GOP Political Platform - soft stance on abortion and "entitlement" reform.

Not sure if this deserves its own thread but since Biden's staying in the race this will be the direction the country presumably takes starting next January.  Here's the 20 platform bullet points released by the RNC panel in a 16 page platform released today.  Some of it is a little too hyperbolic/fear mongering for my taste but it beats the alternative imo.

On abortion: (cnbc article)

On abortion, the changes are stark. The old platform took a hard-line stance against abortion, calling for a “human life amendment to the Constitution” in a lengthy passage that used the word “abortion” dozens of times.

The Trump-backed platform uses the word just once, in a brief paragraph that expresses support for allowing states to pass their own abortion laws while vowing to oppose “Late Term Abortion.”

On entitlement reform:

The 2016 and 2020 platforms noted, “Medicare’s long-term debt is in the trillions, and it is funded by a workforce that is shrinking relative to the size of future beneficiaries. ... When a vital program is so clearly headed for a train wreck, it’s time to put it on a more secure track.”

It proposed a handful of reforms, including setting “a more realistic age for eligibility in light of today’s longer life span.”

The new platform erases any discussion about the challenges of keeping the programs solvent.

“Republicans will tackle Inflation, unleash American Energy, restore Economic Growth, and secure our Borders to preserve Social Security and Medicare funding for the next Generation and beyond,” it reads.

“We will ensure these programs remain solvent long into the future by reversing harmful Democrat policies and unleashing a new Economic Boom.”

-----------

Trump helped devise this and he's pry the least ideological and most pragmatic president of my lifetime.  He and his advisors recognize the two areas they'll attack Republicans the hardest with policy wise is claiming Republicans will push to legalize abortion nationally and they'll cut medicare and social security.  Many Republicans pry wish the stance wasn't so soft but it's a smart calculation if you want to win elections this November imo.  Thoughts?

Sounds good to me. Not sure how anyone could be against this. I like how it doesn't say who they are mass deporting. There's at least 3-4 people on this forum that we can add to the list 😉 

• Like (+1) 3

Mass deportations AND lower inflation? That's contradictory. Less workers=higher prices 

How come the tax cut for the rich Trump just promised isn't on the list? 

How come the tax increase for the middle class (tariffs) is not on the list? 

That's a lie that he wants to rebuild cites. Why that lie? No one believes that garbage 

9. End what? What stupid sh it is that? 

Why would anyone trust this clown on abortion? What a joke

Said it before, on the issues, Biden kills Trump. This is why the right looks all great until election day. People wake up and see through the smoke and mirrors 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

lol I’m sorry if you think Trump is a shoe in. 

538 has Biden closing in on Trumps in the odds. The fact that it’s a 51/49 call right now after the debate performance shows how unliked this platform and Trump are.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2024-election-forecast/?cid=rrpromo

They know he is deeply unpopular. I mean, where has he been hiding this week? Trump's handlers are just trying to hide him 

• Eyeroll 1

28 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

They know he is deeply unpopular. I mean, where has he been hiding this week? Trump's handlers are just trying to hide him 

That’s got to be losing him support from his followers Remember when not being seen for a week was such a big deal for them with Hilary?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Biden hid for the entire race in 2020.   

Then got 80 million “votes.”  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Seeing a lot of pro-life folks rescind their support for Trump over this. 

Personally, I think it’s DeSantis/Haley supporters who hold a grudge against Trump and this is their outlet to make waves against him. 

I supported DeSantis and I am absolutely pro-life (with exceptions).

That being said, with Roe overturned, Republicans need to seriously ask themselves if they want to win hearts and minds of Americans on this issue on the ground level or if they want to legislate themselves into extinction. 

Most Americans, politically, believe in access for elective abortions through 15ish weeks and then exceptions after for medical emergencies. 

However, if given the choice between anytime, any reason access or no access, they’ll side with Dems.   Therein lies the issue. 

With what we’ve seen in Europe via migration and the actions taken by Dems during Covid, this election is too important for non-single issue abortion voters to lose because of that issue.  

We got what we wanted.  Roe overturned.  It’s now in the hands of the states and it’s up to pro-lifers to change minds, not legislate this away.  

3 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

That’s got to be losing him support from his followers Remember when not being seen for a week was such a big deal for them with Hilary?

Why on earth would he take the spotlight off Biden and the dems sh*tting all over themselves as they currently are? Give credit where it’s due. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Mass deportations AND lower inflation? That's contradictory. Less workers=higher prices 

They're not workers. They're almost all on social assistance along with displacing Americans such as school children from buildings and facilities converted to migrant shelters. Prioritized for social services by the administration ahead of Americans in need, mostly minorities in major cities. They requires massive amounts of resources and funding. Given things like pre-loaded debit cards. All this is inflationary.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

They're not workers. They're almost all on social assistance along with displacing Americans such as school children from buildings and facilities converted to migrant shelters. Prioritized for social services by the administration ahead of Americans in need, mostly minorities in major cities. They requires massive amounts of resources and funding. Given things like pre-loaded debit cards. All this is inflationary.

Moscow lies. The only chance you have is with massive lies. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Why on earth would he take the spotlight off Biden and the dems sh*tting all over themselves as they currently are? Give credit where it’s due. 

Because as of yesterday 538 is showing it a toss up with Biden gaining ground:

Plus we all remember what a front it was to Democracy when Biden stayed in his “bunker” in 2020 according to the MAGAs here.

• Eyeroll 1

21 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

Because as of yesterday 538 is showing it a toss up with Biden gaining ground:

Plus we all remember what a front it was to Democracy when Biden stayed in his “bunker” in 2020 according to the MAGAs here.

I’m ok with Joe being in the spotlight for a bit. Orange Man will make an appearance soon enough. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Tiberius said:

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Not sure if this deserves its own thread but since Biden's staying in the race this will be the direction the country presumably takes starting next January.  Here's the 20 platform bullet points released by the RNC panel in a 16 page platform released today.  Some of it is a little too hyperbolic/fear mongering for my taste but it beats the alternative imo.

On abortion: (cnbc article)

On abortion, the changes are stark. The old platform took a hard-line stance against abortion, calling for a “human life amendment to the Constitution” in a lengthy passage that used the word “abortion” dozens of times.

The Trump-backed platform uses the word just once, in a brief paragraph that expresses support for allowing states to pass their own abortion laws while vowing to oppose “Late Term Abortion.”

On entitlement reform:

The 2016 and 2020 platforms noted, “Medicare’s long-term debt is in the trillions, and it is funded by a workforce that is shrinking relative to the size of future beneficiaries. ... When a vital program is so clearly headed for a train wreck, it’s time to put it on a more secure track.”

It proposed a handful of reforms, including setting “a more realistic age for eligibility in light of today’s longer life span.”

The new platform erases any discussion about the challenges of keeping the programs solvent.

“Republicans will tackle Inflation, unleash American Energy, restore Economic Growth, and secure our Borders to preserve Social Security and Medicare funding for the next Generation and beyond,” it reads.

“We will ensure these programs remain solvent long into the future by reversing harmful Democrat policies and unleashing a new Economic Boom.”

-----------

Trump helped devise this and he's pry the least ideological and most pragmatic president of my lifetime.  He and his advisors recognize the two areas they'll attack Republicans the hardest with policy wise is claiming Republicans will push to legalize abortion nationally and they'll cut medicare and social security.  Many Republicans pry wish the stance wasn't so soft but it's a smart calculation if you want to win elections this November imo.  Thoughts?

I think you're on point here and agree with your perspective. 

Abortion as viewed by fundamentalists simply does not work in America these days. A separate debate can be had on all that, but the majority of voters seem to believe an option to end a pregnancy should be available somewhere after conception, with different opinions on how long that option should last, and for exceptional circumstances.  

Medicare is a train wreck, at least based on a sustainability standpoint. 

I am not a fan of the mass deportation rhetoric, though I think many Americans struggle with the notion of the significant chaos we have with what amounts to an open border.  I also cannot see a time when 'mass deportation' is even a thing, seeing that both rs and ds in power have participated in creating this clusterf*ck over the past 70 years or so. 

Energy, check.

Independence, check.

Tax cuts, check. 

Freedom(s), check. 

...and so on.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Roundybout said:

!

Funny coming from the party that's talking about replacing the voted in candidate, by a bunch of unelected delegates.

Lmao. 

Btw.  What was that thirty in thirty Biden ran on.  30 executive orders to override the previous administration?  Ended up being close to 100.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/9/2024 at 2:43 PM, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I think you're on point here and agree with your perspective. 

Abortion as viewed by fundamentalists simply does not work in America these days. A separate debate can be had on all that, but the majority of voters seem to believe an option to end a pregnancy should be available somewhere after conception, with different opinions on how long that option should last, and for exceptional circumstances.  

Medicare is a train wreck, at least based on a sustainability standpoint. 

I am not a fan of the mass deportation rhetoric, though I think many Americans struggle with the notion of the significant chaos we have with what amounts to an open border.  I also cannot see a time when 'mass deportation' is even a thing, seeing that both rs and ds in power have participated in creating this clusterf*ck over the past 70 years or so. 

Energy, check.

Independence, check.

Tax cuts, check. 

Freedom(s), check. 

...and so on.  

Nothing on health care and child care costs either and barely mentioned in the 16 page platform.  Two other areas that could swing Independents to Democrats.