SI Underrated player: Khalil Shakir, wide receiver

17 hours ago, Snowbowl said:

He’s making progress every year. Now that there’s a bunch of supporting cast to spread the ball to teams can’t game plan for anyone like they could for Diggs. Looking forward to our offense this year!

Exactly this, which receiver is going to be doubled? the defense especially during the beginning of the season will have no clue as to who is being favored as the receiver on a given play, the advantage is with the offense, if Brady can scheme effectively and Josh spreads the ball around we will maintain that advantage, imo it’s going to be a very exciting season, 👍

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I’d hope we’re expecting him to be a better version of what he was last half of the season .. which is a very good player, but not someone we’re expecting to be a WR1. 

He’ll, if Shakir gets targets all this upcoming season at a similar or a bit higher rate as he did the second half of last season he is likely to put up a thousand yards on the season, iirc he had six hundred sixty yards last season and basically wasn’t targeted for the first six or seven games, 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, SCBills said:

I’d hope we’re expecting him to be a better version of what he was last half of the season .. which is a very good player, but not someone we’re expecting to be a WR1. 

Agreed.  Up to the midpoint of last season, I viewed Shakir as a jag.  Nothing special.  Borderline starter.   Now I'm reassessing.  He looked like a good starter during the second half of the season.

Then again, I thought Gabe was a jag until that monster game against the Chiefs in the playoffs.  I reassessed after that performance and shouldn't have.  

But Gabe outproduced Diggs in individual games here and there.  Shakir, on the other hand, outproduced Diggs for a huge continuous chunk of the season so I'm hopeful he can continue his upwards trajectory.  

Last 10 Bills games:

Receiving yards: Khalil Shakir (462) Stefon Diggs (422)

Targets: Shakir (37) Diggs (80)

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

23 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

Every AFC Team’s Most Underrated Player Heading Into 2024

Conor Orr | Jul 2, 2024

https://www.si.com/nfl/afc-most-underrated-players-2024

I agree with Orr on this looking at each of the catches he made in 2022 - it is clear that Eric Moulds, his off season coach, has taught him to  be a NFL professional to be available to QB and make most with throws he got.

A whole lot will depend upon the offensive scheming and therefore Brady and what McD expects from Brady.  

Shakir has the ability with Allen to be among the top-10 WRs.  

Whether it happens or not is another story.  

5 hours ago, Pete said:

Bills fantasy draft will be tough.

Samuel or Shakir?  Or Dalton?

Curtis has been shooting in draft boards, and is in top 50 most drafts 

I'd draft Kincaid before the other two simply because of so few good scoring FF TE's.

FF'ers are thinking Samuel should have his best season of his career. Draftwise Coleman will have more appeal than Shakir.       

15 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Of course that is where Kincaid and Samuel and Coleman and MVS (and others) would ideally come into play...

Yeah those "others" probably won't matter unless you have injuries.    

The Bills have traditionally just used 3 receivers mostly and when Brady was at Carolina he did the same.

But additionally,   with Kincaid and Knox,  I suspect the Bills will run a lot of 12........which means just 2 receiver sets 30%-40% of the time.

The top 3 receivers will get all the other snaps they have available unless there are injuries or the top 3 receivers suck.

I think a lot of fans have this fantasy that they are going to be regularly substituting and that every receiver will get 20 snaps and a couple targets every game and that will somehow stress the defense.

Not realistic.

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/6/2024 at 11:36 AM, Punching Bag said:

Conor Orr | Jul 2, 2024

I agree with Orr on this looking at each of the catches he made in 2022 - it is clear that Eric Moulds, his off season coach, has taught him to  be a NFL professional to be available to QB and make most with throws he got.

I remember when people completely went bonkers and kept slamming Shakir when I made similar Kupp comparisons when he was a rookie, and again last year, which is not really a surprise since Shakir has since come out and literally stated he studies Kupp and tries to pattern some of his game off his.  

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I remember when people completely went bonkers and kept slamming Shakir when I made similar Kupp comparisons when he was a rookie, and again last year, which is not really a surprise since Shakir has since come out and literally stated he studies Kupp and tries to pattern some of his game off his.  

I try to ignore people who completely went bonkers because they are bonkers.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 7/6/2024 at 11:57 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

Will it upscale with more opportunities and as defense's adjust to his tape and pay greater attention to him?

That's the question.

It often does not.

You still can't help but place seeds of doubt around Shakir.  Feels like you just can't let go of your initial negative opinion of him that got proven wrong last year and it's like you still want to stick to that negative opinion in the back of your mind rather than embrace his breakout. 

I think you will have more fun if you start just embracing the kids upside, his catches last year were pretty impressive.  This offseason I have seen a number of current and past NFL Head Coaches and GM's as well as other ex-players turned sports analysts talk about the Bills this year, and every single one of them talked up Shakir too.  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

13 hours ago, Pete said:

Bills fantasy draft will be tough.

Samuel or Shakir?  Or Dalton?

Curtis has been shooting in draft boards, and is in top 50 most drafts 

You could throw Coleman in there too. Literally 4 different guys who could end up leading the team in receiving. Pretty crazy 

On 7/6/2024 at 2:36 PM, Punching Bag said:

Conor Orr | Jul 2, 2024

Real fans know. To the casuals, Shakir is just a 5th rounder who made a few clutch catches in the playoffs and had a modest regular season. Reminds me a lot of Stevie Johnson who apparently came out of nowhere, but the die hard fans saw his potential from

a mile away. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You still can't help but place seeds of doubt around Shakir.  Feels like you just can't let go of your initial negative opinion of him that got proven wrong last year and it's like you still want to stick to that negative opinion in the back of your mind rather than embrace his breakout. 

I think you will have more fun if you start just embracing the kids upside, his catches last year were pretty impressive.  This offseason I have seen a number of current and past NFL Head Coaches and GM's as well as other ex-players turned sports analysts talk about the Bills this year, and every single one of them talked up Shakir too.  

No, it's literally the fact that so often times these brief runs of high production don't translate.  

What is even more surprising than your not knowing the Chiefs had a great offense in 2020 is that you don't even know the Bills recent track record with these stories:

Robert Foster

Gabriel Davis

Deonte Harris

Trent Sherfield

The only WR the Bills have acquired in trade, free agency or the draft who has had a massive jump in production is Stef Diggs..........who was already a star and cost a kings ransom to acquire in trade.

Beasley had a season where he produced 135 more yards than his best Cowboys season.

Nobody has joined these Bills and just blown the doors off of any past bulk production despite the opportunity.

It never happened for Foster and Davis despite huge promise based on small sample sizes as lesser knowns in lower roles like Shakir.  

Harris aka Harty and Sheffield crashed back to career norms upon joining the Bills despite convincing stories of promise from the overly optimistic. 

If Shakir's numbers scale up he will be well over 1,000 yards.    That will be the first jump of it's kind they've experienced.

As far as me having fun...........that's never an issue.   I always have fun with the Bills.    It's just entertainment to me but maybe that's why I don't have to have smoke blown up my a$$ to enjoy the game.   I can keep it real because it's in perspective. :beer:

But the minor life issues you are complaining about lead me to believe that life gets challenging and perhaps un-fun for you very easily.   Your near 50 years of self-indulgence is over but it's not an excuse not to have obvious data right, Alpha. ;)    Nobody wants to hear about dad's labor pains. :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Alpha, I personally didn't go bonkers.  In fact, I didn't publicly say a thing.  But I did silently think you were a bonkers homer optimist who saw an upside that wasn't there.

Maybe it's too early for a mea culpa but I'm cautiously hopeful that you were right all along.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No, it's literally the fact that so often times these brief runs of high production don't translate.  

What is even more surprising than your not knowing the Chiefs had a great offense in 2020 is that you don't even know the Bills recent track record with these stories:

Robert Foster

Gabriel Davis

Deonte Harris

Trent Sherfield

The only WR the Bills have acquired in trade, free agency or the draft who has had a massive jump in production is Stef Diggs..........who was already a star and cost a kings ransom to acquire in trade.

Beasley had a season where he produced 135 more yards than his best Cowboys season.

Nobody has joined these Bills and just blown the doors off of any past bulk production despite the opportunity.

It never happened for Foster and Davis despite huge promise based on small sample sizes as lesser knowns in lower roles like Shakir.  

Harris aka Harty and Sheffield crashed back to career norms upon joining the Bills despite convincing stories of promise from the overly optimistic. 

If Shakir's numbers scale up he will be well over 1,000 yards.    That will be the first jump of it's kind they've experienced.

As far as me having fun...........that's never an issue.   I always have fun with the Bills.    It's just entertainment to me but maybe that's why I don't have to have smoke blown up my a$$ to enjoy the game.   I can keep it real because it's in perspective. :beer:

But the minor life issues you are complaining about lead me to believe that life gets challenging and perhaps un-fun for you very easily.   Your near 50 years of self-indulgence is over but it's not an excuse not to have obvious data right, Alpha. ;)    Nobody wants to hear about dad's labor pains. :lol:

Funny, when I logged in, I had several private DM's and assumed it was about the QOD thread.  But no, there were all about you and your reply here and how out of line you get and how the mods don't do enough...even funnier is I had not even read your reply yet lol.

Then I read your reply...and it just made me laugh.  I mean you are the same one who foolishly argued last offseason and even during the season that Shakir "can't catch".  You aren't as smart as you think are, and that is fine, that's honestly probably true about most people lol.

But I do find it funny how you go out of your way to turn into a disrespectful petulant child when facing something you were wrong about or someone making a point you don't have a good reply for.  And as far as your over the line stuff at the end, I wouldn't even want your post taken down, its better others just see your character.

PS:  Since there was you know some football stuff in your post...I will say this...comparing Shakir to Foster and those other guys is about as bad of a take as all your failed arguments to prove Shakir can't catch.  Good luck eating a bag of crow 🍆's when Shakir serves them to you this season :thumbsup:

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Funny, when I logged in, I had several private DM's and assumed it was about the QOD thread.  But no, there were all about you and your reply here and how out of line you get and how the mods don't do enough...even funnier is I had not even read your reply yet lol.

Then I read your reply...and it just made me laugh.  I mean you are the same one who foolishly argued last offseason and even during the season that Shakir "can't catch".  You aren't as smart as you think are, and that is fine, that's honestly probably true about most people lol.

But I do find it funny how you go out of your way to turn into a disrespectful petulant child when facing something you were wrong about or someone making a point you don't have a good reply for.  And as far as your over the line stuff at the end, I wouldn't even want your post taken down, its better others just see your character.

PS:  Since there was you know some football stuff in your post...I will say this...comparing Shakir to Foster and those other guys is about as bad of a take as all your failed arguments to prove Shakir can't catch.  Good luck eating a bag of crow 🍆's when Shakir serves them to you this season :thumbsup:

Bado, never has anything good to say about the team or 98% of the players, frankly I find him to be humorous, in which you know he will disagree with any positives posted about the team or most players, it’s like clockwork so to speak, lol, 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have hopes for him... I think we see improvement... lets see how he adjusts to defenses paying more attention to him and the absence of a true 1 that teams focus on. 

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

To the contrary,  the truth is that Shakir was sold as potentially the steal of the entire draft.

So let's not hyperbolize about the general opinions of him.

I didn't see anyone going bonkers at his projection as a productive slot receiver who might put up 611 yards in his second season.  

But Kupp?   He was coming off an NFL record 1947 yard receiving total so it's PROBABLY important to keep in context the point in time if people disagreed.

If people were comparing Keon Coleman to Calvin Johnson would a 611 yard season in his second year prove those comps correct?

I think not.

The big point of contention from the start was how Shakir would do as a boundary WR because of his extremely short arms.

A lot more people on here were trying to compare him to Stefon Diggs than Cooper Kupp.

We still don't know how he will do on the boundary but there isn't much precedent to indicate he will succeed out there.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.