You’re on the Committee—Who Would You Have Already Enshrined in the HOF, or Not Voted In?

14 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I was young fan at the time but old enough to cry my ass off. I can't help but takeaway how desperate we are to just get to one again. To me it adds even more weight to what they did. But agree 100%, especially regarding the coordinators. Marchibroda did some things post Buffalo, but I remember Walt Corey as a liability and after Marchibroda we never really had a contributor at OC. Marv was just outclassed as a tactician. Exceptional leader and great and keeping the ship steady but he wasn't an X's and O's guy. While very different people I see McD and Marv as being fairly similar in strengths and limitations. 

I dont disagree there... If McD gets the right staff and incorporates them, changes and doesnt just rest on the tried and true he has a shot... Marv was loyal to a fault and it bit him because he didnt have the tactical ability (just watching Dallas and Washington build those Olines and his answer was Jeff Wright... year after year... ), he was and epic leader and motivator, but no one will confuse him with Bill B lol... He would have been fine if he would have had those pieces. And yet... I cried too LOL... but I was in my 20s... 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/13/2024 at 2:48 PM, Rampant Buffalo said:

On the other hand, the Hall of Fame is supposed to be for those players who were truly elite. It's not the Hall of the Very Good.

Is it? As far as Ive seen there is no standard criteria or definition of who gets in or why. As a matter of fact, I've heard more HoF voters use the line "If you were telling the story of the NFL, would you include this player when talking about their era?"

And to that end, I am happy to resurrect...

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Is it? As far as Ive seen there is no standard criteria or definition of who gets in or why. As a matter of fact, I've heard more HoF voters use the line "If you were telling the story of the NFL, would you include this player when talking about their era?"

And to that end, I am happy to resurrect...

I love this thread. I voted yes.

But imo, you can tell the story of the NFL without Fitz. If he had a single playoff run, I think he actually gets in.

His crowning achievement is missing the playoffs with the Jets.  That’s tough.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/10/2024 at 9:29 PM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Is there anyone who’s donned a Hall of Fame gold jacket that in your opinion is less deserving than another candidate who’s still not been voted in? 

For example, how did Andre Johnson deserve it more than say, Reggie Wayne, who won a SB and has better overall stats? (14,185 yds, 70 TDs vs 14,345 yds, 82 TDs). 

If you had the power to remove one sitting HOF player, who? Likewise who would you have already enshrined?

Man, Wayne deserves to be in the HOF, but he had the opportunity to share the offensive load with other playmakers (i.e. Marvin Harrison), and he had Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck throwing him the ball.

Johnson had none of that. He was THE focal point of that offense with guys like David Carr, Sage Rosenfels, and Matt Schaub at QB. Just my opinion, but Johnson deserved the HOF more than Wayne.

It's scary to think what guys like Andre Johnson or Megatron could have done with good QBs.