The famous Pumpkin game. 1988 Bills at Jets

Gregg

34 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I have no recollection of this game, I was too young but it sounds like they need to make a 30 for 30 about this night :lol:

They should. Here is a recap.

Oct. 17, 1988 ­— Bills 37, Jets 14 The “Pumpkin Game” featured 41 incidents of improper behavior in the stands, 15 arrests and 56 ejections. Fans burned complimentary paper hats in the stands and batted around an inflated pumpkin. This game led to the stadium halting beer sales after halftime during games.

• Shocked 1

On 7/12/2024 at 12:00 AM, That's No Moon said:

This game is counterargument number 1 when someone talks about how bad spectators are these days.

What I left out was that the weather was exceptionally warm for a halloween, and people started tailgating early in the afternoon for a Monday Night Game. I knew before the game even started that a very high percentage of the stadium was heavily intoxicated. A Bills fan was punched out a few rows down from me and ran up the stairway aisle. Before he got to the top he was attacked by another Jet Fan. 

Again, I was NOT wearing Bills gear and to this day I will never, not ever wear an opposing team logo to any sporting event. I wish good luck to those who do but it is quite the risk imo. I went to the Alabama/Arkansas game in Tuscaloosa in 2023. There were some fans with Arkansas T-shirts. To my surprise, nobody bothered them (that I witnessed) and Crimson Tide Fans are insane. I guess one never knows but many Jet Fans at The Pumpkin Game were behaving like criminals.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

What I left out was that the weather was exceptionally warm for a halloween, and people started tailgating early in the afternoon for a Monday Night Game. I knew before the game even started that a very high percentage of the stadium was heavily intoxicated. A Bills fan was punched out a few rows down from me and ran up the stairway aisle. Before he got to the top he was attacked by another Jet Fan. 

Again, I was NOT wearing Bills gear and to this day I will never, not ever wear an opposing team logo to any sporting event. I wish good luck to those who do but it is quite the risk imo. I went to the Alabama/Arkansas game in Tuscaloosa in 2023. There were some fans with Arkansas T-shirts. TYo my surprise, nobody bothered them (that I witnessed) and Crimson Tide Fans are insane. I guess one never knows but many Jet Fans at The Pumpkin Game were behaving like criminals.

You could wear Bills gear at MetLife now. Lots of Bills fans show up at MetLife except last year when Rodgers started. Jets fans weren't selling their tickets for that game. With increased prices and PSL fees many of the rowdies no longer go to the games. The crowds aren't nearly as crazy as they were back in the Giants Stadium days.

Edited by Gregg
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Utah John said:

Just watching the game now, the announcers only gave you a small taste of what was going on.  A guy pissing to put out a fire?  That's gotta be some kind of record for a non-soccer sporting event.

It was in the stands behind the endzone. By then many of the seats were empty.  Wives and girlfriends must have demanded that they wanted out of there. I could see it because by then I had the best seat I ever had. Security wasn't worried about correct seating lol. When the Bills would make a great play, I stfu!!!

58 minutes ago, Gregg said:

They should. Here is a recap.

Oct. 17, 1988 ­— Bills 37, Jets 14 The “Pumpkin Game” featured 41 incidents of improper behavior in the stands, 15 arrests and 56 ejections. Fans burned complimentary paper hats in the stands and batted around an inflated pumpkin. This game led to the stadium halting beer sales after halftime during games.

In all seriousness if this was the game that led to stadiums cutting off beer sales after halftime that's a pretty significant game in NFL history.  I know there have been little features and mini docs on Cleveland's(Indians not Browns) 10 cent beer night in the 70s

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

He asks me what happened.    I tell him the guy in the green jersey drank too many adult cokes.

Was I being dishonest?

I would think most seven-years-olds know what a beer is! 🍺

[At five, the first thing my new friends did was ask me if I knew what a "va****" was, lol. Of course, I had already heard all the four letter words.]

Edited by chongli

16 hours ago, julian said:

There’s fans who’ve been around longer than myself, watched more games than myself, but I’ve paid close attention to this franchise for a long time and I know of plenty of games that have earned nicknames and are well recognized by NFL fans in general.

This is the first time I’ve heard of the famous “pumpkin game”

I may have not seen this game as it was right at the time I started paying attention, but I’ve never heard of the nickname either.

I was deployed to Korea in '88, missed this telecast, and never heard of "The Pumpkin Game."  

I didn't watch all 60 minutes but I did watch some of it.  Fun to see the Bills on the cusp of near-greatness.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Utah John said:

Just watching the game now, the announcers only gave you a small taste of what was going on.  A guy pissing to put out a fire?  That's gotta be some kind of record for a non-soccer sporting event.

Yeah one would think that he might have feared getting something burned off LOL.  By that time he probably has 25 or 30 beers. I have NEVER seen this many drunk people at the same time and that is truly saying something.

I saw more stoned out people at Grateful Dead concerts but those are stories for another day. :) 

So why did it get to this point? Was there a specific trigger or something?

If the NFL allowed selling beer after half time for its whole history up until that point, surely it wasn't all blamed on alcohol, right?

44 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I was deployed to Korea in '88, missed this telecast, and never heard of "The Pumpkin Game."  

I didn't watch all 60 minutes but I did watch some of it.  Fun to see the Bills on the cusp of near-greatness.  

Yeah definitely cool seeing early Bills Kelly laying the foundation, using most of the play clock is odd to see lol

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, julian said:

Yeah definitely cool seeing early Bills Kelly laying the foundation, using most of the play clock is odd to see lol

That was a multitalented, potent offense.  Though the Flip Johnson TD was pure luck and the kind of play that seems to go against us more often than for us.  

As I watched the replay, I couldn't help but think how scary Kelly would have been if he had Josh's scrambling and running ability.  

• Agree 1

On 7/11/2024 at 12:42 PM, Bills fan since 87 said:

Every now and then when I am watching a game I find myself wishing for the old days before graphics were all over our screen.

Then I watch old games like these (I remember this one) and wonder how I ever dealt without the score/time not being constantly on my screen.

If you tune in late or come back from a beer run to the fridge there could have been 3 touchdowns scored.  Who knows?  There could have been an injury and only 5 seconds came off the game clock, who knows?

Still prefer the old announcers though

I get a kick out of the commercials we had back then.

Had a buddy who had one of those 2nd generation Ford Fiestas... just wouldn't die.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I get a kick out of the commercials we had back then.

Had a buddy who had one of those 2nd generation Ford Fiestas... just wouldn't die.

Love the old commercials!! Nothing pulls me back like a commercial I didnt remeber but dont know how i forgot 

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

That was a multitalented, potent offense.  Though the Flip Johnson TD was pure luck and the kind of play that seems to go against us more often than for us.  

As I watched the replay, I couldn't help but think how scary Kelly would have been if he had Josh's scrambling and running ability.  

Kelly was already 28 by this time and had taken a LOT of abuse. This was also the time when QBs still got hit late (or what would be late today) and you weren't safe when you slid when running either.  Running QBs were targets.  

This was described by Dan Dierdorf as "a clean shot"

Again, no flag on this play.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Kelly was already 28 by this time and had taken a LOT of abuse. This was also the time when QBs still got hit late (or what would be late today) and you weren't safe when you slid when running either.  Running QBs were targets.  

This was described by Dan Dierdorf as "a clean shot"

Again, no flag on this play.

I don't know how you found those two replays but... wow... reminds me how brutal football used to be.  

Also reminds me to have respect for the QBs (and RBs and WRs) of the past who were taking those hits.  

• Like (+1) 1