Nyheim Hines is with the Browns

I'm trying to find out what happened with Nyheim Hines after he had that terrible jet ski accident.  All I can find out about Hines is that the Bills released him this spring and he signed soon after that with the Browns.  What do the Browns know that the Bills don't?  Is Hines ready to play football again, and if so why didn't the Bills keep him?

The Bills didn't use Hines much in 2022 except to return kickoffs, and he did very well at that, but with the new kickoff rules maybe a KO returner is just not a high priority.  As for being a running back, maybe the Bills didn't keep him because they felt (like most teams) that running backs are pretty disposable and they didn't want to try to squeeze his veteran's contract under the salary cap.  So maybe this all just comes down to money, and Hines wasn't worth the difference in salary he represented.  

Does anyone have any other news on him?  He seems like a great guy and it's just a shame that he's having to resurrect his career this way.

Just now, Utah John said:

I'm trying to find out what happened with Nyheim Hines after he had that terrible jet ski accident.  All I can find out about Hines is that the Bills released him this spring and he signed soon after that with the Browns.  What do the Browns know that the Bills don't?  Is Hines ready to play football again, and if so why didn't the Bills keep him?

The Bills didn't use Hines much in 2022 except to return kickoffs, and he did very well at that, but with the new kickoff rules maybe a KO returner is just not a high priority.  As for being a running back, maybe the Bills didn't keep him because they felt (like most teams) that running backs are pretty disposable and they didn't want to try to squeeze his veteran's contract under the salary cap.  So maybe this all just comes down to money, and Hines wasn't worth the difference in salary he represented.  

Does anyone have any other news on him?  He seems like a great guy and it's just a shame that he's having to resurrect his career this way.

Hines cost too much money. He was a cap casualty.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Hines cost too much money. He was a cap casualty.

Thanks. That makes sense.  I hope he does well and plays for a few more years.  

Pretty sure he received an injury settlement and was released. Sadly, we don't have room at his salary for a question mark imho. Besides the returns, Im not sure he really ever found a way to gel with our offense either. Good guy, wish him luck but we're not looking back.

Hines' time in Buffalo was frustrating to me.

All this talk of wanting a dynamic receiving back for Josh Allen. Beane goes out and trades for Nyheim Hines, who everyone universally agreed was underused in Indy.

The Bills then proceed to just absolutely not use him whatsoever on offense. Just let him sit on the shelf collecting dust. He actually gets used LESS on offense in Buffalo than he was in Indy. We hear that it's just taking time for him to learn the playbook. Meanwhile, guys like CMC get traded to a new team and are on the field a bunch the very next week.

And all of this happened AFTER the Bills had already spent a 2nd round pick on James Cook in that year's draft to fill that receiving back role.

Obviously, he had the memorable kick return touchdowns game. That was about it for his contributions as a Buffalo Bill, though. Overall, the way Hines' acquisition and time here was handled still seems like a maddening disconnect between GM and coach/OC. 

In any case, what happened thereafter with the Jetski was an awful thing. Hopefully Hines can rebound in Cleveland.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

The 1st (of 2!) KO returns vs Pats on opening kickoff, at home, 6 days after Damar went down, was other-worldly.

I'm not ashamed to say I cried big baby tears. Top 5 all time Bills moment for me.

So fitting it happened against the Pats too! I think all of our players held and not a single flag was thrown.  The 2nd was more impressive.

Couple of explanations:

1) The jet ski accident was actually somehow an ACL tear. He had no shot of playing at any point last year, so the Bills released him on injury settlement.

2) He had a bad experience in Buffalo. They under-used him and the Offensive Coordinator who brought him in is no longer the Offensive Coordinator.

3) His contract with the Browns is $1.1M with a 500K signing bonus and 350K roster bonus. That indicates that they might keep him, but it's not heavily guaranteed.

The guy was awesome. Had the right attitude. Was just under-used and had awful luck.

I don't blame him for hitting the open market and getting the best offer he could get. I'm rooting for him.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Logic said:

All this talk of wanting a dynamic receiving back for Josh Allen. Beane goes out and trades for Nyheim Hines, who everyone universally agreed was underused in Indy.

The Bills then proceed to just absolutely not use him whatsoever on offense. Just let him sit on the shelf collecting dust. He actually gets used LESS on offense in Buffalo than he was in Indy. We hear that it's just taking time for him to learn the playbook. Meanwhile, guys like CMC get traded to a new team and are on the field a bunch the very next week.

And all of this happened AFTER the Bills had already spent a 2nd round pick on James Cook in that year's draft to fill that receiving back role.

Obviously, he had the memorable kick return touchdowns game. That was about it for his contributions as a Buffalo Bill, though. Overall, the way Hines' acquisition and time here was handled still seems like a maddening disconnect between GM and coach/OC. 

In any case, what happened thereafter with the Jetski was an awful thing. Hopefully Hines can rebound in Cleveland.

truly a puzzling spot. 

and we are all here because we like to figure out the why/how hit this one was a real struggle. 

he had the talent to be on the field

are we to believe he couldn’t pick up a few packages a week?

or did the coaching staff believe anything short of the playbook being 100% wide open with him on the field was unacceptable? 

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Couple of explanations:

1) The jet ski accident was actually somehow an ACL tear. He had no shot of playing at any point last year, so the Bills released him on injury settlement.

2) He had a bad experience in Buffalo. They under-used him and the Offensive Coordinator who brought him in is no longer the Offensive Coordinator.

3) His contract with the Browns is $1.1M with a 500K signing bonus and 350K roster bonus. That indicates that they might keep him, but it's not heavily guaranteed.

The guy was awesome. Had the right attitude. Was just under-used and had awful luck.

I don't blame him for hitting the open market and getting the best offer he could get. I'm rooting for him.

but Dorsey is in Cleveland which makes it all the stranger

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

I don't get the question.  The Bills did not decide he cant play football.  They decided he can't play for the Bills on what his contract was so they waived him.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

This is just a long line of disconnect between Beane and the coaches regarding pass catching running backs.  Pretty much from when he started in Buffalo, Beane has been signing guys who are supposed to be receiving options out of the backfield (TJ Yeldon, Matt Breida, Duke Johnson, Nyheim Hines) who the OC then refuses to use.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

26 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

As an aside, We have a jet ski, and I now use the Hines incident as a cautionary tale to family and friends who ride it. 

as I understand it, Hines did nothing wrong. But you always want to stay clear of other reckless jet ski drivers. 

I think everybody aspires to one day become a cautionary tale.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billy Claude said:

This is just a long line of disconnect between Beane and the coaches regarding pass catching running backs.  Pretty much from when he started in Buffalo, Beane has been signing guys who are supposed to be receiving options out of the backfield (TJ Yeldon, Matt Breida, Duke Johnson, Nyheim Hines) who the OC then refuses to use.

So often it’s like Beane has selected players for the scheme he wants, not what the team runs.

5 hours ago, Logic said:

I think our OCs are just not up to par.

I also think that Hines came from Frank Reichs WC system into the Bills EP system.  What I've heard is the terminology is completely different.

Calling a play in the Bills EP system is like understanding chinese for a WC person.

CMC went from one WC system to another which is why he was able to pick up the playbook much sooner.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

I think you’re putting too much stock in Yeldon, Breida and Duke.  There were low cost veterans, slated to be RB3 (at best) at the tail end of their career that did little after their stint in Buffalo.   

As far as Hines, IMO it’s an indictment more on Ken Dorsey more than it is on Brandon Beane.  

Dorsey offenses struggled to get players involved that weren’t named Stefon Diggs and on the rare occasion, Gabe Davis.   Look at how Hines was used in the offense.  They couldn’t get him on the field.  

And it’s not just Hines… Dorsey never figured out how to use 2 TE, could get much production out of the slot WR and couldn’t get James Cook (one of the best receiving backs in his draft class) the ball in the passing game.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1