If you thought we get almost no DPI/Holding calls

I often read that teams don’t play man against the Bills because the DBs can’t afford to turn their back on Josh. So perhaps teams are playing more zone which leads to fewer DPI/holds. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Goin Breakdown said:

This bugs me so much and then we have to hear how he's the best on the league. Well yeah he gets help. I'm not a "game is fixed guy" but I do believe that the NFL has narratives that they want played out. 

I don't like him either but I won't deny that he's an exceptional CB. Even without the help from the refs he'd still be a Top 3 corner. The penalties just put him on a different level above everyone else, and that's what the numbers project.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, transient said:

billswat.0.gif

Flagged for patting his own teammate. IIRC, the penalty stuck. They didn’t pick the flag up. True BS.

But, yes, after JH’s altercation with the ref in the tunnel postgame that time, he was a marked man. The refs union hated him with a passion. Following, we didn’t get much consideration for any little thing on D or on O unless fouls against us were egregious. We were punished for him still being on the team, and I think there’s still animus against McD from the zebras for keeping JH around. You will not convince me otherwise.

Edited by UConn James
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, mrags said:

Why on earth would the defenses we play against even bother to try and hold us? 

1. They don’t need to because none of our WRs have been fast and they aren’t trying to slow them down. 

2. everyone except Shakir dropped everything thrown at them. 

But why would jax be such an anomaly?

51 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

Because the NFL wants Lawrence to be an upper tier QB, to be another face for them, but even with help he's falling short. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1

8 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

This bugs me so much and then we have to hear how he's the best on the league. Well yeah he gets help. I'm not a "game is fixed guy" but I do believe that the NFL has narratives that they want played out. 

image.png.1cb7ae38a58325ed613aabbfa0e3db12.png

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Um…. Because Kirk, Ridley, Jones, all run in the 4.40s? And Ridley is a far superior WR than anyone the Bills have had other than Diggs. Also Ettiene is very good and quick. 

ugh, Ridley, what could have been for us last year. Had for a dollar and a dream and he didn’t disappoint. 

18 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Meh. Doesn't seem to correlate with success at all. Other great teams are low on that chart.

Maybe it says more about our receivers or our QB's play style. Idk.

Might correlate to the dumbness of the rule— the whole underthrown ball DPI is absurd. That’s the one rule I hope they change. If the ball is underthrown, it should be deemed “not catchable.”

15 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

The fact is, he's more or less correct, in the sense that teams didn't feel the need to be all over the Bills receivers.  Defenders seemed to be able to stay close to the Bills' receivers without having to get to close.  

As defenses prepare each week, the emphasis always is what it is that the defense has to stop - the think that can just eat them up.  At the beginning of the season we all would have said that's Diggs, but by the end of the season, Diggs could be stopped without making him the primary focus.  The focus shifted to Kincaid or to Cook, and either case, those guys weren't striking fear in anyone's heart. 

It makes sense that defenses weren't interfering with the Bills.

It's been obvious for a while now that for the Bills passing game to be a serious threat, it's going to be about route design, play calling and execution.  That's primarily Brady.   They have a roomful of receivers who are route runners and after the catch guys, with the possibility that either MVS or Claypool emerges as a real threat.  The route runners will run their routes; if the routes stress the defense, and if Allen makes good decisions, it'll be a good passing offense and then, maybe we'll see more PI and holding.  

I appreciate the thought and analysis, and you make good points but to me it is clearly not the total answer.  I think you can pick any game and you will see multiple instances of Bills receivers being grabbed on breaks or out right interfered with downfield that went without calls, while the Bills get flagged many times more often for these same offenses.  I am not by any means a conspiracy theorist, but I can say that there is a disparity that is unexplained, and is certainly not explained by “our receivers just suck so they do not have to cover them”.  A general lack of respect perhaps?  I don’t know.  I do know that big name players tend to get more calls than other players.  Perhaps that is part of the bias, but the bias is indisputable by the numbers.  

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

You were right….

And it was historically low:

It was low but they came up with a really strange cutoff to make it look as bad as possible.   I would wonder what the ranking would be historically if they chose the cutoff to be 3000 routes run instead of 3200.

The Bills weren't even the lowest number of accepted DH + DPI beneficiaries last season (from NFLpenalties.com):

New England 8 (6 DPI + 2 DH)

New Orleans 9 (4 DPI + 5 DH)

Chicago 9 (5 DPI + 4 DH)

Las Vegas 10 (9 DPI + 1 DH)

Buffalo 10 (3 DPI + 7 DH)

Miami 11 (6 DPI + 5 DH)

Of course this is partly because New England and Chicago barely passed,  However, even on a per pass basis the Bills would only be 2nd lowest behind New Orleans.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, BillsDad51 said:

Side note: watched last season's 2nd Bills-Jets game last night (needed a Bills fix). Sauce Gardiner holds or makes illegal contact on every single play. He's as bad as Dolphins' Kohou, who does get flagged.

No no, ESPN told me he’s the best ever 

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Might correlate to the dumbness of the rule— the whole underthrown ball DPI is absurd. That’s the one rule I hope they change. If the ball is underthrown, it should be deemed “not catchable.”

I don't agree because it's still catchable. Maybe it just shouldn't be a penalty if the DB is stride for stride and the WR stops suddenly and they collide, maybe it should just be incidental contact.

• Like (+1) 1

Why does the XFL have a better replay system then the NFL? Not to mention the transparency. You hear the microphones on the refs. You hear what is being discussed on replay reviews. It's faster. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, 90sBills said:

Good thing we drafted Coleman. 

We also haven’t had physical WR’s and/or size. 

So, no fast guys lately and no physicality. 

Certainly seems like a recipe for low DPI/Hold calls. 

We’re not blazing, but Samuel, MVS, Claypool and Shakir have some speed and Coleman is a guy who should get some iso jump ball throws each game ala Pickens/Higgins. 

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't agree because it's still catchable. Maybe it just shouldn't be a penalty if the DB is stride for stride and the WR stops suddenly and they collide, maybe it should just be incidental contact.

Either way, it shouldn’t be a penalty. They are now rewarding a terrible throw and penalizing great coverage. 

12 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Either way, it shouldn’t be a penalty. They are now rewarding a terrible throw and penalizing great coverage. 

Maybe someone who coaches defense can shed some light on this for me.

Are DBs coached NOT to look back for the ball?

Because it seems to me that 99% of the time they fixate on the receiver and make zero attempt to locate and track the ball. Then when the ball is underthrown they clumsily run into the receiver and get called for DPI.

Why would a DB willfully ignore where the ball is, therefore disqualifying themselves from being able to intercept it, and at the same time making it more likely that they'll get a DPI penalty?