Who is your surprise cut this year?

Remember this would be a surprise..

David Edwards

If Van Pran proves capable to play center, them McGovern stays at LG. I like Anderson to be the backup inside as he can also play Center. Collins is the utility knife that can play extra OT in heavy sets and can back up both OT and OG spots. 

• Like (+1) 2

If Damar is a surprise then Damar

If not I would go Milano (yes I assume I get pushback here....) but I can envision him not coming back or healing properly and simply losing the ability to perform and the Bills either cutting or IRing him.

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Von Miller

Ooh, interesting one. Dead cap hit is huge ($23 million?) so he'd really have to look washed in preseason. But I wouldn't rule it out.

3 minutes ago, JP51 said:

If Damar is a surprise then Damar

If not I would go Milano (yes I assume I get pushback here....) but I can envision him not coming back or healing properly and simply losing the ability to perform and the Bills either cutting or IRing him.

No pushback here on Milano. 

Of course we all hope he'll be at least 90% of the pre-injury guy. But it was so brutal that we just don't know yet.

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Ooh, interesting one. Dead cap hit is huge ($23 million?) so he'd really have to look washed in preseason. But I wouldn't rule it out.

No pushback here on Milano. 

Of course we all hope he'll be at least 90% of the pre-injury guy. But it was so brutal that we just don't know yet.

Thats where I am at... and I do expect him to come back strong, but the possibility exists and that's why it would be a surprise... but lets face it... this guy has had some nasty injury history... at what point does his body just go I cant do this anymore... I hope its not this year. 

2 hours ago, scuba guy said:

Rapp  because he takes peoples heads off

….and he does so rather indiscriminately, friend or foe matters little. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think Alpha's probably right and the biggest surprises have already happened.

But if I had to guess, I'd say Mitch Trubisky.   Somewhere in the NFL, a decent QB will be a surprise cut and we'll sign the guy to be Josh's backup.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

But if I had to guess, I'd say Mitch Trubisky.   Somewhere in the NFL, a decent QB will be a surprise cut and we'll sign the guy to be Josh's backup.  

Agreed 💯. Was going to post the same things.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

David Edwards

If Van Pran proves capable to play center, them McGovern stays at LG. I like Anderson to be the backup inside as he can also play Center. Collins is the utility knife that can play extra OT in heavy sets and can back up both OT and OG spots. 

That would certainly be a big surprise. Cutting Edwards would be terrible in any situation-  3M guaranteed. If he wasn’t part of our plan, Beane would likely get a draft pick.  

• Agree 1

Just now, NewEra said:

That would certainly be a big surprise. Cutting Edwards would be terrible in any situation-  3M guaranteed. If he wasn’t part of our plan, Beane would likely get a draft pick.  

Yeah I guess I equate those two(cut/trade) in a question like this. You are correct he could probably get a 7th for him or a capable backup RB in the very very rare player for player trade.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I agree, Mitch would be a surprise, you don't see a lot of good teams mess with the QB room late in the offseason very often unless they are a team that clearly needs a better backup. That is just because it's the position that takes the most time to learn.  Between the playbook, lingo, reps with receivers, etc it's just a tall ask to get a new QB up to speed while you are prepping the team for the start of the season. 

That is even more true for the Bills since the whole offense is learning a new system as well.  So for me, I think it's a low probability (although not impossible by any means) that Mitch is cut for those reasons and also given they know him, resigned him, and he and Allen are tight.  I think they would have to really want the other QB to make that change just before the season starts.  

• Like (+1) 1

Kaiir Elam.

One of Ja'Marcus Ingram, Ta'Cory Couch, or Keni-H Lovely (how are these real names?) could outplay him.

Or, more likely, a cut from another team takes his roster spot.

I'm hoping this doesn't happen. Elam showing he was worth his 1st round price tag would be HUGE for this team. Absolutely enormous. But you said "surprise cut", so...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Kaiir Elam.

One of Ja'Marcus Ingram, Ta'Cory Couch, or Keni-H Lovely (how are these real names?) could outplay him.

Or, more likely, a cut from another team takes his roster spot.

I'm hoping this doesn't happen. Elam showing he was worth his 1st round price tag would be HUGE for this team. Absolutely enormous. But you said "surprise cut", so...

For every 100 or more guys this regime has appropriately parted ways with there will always be Wyatt Teller. I fear cutting Elam could be the next version of Teller.  He flashes talent at times.  Hopefully last year was more about the foot injury and he can really push Benford for the starting job. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

David Edwards

Edwards is a really good player. he doesn't make enough to justify cutting him, IMO

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Edwards is a really good player. he doesn't make enough to justify cutting him, IMO

All of these players are good. That's why it would be a surprise.  

I'm fine putting the best five out there.  I never thought Morse lived up to his contract. He was 10-15 guy at best never a top 5 guy even though at one point he was paid top dollar.  So I have no issue with them moving McGovern to C or giving the rookie a shot.  However if Van Pran is good enough to start 3 years in the SEC, he might be a long term answer at C. And if that happens that opens up all kinds of possibilities for the roster. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2