A Day With Keon Coleman

Lost

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I think with a good QB in an NFL style offense he looks like a dangerous player.  Powerful size advantage, and a pretty good head on his shoulders it seems from a football IQ standpoint.  NFL offenses use option routes a lot to create space based on coverage reads, and Allen can put the ball anywhere on the field.  

Its the offseason and nothing is happening but color me excited that this kid could have a big year.  Being a strong dude also gives him 3 down potential because of his blocking.  I'm not sure how he'll handle iso press man, but you can also move him inside off the line on money downs.  

Maybe I'm just a homer but I agree.

If a defense plays zone, he seems to have a good football IQ and will find the seams.

If a team is in man and he doesn't get much separation (as Logic and others warn), he'll still be a viable target.  He's a bigger guy with a good catch radius running routes for a QB who doesn't mind tight windows.  

It's probably worth mentioning that both Diggs and Davis were below the league average in separation last year.  Coleman will be fine.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Good video. Besides the fun moments, great to see he wants to put the work in. And his fave NBA player is Kobe — because even though he wasn't the most physically gifted (so says Keon, I don't know b-ball well) Kobe put the work in. It could all be talk but if so, he's putting on a great act for a kid.

that's no act there, I see a future star wr. he hasn't just the physical attributes but he has a good head on his shoulders and the right attitude to succeed at the nfl level.

vid starts at his reply to the question about change over at wr in buffalo...really like his reply

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Good video. Besides the fun moments, great to see he wants to put the work in. And his fave NBA player is Kobe — because even though he wasn't the most physically gifted (so says Keon, I don't know b-ball well) Kobe put the work in. It could all be talk but if so, he's putting on a great act for a kid.

I think Kobe was pretty darned gifted physically.  I’m not saying he didn’t put in a ton of work, but to describe him as not gifted is a stretch, in my opinion.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

I want Keon to do well only to shut this board up at this point. 

Kinda like….if we just win ONE? 

Those people will be greedy as hell at the next draft!   😂 

1 hour ago, Nephilim17 said:

They need to research Jordan's story. Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team and took that as motivation to become the GOAT. Kobe and LeBron were already high school greats before entering the league. Jordan had to go the collegiate route 

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

I want Keon to do well only to shut this board up at this point. 

I'd say the same about McD winning a Super Bowl but I know there's those saying he should have at least two by now with the god Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Lost said:

Cool little nugget I noticed while watching this is that Keon still appears to be wearing the friendship bracelets that 10 yr old Bills fan Logan Bittner made for him back in May.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40187400/keon-coleman-buffalo-bills-friendship-bracelet

It’s stuff like this or like Josh remembering all the names of Haushka’s kids that make my respect for a player go right up. So much more easy to root for than a guy like Devante Adam’s who assaults camera men or Mahomes who has 3 year old tantrums on the sideline over a blatant rule infraction. I know how people get on McD & Beane’s case for going after “character” guys, but it does make the team much more likable. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

They need to research Jordan's story. Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team and took that as motivation to become the GOAT. Kobe and LeBron were already high school greats before entering the league. Jordan had to go the collegiate route 

No shade at you - but the Jordan 'cut' story is not the big deal it sometimes is made out to be - as a sophmore he tried out for varsity and was placed on JV instead - which is a pretty typical scenario for a sophmore.  He was skinny and 5'10 and had a growth spurt after

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'd say the same about McD winning a Super Bowl but I know there's those saying he should have at least two by now with the god Josh Allen.

I will get banned the day McD wins one.  Maybe he shouldn't. 

8 hours ago, Lost said:

CBS Sports and former Steelers DB Bryant McFadden went Texas to meet up with Coleman for a workout and to learn more about the Bills top WR draft pick.  

Unfortunately by the time Keon showed up the day was over and they had to wrap up production.  😂

Joking aside, this was a nice segment showing the work Keon has been putting in and highlighting is humble attitude.  

"I am not Gabe, I am not Stefon. I am Keon". 

Love this guy so much ! 

Please be a good player. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Maybe. But this isn't really about basketball but what drives Keon and what earns his respect. And if he's being truthful — and I think we have to take him at face value until he proves otherwise — he says that he liked Kobe best because of his work ethic. And Keon says he wants to put in the work to be unguardable.

Apologies if I'm misquoting but that what was my takeaway and the Keon part of this matters to me, not the backstories of b-ball legends.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I think with a good QB in an NFL style offense he looks like a dangerous player.  Powerful size advantage, and a pretty good head on his shoulders it seems from a football IQ standpoint.  NFL offenses use option routes a lot to create space based on coverage reads, and Allen can put the ball anywhere on the field.  

Its the offseason and nothing is happening but color me excited that this kid could have a big year.  Being a strong dude also gives him 3 down potential because of his blocking.  I'm not sure how he'll handle iso press man, but you can also move him inside off the line on money downs.  

I think the hands and size and the Bills commitment to the option route was a big selling point.

11 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Knew he was big but he looked really big in that video…..I like it. I’m starting to think we might end up looking sort of smart when these WRs show up

Because I am latching onto all content like a starving remora I listened to a Cover One/Mina Kimes crossover about the Bills offense and both are predicting a follow on from last year: the pendulum swinging back to heavier sets instead of spread.

Spread works great if you have even a Tua level ball distributor but after getting roasted by it NFL defenses have adjusted. The spread and speedy bodies come at a loss to run games, trading the ability to control pace for greater speed in scoring. That hasn't changed but most defenses have been moving to...well what the Bills do: prioritize taking away the big shot down field. Force teams to achieve Machines and Brady like consistency. And to do that nickel has become the new base defense.

Except last year, you saw the Niners, Lions and Rams all thrive with QBs who've never been known for automaton like precision (Stafford, Goff, Purdy). And they did with condensed formations, which let you get a free release to a WR while still keeping the run option a possibility. Brady was running these at the end of last season. The Lions and Rams especially did it with big bodied WRs and TEs , and the Niners did it with CMC and Deebo Samuel. And I see a lot of those features with Cook, Curtis Samuel, Coleman, Kincaid (not to mention Shakir) not to mention the benefit of one of those diamonds in the rough (Claypool, MVS, Hamler) pays off.

6 hours ago, rayray808 said:

will that footwork hold up vs CB1's?

we shall see...

That's the critique I take the most stock in. Keenan Allen and Nakua didn't exactly leave flames on the turf with their 40 time and I think all of us would take a player of that caliber.

But route running? The way he was used didn't really develop that, at least to the extent that some of the top prospects did and even then route running is something you need to develop vs NFL caliber opposition. 

Now, do I think he CAN develop that. Sure. He seems eager enough to put the work in. Will it be in time to impact this season? We will find out.