QB Rankings (& Point Differential)

I saw an article on 365 Scores that I thought was interesting.  According to the author, Scott Kacsmar, the Bills lead the league in scoring differential since 2019:

· Buffalo Bills +684 (no Super Bowls)

· Baltimore Ravens +647 (no Super Bowls)

· San Francisco 49ers +583 (0-2 in Super Bowl vs. Chiefs)

· Kansas City Chiefs +574 (3-1 in Super Bowls)

KC is 4th in regular season point differential but 6-0 in the playoffs against the top three teams.  

"That number for Buffalo (+684) is historic as it is the highest point differential in any 5-year span in the salary cap era (since 1994) for a team that made zero Super Bowl appearances out of it."

The article is actually a QB ranking.  Kacsmar was a nice write-up on Josh who he ranks #2.  Some excerpts...

While it took him some extra time to break out, Josh Allen has been the second-best quarterback in the NFL since 2020. People are going to point to Lamar Jackson and Aaron Rodgers winning multiple MVP awards since Allen’s been in the league, but neither of those players has been as valuable, durable, or as consistent as Allen in the last four years. ...

Since 2020, Allen has averaged 4,385 passing yards, 34.3 touchdown passes, 617 rushing yards, and 9 rushing touchdowns per season. Those are insane numbers. Steve Young for the 1998 49ers is one of the only quarterback seasons that comes close to hitting those averages as a dual threat...

The Bills rely so much on Allen, who has responded with four straight division titles and advanced to at least the divisional round every year since 2020. But it’s past time that Sean McDermott’s defense has his back in one of these January matchups with the Chiefs...

It's a good article.  Worth a read.

www.365scores.com/news/2024-nfl-quarterback-rankings-mahomes-tier

• Like (+1) 8
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I hope when it’s all said and done and we look back at Allen’s career in Buffalo it wasn’t just a one futile year after another.

If the football gods have any kind of fairness Allen will finish with at least a couple of championships under his belt in a Bills uniform. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

No reasonable person thinks Lamar Jackson is better than Josh Allen. No matter how many awards he may or may not win.

However there are many people that think Jackson is a terrible QB. Those people are wrong. 

But Tyreek Hill thinks Lamar Jackson is a top five QB (#3) and Josh Allen isn't.  Then again, he thinks Tua is the second best QB in the league and Baker Mayfield rounds out his top five.

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I saw an article on 365 Scores that I thought was interesting.  According to the author, Scott Kacsmar, the Bills lead the league in scoring differential since 2019:

KC is 4th in regular season point differential but 6-0 in the playoffs against the top three teams.  

"That number for Buffalo (+684) is historic as it is the highest point differential in any 5-year span in the salary cap era (since 1994) for a team that made zero Super Bowl appearances out of it."

The article is actually a QB ranking.  Kacsmar was a nice write-up on Josh who he ranks #2.  Some excerpts...

While it took him some extra time to break out, Josh Allen has been the second-best quarterback in the NFL since 2020. People are going to point to Lamar Jackson and Aaron Rodgers winning multiple MVP awards since Allen’s been in the league, but neither of those players has been as valuable, durable, or as consistent as Allen in the last four years. ...

Since 2020, Allen has averaged 4,385 passing yards, 34.3 touchdown passes, 617 rushing yards, and 9 rushing touchdowns per season. Those are insane numbers. Steve Young for the 1998 49ers is one of the only quarterback seasons that comes close to hitting those averages as a dual threat...

The Bills rely so much on Allen, who has responded with four straight division titles and advanced to at least the divisional round every year since 2020. But it’s past time that Sean McDermott’s defense has his back in one of these January matchups with the Chiefs...

I have been a fan since 86' and all I want is a superbowl win.  I am 55, and will be 56 if we make it this year.  I will be honest and say,we win that thing and I am gonna break down like a baby.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

No reasonable person thinks Lamar Jackson is better than Josh Allen. No matter how many awards he may or may not win.

However there are many people that think Jackson is a terrible QB. Those people are wrong. 

Terrible would be too strong a word to describe Jackson as a QB.  Overrated, second tier, and limited would be better descriptors when accessing Jackson as an NFL QB.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Chris Simms says it all the time on his podcast, no team in the NFL asks a player to do more that the Bills ask of Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Yep. Exactly. Lamar Jackson is a good QB. He is a dangerous playmaker. He has some limitations as a passer, as most QB's do.

But he is no Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Send this to the folk who determine the MVP designation…, 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I have been a fan since 86' and all I want is a superbowl win.  I am 55, and will be 56 if we make it this year.  I will be honest and say,we win that thing and I am gonna break down like a baby.

I hear you.  I've been a fan since 1969.

My earliest Bills memory is Mini Max Anderson getting popped and needing medical attention.  The announcer said he might have swallowed his tongue.  That terrified me because I was just starting to play football and didn't want to swallow my own tongue.  From what I've found online, Anderson may or may not have swallowed his tongue, but he did break his jaw.  His NFL dream lasted a mere two years.  

Inauspicious beginning to 55 years of fandom and I'm still waiting for my Lombardi.  It'll be emotional when Josh makes it happen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

He's a terrible playoff qb.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, The 9 Isles said:

I hope when it’s all said and done and we look back at Allen’s career in Buffalo it wasn’t just a one futile year after another.

If the football gods have any kind of fairness Allen will finish with at least a couple of championships under his belt in a Bills uniform. 

I'm sure the Bills will have a couple seasons where the breaks go their way in the tournament and they get through.   In a single elimination tournament, luck and team health plays a much bigger part then in the regular season.   It will happen since they will keep getting into the tournament.   

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, FLFan said:

Terrible would be too strong a word to describe Jackson as a QB.  Overrated, second tier, and limited would be better descriptors when accessing Jackson as an NFL QB.  

Lamar is a great QB. He really is, but to suggest he is on the same level as a passer as Allen or Burrow is abusrd. Him winning the MVP this year was also a joke. I can't think of a less deserving player than Lamar last year. CMC or JA were the choices 

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I hear you.  I've been a fan since 1969.

My earliest Bills memory is Mini Max Anderson getting popped and needing medical attention.  The announcer said he might have swallowed his tongue.  That terrified me because I was just starting to play football and didn't want to swallow my own tongue.  From what I've found online, Anderson may or may not have swallowed his tongue, but he did break his jaw.  His NFL dream lasted a mere two years.  

Inauspicious beginning to 55 years of fandom and I'm still waiting for my Lombardi.  It'll be emotional when Josh makes it happen.

You post makes me think of the longest yard.  "I think I broke his freaking neck" 😆

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Chris Simms says it all the time on his podcast, no team in the NFL asks a player to do more that the Bills ask of Allen. 

Because every OC he’s had has been a

a steaming pile of 💩.  Let’s hope Brady is the exception.  

• Disagree 1

14 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Send this to the folk who determine the MVP designation…, 

I am convinced that is just a popularity contest... 

40 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Lamar is a great QB. He really is, but to suggest he is on the same level as a passer as Allen or Burrow is abusrd. Him winning the MVP this year was also a joke. I can't think of a less deserving player than Lamar last year. CMC or JA were the choices 

I do think Lamar is a remarkable player... but I wonder if push came to shove if those people who think he was the best wouldnt take Allen in a straight up trade. I certainly wouldnt take Lamar in a straight trade for Allen...  And yes, him winning the MVP was a popularity contest I think. I dont think that award is steeped in reality. just my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

Although the article is about quarterbacks, it provides an interesting - if not original - view of McD.

Over the past 5 years, the Bills have the best point differential in the league.  Yes, of course Josh contributes to that.  But, still, it's impressive and suggests some good coaching is going on.  But in the playoffs, McD can't beat Reid and Mahomes.  

I'm not big on what-if, alternate reality speculations.  But when I read the article, I couldn't help but think how recent Bills history - and McD's reputation - would have been different if the Reid-Mahomes marriage never happened.  

Interesting seeing the Bills and Ravens at the top by a wide margin. The two are both dominant regular season teams on both sides of the ball. But in the postseason they have conflicting issues. Bills defense is shown to be frauds in the postseason while it's the Ravens offense is shown to be frauds in the postseason. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Over the past 5 years, the Bills have the best point differential in the league.  Yes, of course Josh contributes to that.  But, still, it's impressive and suggests some good coaching is going on.  But in the playoffs, McD can't beat Reid and Mahomes.  

The inexplicable thing is the difference between regular season vs. postseason defensive performances in these match ups.

In all 4 regular season games, and even including the lone loss in 2020, the Bills defense did a terrific job of keeping the score low: 26, 20, 20 and 17 points scored by the Chiefs offense. While the three postseason games the Chiefs offense has scored: 38, 42 and 27. The 27 looks somewhat nice on paper but reality is given the Chiefs offense last year, it's a high number of points. 27 points was 5 more points than the Chiefs regular season average, 10 more than they scored in the regular season match up against the Bills and the most points the Chiefs scored in their 4 total playoffs games last season. The Bills defense also needed one incredibly lucky play to keep the Chiefs from scoring 34 points in the most recent playoff loss. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib
  • Like (+1) 3