores.com/news/2024-nfl-quarterback-rankings-mahomes-tier

If we want to make some headway on this topic, it's important to look at the Scoring/Point Differential in the Playoffs.  

Since the same 2019 ... 

BUF:  250 (25.0)/238 (23.8) ... +12 ... per-game average +1.2  

KC:  477 (29.8)/369 (23.1) ... +108 ... per-game average +6.8 

SF:  284 (23.7)/251 (20.9) ... +33 ... per-game average +2.8  (Keep in mind, half of these games were with Garoppolo)  

BAL:  96 (16.0)/109 (18.2) ... -13 ... per-game average -2.2  

PHI:  137 (22.8)/132 (22.0) ... +5 ... per-game average +.8  

CIN:  163 (23.3)/132 (18.9) ... 31 ... per-game average +4.4  

The thing to look at there is the PA.  We're the worst.  It gets worse.  In the four seasons that we had the 1st, 2nd, 2nd, and 4th ranked Points Against/Scoring Defenses, we allowed an average of 24.7.  

That should be a clear indictment of the defensive side of things.  

The Chiefs' D ranked higher than 7th once, this past season.  

The Niners' D ranked higher than 8th only twice.  

The Eagles D ranked 8th once, after that, never higher than 15th.  

The Cincy D ranked 6th once, after that, never higher than 17th.  

The Ravens simply suck in the playoffs because Jackson sucks in the playoffs.  Jackson in 6 playoff games has averaged 221 passing yards on 57.4% completions, 1 TD, 1 INT, and a horrific rating of 75.7.  

It's not at all difficult to pinpoint where our biggest problem in the playoffs lies.  

Correct that and we have a Championship(s) already with more underway.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Youngster! But the sentiment rings true. 👍

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I hear you.  I've been a fan since 1969.

My earliest Bills memory is Mini Max Anderson getting popped and needing medical attention.  The announcer said he might have swallowed his tongue.  That terrified me because I was just starting to play football and didn't want to swallow my own tongue.  From what I've found online, Anderson may or may not have swallowed his tongue, but he did break his jaw.  His NFL dream lasted a mere two years.  

Inauspicious beginning to 55 years of fandom and I'm still waiting for my Lombardi.  It'll be emotional when Josh makes it happen.

I remember my dad saying that when I was a kid. A guy would get popped, stay down, and dad would say "swallowed his tongue." A phrase that certainly made an impression.

Nobody says that anymore. Urban myth exploded?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JP51 said:

I am convinced that is just a popularity contest... 

I do think Lamar is a remarkable player... but I wonder if push came to shove if those people who think he was the best wouldnt take Allen in a straight up trade. I certainly wouldnt take Lamar in a straight trade for Allen...  And yes, him winning the MVP was a popularity contest I think. I dont think that award is steeped in reality. just my opinion. 

You would be correct in that conviction, what else explains totally ignoring the endless pile of stats that say he should have been the MVP at least once…

33 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

If we want to make some headway on this topic, it's important to look at the Scoring/Point Differential in the Playoffs.  

Since the same 2019 ... 

BUF:  250 (25.0)/238 (23.8) ... +12 ... per-game average +1.2  

KC:  477 (29.8)/369 (23.1) ... +108 ... per-game average +6.8 

SF:  284 (23.7)/251 (20.9) ... +33 ... per-game average +2.8  (Keep in mind, half of these games were with Garoppolo)  

BAL:  96 (16.0)/109 (18.2) ... -13 ... per-game average -2.2  

PHI:  137 (22.8)/132 (22.0) ... +5 ... per-game average +.8  

CIN:  163 (23.3)/132 (18.9) ... 31 ... per-game average +4.4  

The thing to look at there is the PA.  We're the worst.  It gets worse.  In the four seasons that we had the 1st, 2nd, 2nd, and 4th ranked Points Against/Scoring Defenses, we allowed an average of 24.7.  

That should be a clear indictment of the defensive side of things.  

The Chiefs' D ranked higher than 7th once, this past season.  

The Niners' D ranked higher than 8th only twice.  

The Eagles D ranked 8th once, after that, never higher than 15th.  

The Cincy D ranked 6th once, after that, never higher than 17th.  

The Ravens simply suck in the playoffs because Jackson sucks in the playoffs.  Jackson in 6 playoff games has averaged 221 passing yards on 57.4% completions, 1 TD, 1 INT, and a horrific rating of 75.7.  

It's not at all difficult to pinpoint where our biggest problem in the playoffs lies.  

Correct that and we have a Championship(s) already with more underway.  

I agree! makes it crazy to hear most fans screaming about our WR room. When in fact our D is the side we need help with. If Milano and Bernard are both limited again because of their injuries last season, Benford/Elam still being a "thing", our safties and especially our edge rushers (Von). Man, we have some serious doubts on our D this year. I hope they can surprise us. I think beane makes a move. Saftey.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

I agree! makes it crazy to hear most fans screaming about our WR room. When in fact our D is the side we need help with. If Milano and Bernard are both limited again because of their injuries last season, Benford/Elam still being a "thing", our safties and especially our edge rushers (Von). Man, we have some serious doubts on our D this year. I hope they can surprise us. I think beane makes a move. Saftey.

Alas, our defensive side obviously involves coaching considering that it's in the playoffs.  

Last season, predictably, our rushing Defense plummeted.  I have two issues with this.  

First, face value, we went pass-rush/D heavy, which worked, for the most part, but in the four games where we allowed the most rushing yards, we lost all of them.  One being the KC playoff game in which Reid obviously knew this. 

Pacheco and Helaire logged 128 rushing yards and a TD on 7.5 YPC.  That's horrific.  

Of the games with our 7 worst rushing yards allowed, we've lost 5, and the Giants posted a great game against us, controlling the clock to a 2:48 ToP advantage, in a game whereby we attempted to out rush them, not put Allen's passing on the priority list.  We ran the ball 29 times and threw 30.  

Secondly, McD's take is that we need to establish the run to ultimately be successful.  As idiotic as that is in today's NFL, if that's true, then why the lack of emphasis on his part on D for stopping the run?  If that's the MO in today's NFL, they why only on our offensive side?  (rhetorical)  

The problem is clear.  

Everyone knew, or should have known, that neither Bernard nor Williams were known for their run defense abilities.  

Last season our YPC rushing D plummeted from 14th the season prior, to 28th as a direct result.  Milano is good, but he's not the difference in that run D.  Von Miller sure isn't.  

22 hours ago, FLFan said:

Terrible would be too strong a word to describe Jackson as a QB.  Overrated, second tier, and limited would be better descriptors when accessing Jackson as an NFL QB.  

I think you summed up Lamar perfectly.  For whatever reason, the Ravens w John Harbaugh and Lamar seem to be the most beloved franchise in the NFL.  Followed closely by the Mike Tomlin led Steelers.  Those two can do no wrong per the media and the networks.  Boo on that!!

I would argue that Mike Vick overall was better then Lamar.  When Vick played defenses were actually allowed to beat up QB's and WR's.  And he still was an amazing talent to watch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 7/12/2024 at 11:53 AM, Don Otreply said:

You would be correct in that conviction, what else explains totally ignoring the endless pile of stats that say he should have been the MVP at least once…

What got me, Don: "Now located in Beaufort SC, keeping the boat at Ladies island marina, my wife is the new Dock Master there, the new engine is installed in our sailboat, and we have become weekend sailors for the present, we will be heading to the Bahamas next year."

Good for you. I'm envious.

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

What got me, Don: "Now located in Beaufort SC, keeping the boat at Ladies island marina, my wife is the new Dock Master there, the new engine is installed in our sailboat, and we have become weekend sailors for the present, we will be heading to the Bahamas next year."

Good for you. I'm envious.

Good morning CSBill, hope all is good in your world, the sailboat cruising community likens going sailing to” working on your boat in exotic places” unfortunately it’s not all cocktails and beaches, but I will admit it is a lifestyle that I have grown to appreciate, we started full time cruising in 2018, starting in Connecticut going down the east coast, stopping in many very cool towns along the way, and then on to the Bahamas and then back, doing our best to avoid winter lol,  🏝️  ️  🍹 

GO BILLS!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Good morning CSBill, hope all is good in your world, the sailboat cruising community likens going sailing to” working on your boat in exotic places” unfortunately it’s not all cocktails and beaches, but I will admit it is a lifestyle that I have grown to appreciate, we started full time cruising in 2018, starting in Connecticut going down the east coast, stopping in many very cool towns along the way, and then on to the Bahamas and then back, doing our best to avoid winter lol,  🏝️  ️  🍹 

GO BILLS!!!

I almost adopted the cruising lifestyle. I looked at being a Looper.

But I'm a bachelor and would have to go alone. It's something I consider a two person operation. Single handed docking makes my sphincter tighten, or going through a lock alone.

23 minutes ago, boater said:

I almost adopted the cruising lifestyle. I looked at being a Looper.

But I'm a bachelor and would have to go alone. It's something I consider a two person operation. Single handed docking makes my sphincter tighten, or going through a lock alone.

You are correct, single handing is a stressful endeavor, I’ve taken out our bout solo for just a short sail and it was a lesson in paying attention to say the least lol, throw in the substantial currents that abound makes it imo, a necessity to have a second set of hands, who knows your first mate may be just around the corner, and doing the loop will come into sharper focus 👍

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/12/2024 at 11:20 AM, ganesh said:

I am in the same boat too...

Reference to Steve Young in the original article...  Allens needs his own Monkey off the back moment

monkey-off-the-back.jpeg

Allen has had his monkey of the back moment, McD tossed that mother ***** back on though. 

Dude ***** up more games than any coach I’ve seen. 

Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/12/2024 at 9:58 AM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The inexplicable thing is the difference between regular season vs. postseason defensive performances in these match ups.

In all 4 regular season games, and even including the lone loss in 2020, the Bills defense did a terrific job of keeping the score low: 26, 20, 20 and 17 points scored by the Chiefs offense. While the three postseason games the Chiefs offense has scored: 38, 42 and 27. The 27 looks somewhat nice on paper but reality is given the Chiefs offense last year, it's a high number of points. 27 points was 5 more points than the Chiefs regular season average, 10 more than they scored in the regular season match up against the Bills and the most points the Chiefs scored in their 4 total playoffs games last season. The Bills defense also needed one incredibly lucky play to keep the Chiefs from scoring 34 points in the most recent playoff loss. 

They also were averaging over 10 yards per play well into the 3rd quarter of that game.  The only reason they held them to 27 was Hardman's fumble at the goalline and the offense playing ball possession.  That was a little different tho...we had multiple defensive starters AND backups out that game and had AJ Klein who was planning to be in Key West on a family vacation 2 weeks ago starting at MLB and covering Kelce...I mean that's a mismatch and a half...

On 7/14/2024 at 8:28 AM, Don Otreply said:

GO BILLS!!!

That's awesome!  My aunt and uncle lived on their sailboat for years traveling up and down the east coast.  They settled in Beaufort years ago and have an amazing place right on the river.  We love going to visit!

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/14/2024 at 8:28 AM, Don Otreply said:

GO BILLS!!!

That's awesome. Enjoy the sea and stay safe.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/11/2024 at 3:23 PM, BigAl2526 said:

But Tyreek Hill thinks Lamar Jackson is a top five QB (#3) and Josh Allen isn't.  Then again, he thinks Tua is the second best QB in the league and Baker Mayfield rounds out his top five.

I'd be more inclined to take his opinion seriously if he didn't manage to have so many kids who are all half-siblings.