Who was your all-time favorite player that was NOT on the Bills?

I don't know about everyone else, but while I am a diehard Bills fan first and foremost, I am also a major football fan (and junkie) overall.  Especially since I have been playing Fantasy Football since I was in middle-school in the 80's where you had to get Monday's and Tuesday's papers to track the scoring and see who won.  So, I have enjoyed watching a lot of great players play over the years and had some favorites along the way while also being a die hard Bills fan.

I had a lot of players I was just a fan of over the years overall...some were amongst the greatest to play, others were just good players I liked for other reasons.

My absolute favorite player to ever watch play a game is now Josh Allen.  But before Josh Allen, it was without a doubt Barry Sanders. Just like with Allen, I knew on any given play I could see something that no one else in the world or NFL history could do.  Barry was the most fun I ever had watching a player play up until Josh Allen came along.  

An example of a good player I liked for other reasons was Napolean Kaufman.  I was a big fan of the Washington Huskies in college, and became a fan of his and was just mesmerized by his combo and sheer strength for his size.  When he was on the Raiders, he was out benching everyone on the team despite his small size.  I hated the Raiders, and still do, but I always rooted for him.  I will never forget when he stayed into block against the Cowboys and literally picked up one of their best defensive lineman and flipped him over his head and then later laid out Charles Haley on another block.  This was to go with his big game as a RB that game too.  He was a lot of fun to watch play too.

I think my favorite defensive player to ever watch play that wasn't on the Bills was Ronnie Lott.  My dad was a die hard Niners fan, and back then there was not NFL Sunday Ticket, so living an hour from SF we never missed a Niners game.  I can think of so many crazy memories of him and plays he made as an enforcer out there when they still let these guys play, but I think the most memorable moment was when he amputated part of his finger after hurting it in the final game of the season so he wouldn't miss the playoffs.  That was wild then and maybe even more wild now to think about lol.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Marshall Faulk for me. I always thought he was the best RB ever. Not a popular opinion, but watch his highlight reel. He didn't just juke and jive to get out of tackles, he made guys miss by five yards. HIs vision and ability to follow it to open space were unreal. And he was also one of the best WR on his team. 

• Like (+1) 4

For me growing up in Buffalo in the 50’s and early 60’s it was Jim Brown. The Cleveland Browns games were on pretty much every Sunday and watching that guy run the football was just amazing. What a tremendous athlete! After every play he would get up so slowly and almost limp back to the huddle, but then on the very next play would come charging at the opposing defense like a runaway locomotive. They say that was his deliberate strategy because he never wanted the defense to know if they really got him on the play.

The guy was just a joy to watch.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

For me, as a kid, it was Randall Cunningham. He was different in that era of QB's. To see a guy with his athletic ability that could throw one of the most perfect spirals, it was really something. Then I was really hype for him when the Vikings went 15-1 in 1998. They should have gone to the SB that year, but they choked against Atlanta. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Gotta be Peyton Manning. 

During the Drought Era I was always desperate for competent football by midseason and into the playoffs, so I’d watch the Colts/Broncos to get my fix and at his peak he was definitely something else.