Who is your surprise cut this year?

7 hours ago, boyst said:

Von Miller

6 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Ooh, interesting one. Dead cap hit is huge ($23 million?) so he'd really have to look washed in preseason. But I wouldn't rule it out.

I can't see it from a cap perspective. His cap hit this season goes UP by over $8M if he's cut. Plus we'd have to roster a replacement which would add to the cap. Even if he isn't physically right to play, they can't cut him until next offseason without some offsetting cap moves.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I can't see it from a cap perspective. His cap hit this season goes UP by over $8M if he's cut. Plus we'd have to roster a replacement which would add to the cap. Even if he isn't physically right to play, they can't cut him until next offseason without some offsetting cap moves.

That's why I said surprise cut. He'd have come in lazy, lost, spent. 

My vote is Dawson Knox.  Not so much an outright cut, but a win-win trade to a team where he'd see starter snaps and for the Bills, get out from under that contract.   

Yes, there are plenty of footballs to catch, but perhaps one of the pass catchers not named Kincaid, Samuel or Coleman outplays him and they don't need to pay that much for a blocking TE.  

5 hours ago, Logic said:

Kaiir Elam.

One of Ja'Marcus Ingram, Ta'Cory Couch, or Keni-H Lovely (how are these real names?) could outplay him.

Or, more likely, a cut from another team takes his roster spot.

I'm hoping this doesn't happen. Elam showing he was worth his 1st round price tag would be HUGE for this team. Absolutely enormous. But you said "surprise cut", so...

Agreed,  If he doesn't show something very special in pre-season with his 3rd year on the roster it wouldn't be surprising!

12 hours ago, JP51 said:

If not I would go Milano (yes I assume I get pushback here....) but I can envision him not coming back or healing properly and simply losing the ability to perform and the Bills either cutting or IRing him.

Never may that be… hush yo’ mouth … do not even think those vile thoughts 

• Like (+1) 1

• BuffaloBill changed the title to Who is your surprise cut this year?
10 hours ago, Ponch said:

Never may that be… hush yo’ mouth … do not even think those vile thoughts 

I know because on the opposite side he is maybe the primary person we have coming back that we are counting on to lead the defense and wreck games for other offenses. Tough kid, I am hopeful that he returns to form. 

17 hours ago, boyst said:

That's why I said surprise cut. He'd have come in lazy, lost, spent. 

I took this to be a challenge to correctly guess the  most surprising cut that actually happens, or at least has a chance to happen. Von Miller realistically can’t be cut due to cap implications. If that weren’t the case, then the Bills would have already cut him. If he comes in lazy, lost, spent, then he’ll be inactive or, more likely, they’ll find an excuse to IR him as a face-saving measure for both sides. 

Edit: see update below

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/10/2024 at 8:28 AM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Remember this would be a surprise..

David Edwards

If Van Pran proves capable to play center, them McGovern stays at LG. I like Anderson to be the backup inside as he can also play Center. Collins is the utility knife that can play extra OT in heavy sets and can back up both OT and OG spots. 

I completely disagree. Even if he's not a starter, Edwards was the 6th ol and excelled in that role, which Brady implemented a few times every game,  he was also a quality starter in LA 

He's probably our most underrated olmen

On 7/10/2024 at 8:05 AM, BuffaloBill said:

Every year there is some player cut who you yo believed was a roster lock.  Who is your candidate this year?

Tremaine Edmunds.  You never said Bills player.

Too bad since he's only 20.  He could always try acting, I see him as 'Samurai Cop 3'.

• Haha (+1) 1

Milano if the team thinks he’ll never return to form after that injury

Bass if he has a bad camp

Rapp if they like the rookie and other vets they signed.

Elam if he has a bad camp

Trubisky if he has a bad camp. Lots of backup QBs floating around out there.

^ I don’t think these will happen, and they would surprise me. But they are within the realm of possibility.

I don’t think they will cut Miller, the dead cap is too high.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I took this to be a challenge to correctly guess the  most surprising cut that actually happens, or at least has a chance to happen. Von Miller realistically can’t be cut due to cap implications. If that weren’t the case, then the Bills would have already cut him. If he comes in lazy, lost, spent, then he’ll be inactive or, more likely, they’ll find an excuse to IR him as a face-saving measure for both sides. 

I looked at this again. The cap implications of a post 6/1 cut of Miller (which he’d obviously be at this point) are actually manageable. His 2024 cap hit would reduce by $280k. The full contract details have not worked their way out into the public so there might be some guarantees for him to be on the roster this year. But from what is known it looks like cutting him this season might actually be feasible. 

Offense.  Max Hollins.  Defense Mike Edwards.  A year removed from his cardiac arrest Hamlin will return to the player he was in 22 and is the third safety.  Numbers game puts Hollins off the roster.  Claypool, Coleman, and MVS make Hollins redundant.  Halmer is the last wr on the roster.  Hamler plays a Jon Brown role and is the primary kick returner.