Who was your all-time favorite player that was NOT on the Bills?

12 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Fred Biletnikoff (sp?) Of the Raiders

Roger Wehrli of the Cardinals.

11 hours ago, DCofNC said:

From a real fan of the man and from his play, Larry Fitzgerald comes to mind. 

The best line of the NFL draft broadcast that year was iirc Merril Hoge describing Fitzgerald as "the kind of guy you'd want your wife to marry."

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Players to watch - Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders, Randy Moss, and Michael Vick.

Players I respected the most - Jerry Rice, Larry Fitzgerald, and Matt Stafford.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Fred Biletnikoff (sp?) Of the Raiders

Ditto. Had his poster on my bedroom wall growing up. Used “stick’em” to keep it up there! 🤪

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DrBob806 said:

Eric Metcalf. Why he isn't in the HOF is a mystery.

As a former Browns fan, I remember him well and loved to watch him play.  Sort of like CJ Spiller, if given space he was a dynamic scatback - though his stats don't jump off the page.  He was an excellent receiver out of the backfield.  And an exciting return man who held the NFL record for kick return yards for a while.  

Never attained 1,000 yards in a season as a RB but did as both a KR and receiver.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Brett Favre. Specifically early/mid 90s Packers era.

Honorable mention to riding the Terrell Davis wave during his peak 3 years or so. Was such a force from as soon as he entered the NFL to that 2k season.

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Gregg said:

Warren Moon. He was a very good QB. It was fun watching those Oilers teams from the early 90's and not just "The Comeback" but even when they played other teams.

Moon had an arm!  Threw for 500+ yards once running Houston's Run-and-Shoot offense.   

Undrafted out of UW but his pro career earned him recognition in both the CFL and NFL HOF.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/8/2024 at 2:45 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't know about everyone else, but while I am a diehard Bills fan first and foremost, I am also a major football fan (and junkie) overall.  Especially since I have been playing Fantasy Football since I was in middle-school in the 80's where you had to get Monday's and Tuesday's papers to track the scoring and see who won.  So, I have enjoyed watching a lot of great players play over the years and had some favorites along the way while also being a die hard Bills fan.

I had a lot of players I was just a fan of over the years overall...some were amongst the greatest to play, others were just good players I liked for other reasons.

My absolute favorite player to ever watch play a game is now Josh Allen.  But before Josh Allen, it was without a doubt Barry Sanders. Just like with Allen, I knew on any given play I could see something that no one else in the world or NFL history could do.  Barry was the most fun I ever had watching a player play up until Josh Allen came along.  

An example of a good player I liked for other reasons was Napolean Kaufman.  I was a big fan of the Washington Huskies in college, and became a fan of his and was just mesmerized by his combo and sheer strength for his size.  When he was on the Raiders, he was out benching everyone on the team despite his small size.  I hated the Raiders, and still do, but I always rooted for him.  I will never forget when he stayed into block against the Cowboys and literally picked up one of their best defensive lineman and flipped him over his head and then later laid out Charles Haley on another block.  This was to go with his big game as a RB that game too.  He was a lot of fun to watch play too.

I think my favorite defensive player to ever watch play that wasn't on the Bills was Ronnie Lott.  My dad was a die hard Niners fan, and back then there was not NFL Sunday Ticket, so living an hour from SF we never missed a Niners game.  I can think of so many crazy memories of him and plays he made as an enforcer out there when they still let these guys play, but I think the most memorable moment was when he amputated part of his finger after hurting it in the final game of the season so he wouldn't miss the playoffs.  That was wild then and maybe even more wild now to think about lol.

Barry Sanders is who I remember as a youngin who got me hooked to football. Thank you, Barry!

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Sweetness #34

He was the first player in the league I really followed closely. What a warrior and artist on the field! Then this TD happened at one of my 1st attended Bills games (@15:56) >>>

I was quite sad as an 8 year old boy, but I knew when I still loved the guy in spite of the loss he delivered to us, he'd be one of my all time favorites :)

Edited by 34-78-83
  • Like (+1) 1

Always was a big Joe Montana fan. You always knew the 49ers had a chance with the ball in his hands. Loved the way he would deflate the Cowboys all the time. I’m not sure, but I think it was in his second season there was a game against Dallas and the Niners previously were not very good. Dallas was a pretty heavy favorite and by like the end of the first quarter San Fran was up like 24 - 0. It was at that time everyone knew the 49ers were on their way.

Wow, where to start?

In no particular order and to limit to just a few, it's gotta be Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Bo Jackson.......but i could go for days with this list.

Posted (edited)

I've got to be honest, I've never really liked many players who weren't Bills.  As far as guys that felt like "must watch" entertainment to me: Barry Sanders, LT, Bo, peak Randall Cunningham, Neon Deon, Randy Moss, early Jevon Kearse, Faulk, Jerry Rice, Favre, peak-Gronk. 

One guy I always admired was Troy Brown. Got a lot out of his abilities. 

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 1