You’re on the Committee—Who Would You Have Already Enshrined in the HOF, or Not Voted In?

Is there anyone who’s donned a Hall of Fame gold jacket that in your opinion is less deserving than another candidate who’s still not been voted in? 

For example, how did Andre Johnson deserve it more than say, Reggie Wayne, who won a SB and has better overall stats? (14,185 yds, 70 TDs vs 14,345 yds, 82 TDs). 

If you had the power to remove one sitting HOF player, who? Likewise who would you have already enshrined?

• Thank you (+1) 1

I would remove Namath.  And I would put in Tasker.  Not being a Homer, but Tasker was the best special teams player ever.  The best players are supposed to be in the HOF.

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

4 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Is there anyone who’s donned a Hall of Fame gold jacket that in your opinion is less deserving than another candidate who’s still not been voted in? 

For example, how did Andre Johnson deserve it more than say, Reggie Wayne, who won a SB and has better overall stats? (14,185 yds, 70 TDs vs 14,345 yds, 82 TDs). 

If you had the power to remove one sitting HOF player, who? Likewise who would you have already enshrined?

Reggie will get in.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Let's Go Buffalo said:

I've always thought that Steve Tasker deserved to be in. He dominated against the best, so I think he deserves to be considered one of the best, in my opinion. 

Tasker made special teams the third part of football. Before him, it was just throwing your scrubs out there. Tasker elevated it to a way to affect games. Him not being in the Hall is a travesty.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

People are going to flame me for this one, but a guy I would consider removing is Marv Levy.  Losing 4 in a row is not necessarily HOF worthy 

I can appreciate the sentiment, but does getting to 4 in a row merit anything? Never done before or since. Plus the Bills put together an historical run over those four seasons as well. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

As you know I'm not a fan of special teams but to deny that they have an impact on the game is nonsense as well. 

The HOF is as much about the players as it is the history of the game.

It's hard to near impossible to talk about the evolution of the NFL without talking about how the original special teams expert changed the game. So in that context I would vote Tasker in.  If you are just going off of talent alone however then I would not vote Tasker in.

For those that should be in on talent:

Jim Marshall

Clay Matthews

Reggie Wayne

Otis Taylor

Sterlin Sharpe

I would also vote Dick LeBeau in again as a coach. He already is in as a player. 

I can't think of any other coach. They finally got Flores and Coryell inducted.

For those I would remove, there are several. There are so many guys that are in the good to great category but are not truly elite. As of late it seems much more watered down. All of the following would be removed and I would be fine with it

Steve McMichael

Patrick Willis

Rhonde Barber

Zach Thomas

LeRoy Butler

John Lynch

Brian Dawkins

Kurt Warner

Marv Levy

Lynn Swann

• Like (+1) 2

I will stay home for this one... and probably be semi controversial... 

Include - Tasker, Kent Hull and Biscuit

Remove - Marv Levy 

I may be bitter from 4 superbowl losses but I believe he may have had one of the best teams assembled and never won one. He was radically out coached in at least 2 of those games.  I have always felt he was a product of Bill Polian's GM prowess... He was excellent coach that kept those egos in check and focused (mostly) LOL  but not Hall of Fame level. 

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

I'd remove Bob Hayes, WR. Seems like he was a good player, but not hall of fame worthy.

Also Lynn Swann, WR. He was another good WR who got in because he was a Steeler. Not hall of fame caliber to me.

Also Terrell Davis, RB. He was amazing for a few years, but didn't have the longevity I think is necessary to make the hall of fame. He ranks 58th in career rushing yards and 54th in TD's.

Players who should be in: Steve Tasker, Torry Holt, Reggie Wayne.

• Like (+1) 3

There would be a lot of people I'd remove.  Some of them don't even make sense based on the HOF standards.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I'd remove Bob Hayes, WR. Seems like he was a good player, but not hall of fame worthy.

Also Lynn Swann, WR. He was another good WR who got in because he was a Steeler. Not hall of fame caliber to me.

Also Terrell Davis, RB. He was amazing for a few years, but didn't have the longevity I think is necessary to make the hall of fame. He ranks 58th in career rushing yards and 54th in TD's.

Players who should be in: Steve Tasker, Torry Holt, Reggie Wayne.

Davis for sure based on how many no name backs ran for big yards in that offense...like Orlandis Gary. Pretty much plug any RB in there and they were a 1,000 yard rusher.

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

People are going to flame me for this one, but a guy I would consider removing is Marv Levy.  Losing 4 in a row is not necessarily HOF worthy 

Coattailed in.  

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I've long argued Marv doesn't belong. I was shocked at the time that he was voted in. 

I still think he doesn't belong.

That said one time winners like Brian Billick don't belong either just for winning it once. Tom Flores waited far too long. A guy like Coryell never even made a SuperBowl but was more impactful on the game than Levy was.

Here is an equally odd argument.  I'd argue Tom Coughlin warrants HOF more than Eli Manning. I suspect both will get in but I think Coughlin deserves it and Eli does not. 

• Agree 1