Who was your all-time favorite player that was NOT on the Bills?

3 hours ago, US Egg said:

Who paid? 🫠

He did. I was managing a ski retail/rental shop in Whistler BC back in the early 2000’s. It was located in the Westin hotel and his family was a VIP guest. I went to meet them to size them up for gear. The GM of the hotel didn’t tell me who it was until I walked into the restaurant and there they were. I was invited to sit down with them. Montana’s family is the prototypical “California family” from TV.  All good looking blonde kids. All very well mannered and relaxed.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

He did. I was managing a ski retail/rental shop in Whistler BC back in the early 2000’s. It was located in the Westin hotel and his family was a VIP guest. I went to meet them to size them up for gear. The GM of the hotel didn’t tell me who it was until I walked into the restaurant and there they were. I was invited to sit down with them. Montana’s family is the prototypical “California family” from TV.  All good looking blonde kids. All very well mannered and relaxed.

Great story. Great area to work too, I would think. Were you in Whistler for the Olympics?

Ronnie Lott

Drew Pearson

Roger Staubach

Charlie Joiner

Lester Hayes

Dave Casper 

Kenny Stabler

Walter Payton

Those guys all played when I was a kid.  As an adult I basically just root for the Bills.  But some of the players that have been great to watch…

Jerry Rice

Peyton Manning 

Marvin Harrison

Bill Romanowski

Christian Mccaffery

Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Not counting his Bills years. It was more fun to watch him play when he wasn’t on the Bills.

On 7/8/2024 at 12:45 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't know about everyone else, but while I am a diehard Bills fan first and foremost, I am also a major football fan (and junkie) overall.  Especially since I have been playing Fantasy Football since I was in middle-school in the 80's where you had to get Monday's and Tuesday's papers to track the scoring and see who won.  So, I have enjoyed watching a lot of great players play over the years and had some favorites along the way while also being a die hard Bills fan.

I had a lot of players I was just a fan of over the years overall...some were amongst the greatest to play, others were just good players I liked for other reasons.

My absolute favorite player to ever watch play a game is now Josh Allen.  But before Josh Allen, it was without a doubt Barry Sanders. Just like with Allen, I knew on any given play I could see something that no one else in the world or NFL history could do.  Barry was the most fun I ever had watching a player play up until Josh Allen came along.  

An example of a good player I liked for other reasons was Napolean Kaufman.  I was a big fan of the Washington Huskies in college, and became a fan of his and was just mesmerized by his combo and sheer strength for his size.  When he was on the Raiders, he was out benching everyone on the team despite his small size.  I hated the Raiders, and still do, but I always rooted for him.  I will never forget when he stayed into block against the Cowboys and literally picked up one of their best defensive lineman and flipped him over his head and then later laid out Charles Haley on another block.  This was to go with his big game as a RB that game too.  He was a lot of fun to watch play too.

I think my favorite defensive player to ever watch play that wasn't on the Bills was Ronnie Lott.  My dad was a die hard Niners fan, and back then there was not NFL Sunday Ticket, so living an hour from SF we never missed a Niners game.  I can think of so many crazy memories of him and plays he made as an enforcer out there when they still let these guys play, but I think the most memorable moment was when he amputated part of his finger after hurting it in the final game of the season so he wouldn't miss the playoffs.  That was wild then and maybe even more wild now to think about lol.

I would have to say sweetness...Walter Payton.  He was such an upbeat guy and had a legendary workout regimen. I met him at an autograph signing in Chicago.  He was having so much fun with the fans that his people kept telling him to move the line along.  He was even arm wrestling with one of the guys in line.

Just a great person and an amazing football talent.

Edited by longtimebillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

• BuffaloBill changed the title to Who was your all-time favorite player that was NOT on the Bills?
9 hours ago, US Egg said:

Great story. Great area to work too, I would think. Were you in Whistler for the Olympics?

I wasn’t unfortunately. I left there in 2006. It’s a bit of a Neverland. A lot of people don’t grow up when they live there and in order to evolve it was time to leave. Great memories were made and I go back and visit multiple times a year.

Edited by MiltonWaddams
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Sweetness.

The best all around RB in the history of the game (rushing, receiving, blocking, throwing, heart).

The only do-it-all RB in the history of the game better than Thurman.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

21 hours ago, Reks Ryan said:

Ronnie Lott

Drew Pearson

Roger Staubach

Charlie Joiner

Lester Hayes

Dave Casper 

Kenny Stabler

Walter Payton

Those guys all played when I was a kid.  As an adult I basically just root for the Bills.  But some of the players that have been great to watch…

Jerry Rice

Peyton Manning 

Marvin Harrison

Bill Romanowski

Christian Mccaffery

Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Not counting his Bills years. It was more fun to watch him play when he wasn’t on the Bills.

As an out of market Bills fan, the Raiders have always been my second team. Appreciate the call out for Lester Hayes, he was a fave. Was at a concert a month ago and a guy was wearing a Hayes jersey. On the other hand, I hated Romanowski, even as a Raider. D-bag.  

Some other players that I loved watching: Earl Campbell, Bo Jackson, Hines Ward, Troy Polamalu, Ed Reed, Charlie Garner (as a Raider).

Kellen Winslow deserves a mention for a great career and arguably the greatest game ever by a TE. And  I'd rank Lawrence Taylor as the greatest defensive player I ever watched - but I wouldn't call him a favorite.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Anyone who played since colour tv was invented? ;)

LOL sure!

1) Jaylen Waddle

2) Derrick Henry

3) Davonta Smith

Could you even begin to imagine what Josh would be capable of doing with Waddle or Smith? 

22 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

LOL sure!

1) Jaylen Waddle

2) Derrick Henry

3) Davonta Smith

Could you even begin to imagine what Josh would be capable of doing with Waddle or Smith? 

Waddle would be amazing in this O. If he had made it to FA I'd have been willing to throw serious money at him. Smith is an upgrade on what we have but I don't think he would be transformational in the same way. 

Billy Sims, RB, Detroit Lions.  1980-1984

Sad, as due to injuries, only played 5 years but had 5100 rushing yards and 47 TDs in that time - in just 52 starts. 

Had 1900 total yds as Rookie and was offensive ROY in 1980.  Was All Pro in both rookie and year 2 as he scored 31 TDs in 30 games played those 2 years.  Great receiver too. 

A Gayle Sayers like great but shortened career 

• Like (+1) 2