Allen's Playoff Stats vs Burrow & Jackson Combined - Not "Inflated..."

9 hours ago, MJS said:

That's one of the indicators that he is indeed an elite QB. He brings his best game in the playoffs, when it matters most.

Sadly he's the only one among both players or coaches that does so here.  

What could have been these past four years had that not been the case. 

10 hours ago, BigDingus said:

So I recently got a bit irritated after hearing a segment that mentioned Allen's playoff stats being "inflated" due to the Pats game... as if that's the reason his stats look so good overall.

They were also talking about Burrow & Lamar, but they seem to always get the benefit of the doubt due to Lamar's 2 x MVPs & Burrow's SB appearance & beating the Chiefs. So I decided I'd comb through all their stats & see how "inflated" Allen's stats truly are.

Allen (Without Pats Game) - 9 Games:

- 63.2 % Comp. / 2,912 TOT YDS / 323.5 TOT YPG / 22 TDs / 4 INTs / 95.5 RTG / 61.5 QBR

Burrow - 7 Games:

- 67.3% Comp. / 1,927 TOT YDS / 275.3 TOT YPG / 9 TDs / 4 INTs / 93.8 RTG / 52.6 QBR

Jackson - 6 Games:

- 57.4% Comp. / 1,845 TOT YDS / 307.5 TOT YPG / 9 TDS / 6 INTs / 75.7 RTG / 50.6 QBR

*** Burrow has a higher completion percentage, and that's it. Jackson comes in dead last in every category.***

Ok,  now a hater might say "well Josh played 2 more games than Burrow & 3 more than Lamar!" so in that case, I'll combine the 2 and do their average over 13 games, AND I'll do another where I just cherry pick each player's BEST avg stat for each category:

Burrow + Jackson (Combined Totals & Averages) - 13 Games:

- 62.4% Comp. / 3,772 TOT YDS / 290.2 TOT YPG / 18 Total TDs / 10 Total INTs / 84.8 RTG / 51.6 RTG

***In 4 more games, they average less YPG, have less TDs & more than double the INTs***

Burrow + Jackson (Cherry Picked BEST Averages):

- 67.3% Comp. / 307.5 TOT YPG / 1.5 TDs Per Game / 0.6 INTs Per Game / 93.8 RTG / 52.6 QBR

Allen's Averages for same stats (Without Pats Game):

- 63.2% Comp. / 323.5 TOT YPG / 2.4 TDs Per Game / 0.4 INTs Per Game / 95.5 RTG / 61.5 QBR

*** Even when cherry-picking the best stats of both Lamar & Burrow OR using their combined numbers, Josh has more total TDs, more TDs per game, more YPG, less INTs per game, a higher passer rating and a higher QBR!***

In conclusion, it's clear as day that no matter how you break it down, Allen has played SIGNIFICANTLY better than Jackson & Burrow. Again, this is WITHOUT the Pats game to "inflate" his numbers. That's 5 x TDs, 350+ total yards, a 130 passer rating & 98.8 QBR not accounted for, yet he still out performs Burrow & Jackson's individual and combined totals & averages.

The END!

Send this to those who determine the league MVP awards…, 

10 hours ago, SCBills said:

Burrow is bizarro Josh Allen

Hasn’t been impressive in the playoffs but everyone thinks he is because of his team/coaches carrying him to the Super Bowl. 

Josh Allen has been a playoff monster who casuals don’t view as such due to being let down, constantly, by the team/coaches around him. 

Lamar shouldn’t even factor into any postseason discussion.  The man has played one good half. 

That year cinci almost won the Super Bowl, burrow was super average.

His defence bailed him out basically every game, and if Josh played like him with the bills defence, they would have gotten blown out in all those games 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, BigDingus said:

So I recently got a bit irritated after hearing a segment that mentioned Allen's playoff stats being "inflated" due to the Pats game... as if that's the reason his stats look so good overall.

They were also talking about Burrow & Lamar, but they seem to always get the benefit of the doubt due to Lamar's 2 x MVPs & Burrow's SB appearance & beating the Chiefs. So I decided I'd comb through all their stats & see how "inflated" Allen's stats truly are.

- 63.2 % Comp. / 2,912 TOT YDS / 323.5 TOT YPG / 22 TDs / 4 INTs / 95.5 RTG / 61.5 QBR

Burrow - 7 Games:

- 67.3% Comp. / 1,927 TOT YDS / 275.3 TOT YPG / 9 TDs / 4 INTs / 93.8 RTG / 52.6 QBR

Jackson - 6 Games:

- 57.4% Comp. / 1,845 TOT YDS / 307.5 TOT YPG / 9 TDS / 6 INTs / 75.7 RTG / 50.6 QBR

*** Burrow has a higher completion percentage, and that's it. Jackson comes in dead last in every category.***

Ok,  now a hater might say "well Josh played 2 more games than Burrow & 3 more than Lamar!" so in that case, I'll combine the 2 and do their average over 13 games, AND I'll do another where I just cherry pick each player's BEST avg stat for each category:

- 62.4% Comp. / 3,772 TOT YDS / 290.2 TOT YPG / 18 Total TDs / 10 Total INTs / 84.8 RTG / 51.6 RTG

***In 4 more games, they average less YPG, have less TDs & more than double the INTs***

- 67.3% Comp. / 307.5 TOT YPG / 1.5 TDs Per Game / 0.6 INTs Per Game / 93.8 RTG / 52.6 QBR

- 63.2% Comp. / 323.5 TOT YPG / 2.4 TDs Per Game / 0.4 INTs Per Game / 95.5 RTG / 61.5 QBR

*** Even when cherry-picking the best stats of both Lamar & Burrow OR using their combined numbers, Josh has more total TDs, more TDs per game, more YPG, less INTs per game, a higher passer rating and a higher QBR!***

In conclusion, it's clear as day that no matter how you break it down, Allen has played SIGNIFICANTLY better than Jackson & Burrow. Again, this is WITHOUT the Pats game to "inflate" his numbers. That's 5 x TDs, 350+ total yards, a 130 passer rating & 98.8 QBR not accounted for, yet he still out performs Burrow & Jackson's individual and combined totals & averages.

The END!

The thing for me is that at times for Allen it comes so easy that he almost gets "bored" during the regular season and sometimes tries to do a little too much.  In the playoffs he is laser focused and dialed in all the time and basically is one of the best playoff QB's in NFL history.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 4

Burrow - 7 Games:

Jackson - 6 Games:

The END!

Nice job but to be fair if you're going to take out Allen's NE game then you have to take out Burrow & Jackson best game in the playoffs. I suspect that if you do the gap between Allen the other two only widens.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Nice job but to be fair if you're going to take out Allen's NE game then you have to take out Burrow & Jackson best game in the playoffs. I suspect that if you do the gap between Allen the other two only widens.

Obviously...Allen's best game rivals the best in NFL history...the other 2 don't even come close to that.

• Like (+1) 1

Burrow - 7 Games:

Jackson - 6 Games:

The END!

Thanks for the post, and for assembling the stats. You did what the lazy ESPN or NFL NETWORK or whatever "reporter" failed to do. Get a clear unbiased look at ALL the  numbers. That's what is wrong with most "reporting" these days. Start with an assumption, then cook the numbers to back it up.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Sadly he's the only one among both players or coaches that does so here.  

What could have been these past four years had that not been the case. 

C'mon man...give me a break.

• Haha (+1) 1

First of all you don't delete his NE game. He was absolutely on fire against a top 10 defense. Nothing inflated at all about that game. Lamar is a paper tiger. His playoff performances are flat out embarrassing yet the league fawns over him like some great player. Burrow can't stay healthy long enough to argue anything in any direction. It's almost moot with him.

That leaves 2 great qbs in the NFL....

Mahomes

Allen

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

The bottom line is in the postseason Allen has played at a level that no QB has ever reached in the NE wildcard game, against arguably the greatest defensive mind of all time.

Allen’s level of play that night was so ridiculous, Bellichick was compelled to enter the Bills locker room after the game, seek out Allen at his stall and shake his hand, a virtually unheard of gesture.

In the playoffs…

Mahomes is Mahomes

Burrow has been good

Lamar has been bad

Allens 9 TDs 0 TOs and his play over those two playoff games in 2021 are unmatched by any QB ever.

Edited by julian
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I don't agree with this....the year they went to the SB, he made some money plays to get past the Chiefs at critical moments.  It is also true Josh Allen's playoff performance is superior to Burrow overall.  Burrow has been very good in the post season.  Plus when they went head to head he outperformed Allen in that one game.   Burrow has been to the playoffs twice, once he made it to the SB and once tot he championship game.  Allen has made it 5 times and only made one championship game.  Now you can consider the team aspect of all of that but the reality is QB's are judged on team performance, especially in the playoffs.

It also really helped that the Chiefs decided to get on the buses and go home early at the half.

• Disagree 1

15 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Burrow - 7 Games:

Jackson - 6 Games:

The END!

Awesome!

How did you calculate QBR? I think it's a proprietary formula for ESPN and I don't think it's as simple as averaging the games, much like Passer Rating.

15 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I mean he outperforms everybody in the playoffs

And if you're taking out Allen's game vs pats you should take out burrows game vs us😂😂

Heck it's not as drastic but do the same for Mahomes.

In 3 playoff games Mahomes has played against Buffalo he is 79/115 (68.7%) for 1112 yards (370.6 YPG) with 9 TDs and ZERO turnovers

Throw Burrow's numbers in there from 2022 and it's pretty obvious why we've lost in the playoffs 4 straight years.

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Yeah they lost their juice at halftime of that game for sure.

Too bad Cincy couldn’t cash in a championship with that gift. Good luck getting out of that division this season with Balt and Clev being better. 

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Then there was the football stuff...that roster was not built to play in bad weather outside of Josh Allen.  It is also one of the reasons Beane has made some of the peronnel decisions this year that he did, he flat out stated he wanted to get tougher, wanted guys who had an edge to them.   He knows this team was too soft at times in the playoffs. 

And in a bad weather game where passing is always going to be tougher, we didn't have a mauling OL or run game and we had a first time OC who was way over his head and grossly out coached and who would be fired 10 games later.  That team got trounced in the trenches on both sides of the ball and no one on that offense was doing anything to help Allen either.  

Not making excuses for Allen, he gets his share of the blame too, but more stating that was a team wide crap fest, coaches included.  The Bengals DL dominated our OL that game, and anytime you do that, the offense is usually not going to perform well.  

This is a bit off-topic from the thread, but you bring up a really good point Alphadawg. We have been a very good team...but more of what we used to call a "finesse" team. Very skilled players, but we weren't very big across the roster, we didn't have a strong/bruising run game (outside of Allen), our defense was always excellent stat-wise but they never put fear into anyone (really hard-hitting, etc.), etc. 

We got manhandled by KC in the championship game in 2020 and the Bengals (regardless of all the surrounding circumstances which of course played a huge part) bullied us a bit despite Buffalo probably being the more talented team overall. I think we have had an issue with teams that get physical, especially in bad weather that affected the passing game. Think of the New England wind game. We were such a better team than they were, but when the wind took away our passing game, they out-physicaled us.

I see this "transition" year, not as a "rebuilding" year, but as a true transitioning year---we are transitioning from one style of team to another. I think the Bills will look a good bit different from what we have seen the past handful of years. The offense will have a stronger run-focus, more long, sustained drives rather than trying to get lots of chunk plays (though with Josh Allen, those will still be there). Bigger, stronger WRs. Davis brings a toughness to the backfield. As for defense, IF Miller gets back to form, that could help. And as good as Poyer and Hyde were, you worried about trying to beat them, not getting your head taken off by them. Rapp is a bit reckless, but man will he throw his body at folks, and Bishop is a pretty hard-hitter. Maybe that helps too.

Of course, getting tougher is partly personnel and partly coaching. Can McDermott, Babich, and Brady bring out the dog in this team? I sure hope so.

As to the topic at hand, all these talking heads need to ask themselves is if their team needed a playoff win, which QB are you actually picking to start?

playoff game averages:

Josh: 65% completion, 328.6 yards, 2.5 TDs, 0.4 INTs

Joe: 67.3% completion, 275.3 yards, 1.43 TDs, 0.57 INTs

Lamar: 57.44% completion, 307.5 yards, 1.5 TDs, 1 INTs

In 7 of his 10 playoff games, Allen had 3 or more TDs

In 7 of his 10 playoff games, Josh didn't throw an interception 

Heck, in Josh's 5 playoff losses, he averaged 335.2 yards/game, 2.2 TDs, and 0.4 INTs. Hard even to use his losses as an argument that he isn't good or has been better than Lamar and Burrow in the playoffs.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1