THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - A Roster for McDermott to Work With

4 hours ago, transient said:

If I'm interpreting your system correctly then I think you owe Jerry Hughes an asterisk.

The 2017 team was in the middle of a tear down and making the playoffs was an unexpected bonus. 2024 had better be a better team or Beane will have some serious 'splainin' to do.

Yeah, Jerry almost caused me to do a player by player breakdown.  He and Kyle were good.  But the line goes eight deep, and Oliver and Rousseau are decent matches for Jerry and Kyle. 

2 hours ago, folz said:

I think another interesting comparison might be with the 2021 roster. Despite not making it to the Championship game (as they did in 2020), I think 2021 was the year that we all thought they could/should go on to win it all...probably the best team in the McDermott era to date.

Pos             2021                      2024

QB       Allen, Trubisky        Allen, Trubisky

RB      Singletary, Moss      Cook, Davis

WRs          Diggs                    Shakir

Sanders                  Samuel

Davis                    Coleman

Duke Wiliams           Claypool, MVS

Kumerow, Hodgins    Hollins, Hamler

TE             Knox                   Kincaid. Knox

LT            Dawkins                 Dawkins

LG           Feliciano                 Edwards    

C               Morse                   McGovern    

RG             Ford                      Torrence

RT          Williams                     Brown 

So, quarterback is a push. I'm taking Cook and Davis over Singletary and Moss. Diggs wins the #1 WR battle for the 2021 squad, but from there down, I'm taking the 2024 WRs over the 2021 WR corps. Kincaid/Knox is better than Knox/no one. Dawkins is a push. Not much difference between Feliciano and Edwards probably. As of now, Morse wins the center position, but I'm taking Torrence and Brown over Ford and Williams on the right side (although Williams played well in 2021). 

LDE          Addison                Rousseau

NT           Lotulelei                   Jones

DT            Oliver                      Oliver

RDE         Hughes              Epenesa/Miller

WLB         Milano                     Milano

MLB        Edmunds                Bernard

SCB        Johnson                  Johnson

CB        White/Jackson          Douglas

CB          Wallace                   Benford

SS           Poyer                       Rapp

FS           Hyde                        Bishop

I'm taking Rousseau over Addison, and Daquan over Star. Oliver, Milano, and Taron are all pushes (provided Milano is back to form). I'm taking Epenesa and Miller over Hughes for two reasons, where Jerry was in his career at the time and the hope that Von returns to form---but I could see someone taking the other side on that to. I'm taking Bernard over Edmunds at Mike. And Benford gets the nod over Wallace. Obviously, Hyde and Poyer win the safety battle easy. Then there is Tredavious vs. Rasul. I would give the nod to Tre, but he missed the last 6 games of the year and the two playoff games in 2021, so I'm taking a healthy Rasul over 2021 Tre/Jackson.

I honestly do not see any reason why we can't still go on a deep playoff run. The only players I picked from the 2021 squad over the 2024 squad were Diggs, Morse, Poyer, and Hyde. I don't think center will be a problem or that big a drop-off. So, to me, the only major question marks (personnel-wise in comparison to 2021) are can McDermott get the younger safeties up-to-speed? I don't expect them to have the knowledge and rapport of Hyde and Poyer, but are they good enough to keep the drop-off to a minimum and hold their own? And, developing DBs does seem to be a strength for McD, so crossing my fingers. And then, without Diggs, how will the rest of the WR corps handle things? But, with Kincaid in the mix, way better depth, Shakir maturing, and Josh Allen distributing the ball, I really do think we will be fine without Diggs (just mo).

I like this.  And I agree. 

One of the points I was trying to make is that the 2924 roster is pretty solid, and your  comparison shows it better than mine.  

We can't expect studs everywhere, and 2024 looks like a solid collection of athletes.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Beast said:

McDermott’s going to keep a close eye on the safety’s and have Micah Hyde on speed dial if need be.

Hyde and Poyer have been washed up the last few years.  They have been slow and the NFL is all about speed.  If anything McDermott (or rather Beane) should have Simmons on their speed dial.

Posted (edited)

There’s so many unknown variables at this point, at least in a positive sense I think. I could probably list at least a dozen players that are on their rookie contracts or perhaps on their second contract at the very least who may step up and be major contributors for this team.

We also have many high picks for next year’s Draft as well. There’s been an obvious youth movement on this team, it’s an exciting time to be a Bills fan.

Edited by Victory Formation

11 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Interesting comparison.  Looking at the '17 roster now, I don't know how McD got that motlely crew into the playoffs.

I believe the AFC was much weaker in 2017 which made it easier to make playoffs. Since 2017 many AFC teams.  have got stronger with the Chiefs not ready for prime time yet (i.e. Teicher: Andy Reid may not be right coach for Chiefs after latest playoff collapse)

• Like (+1) 1

Diggs in 2021 was great.  Diggs in late 2023 not so much.  Still, the Bills had an impressive late season run.  For that reason, I'm not terribly worried about Diggs' absence. There is plenty of room for some surprise with respect to who steps up in the WR position.  Yeah, I think Shakir's catch total is going to go up, maybe up into the range of 90 to 100 receptions, But I wouldn't be at all surprised if Buffalo gets w lot of production from depth receivers.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

TBD=Homerville.   I mean the majority of people here voted the Bills to make the SB this year while most of the predictions I have saw outside of TBD has us finishing 2nd or 3rd in the division.  But on TBD we are guaranteed to win the division and make the playoffs.  Take what you read on TBD with a bottle of salt

Lighten up on the shaker Francis!

10 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

TBD=Homerville.   I mean the majority of people here voted the Bills to make the SB this year while most of the predictions I have saw outside of TBD has us finishing 2nd or 3rd in the division.  But on TBD we are guaranteed to win the division and make the playoffs.  Take what you read on TBD with a bottle of salt

When you have a QB like Josh Allen confidence just goes with the territory IMO.  

19 hours ago, FireChans said:

The “optimists” are invoking the memories of the 2017 roster backing into the playoffs. 

We really are doomed in 2024. 

This is exhibit A.

Whereas this is exhibit Dumb.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Lost said:

I'll admit Deon Dawkins has been a huge upgrade over Dion Dawkins.   

I noticed that too. Had me on Google saying, "Has Dion changed the spelling?

17 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Interesting comparison.  Looking at the '17 roster now, I don't know how McD got that motlely crew into the playoffs.

There is so much uncertainty in every offseason but this one more than most.  At this point in the offseason, speculating about the roster is a Rorschak Test.  I learn more about the person sharing their opinion than about the players.   I can see, for example, that Shaw is an open-minded optimist while FireChans is a doomsday curmodgeon.  

There's a saying in India, "When a pick-pocket walks down the street, all he sees is pockets."  Likewise, when a hungry man in America drives down a street, all he sees is restaurants.  When a horny man drives down a street, all he sees is... well, never mind.

The optimists amongst us keep finding reasons to be optimistic.  The pessimist mafiosas keep finding reasons to grumble.  I'm a registered Independent but lean optimist.  I can easily find reasons why this year's receiving corps, OL, LBs, etc will be good.  But, in the end, I really have no freaking idea.  And as smart as all of us are, I think there's going to be some humble pie to eat by season's end.  Each year gives us surprises and this football season will be very interesting.  

Even at the time that '17 team looked like a fairly untalented roster, at the beginning of a rebuild where they'd kept a few guys around to stop it being a complete

It was a hell of a coaching job getting them in, with some real luck thrown in in terms of a 9-7 team squeezing in. But they weren't a roster that looked capable of going 9-7.

It's an interesting comparison because the two teams don't have a lot of natural areas for comparison. That's what makes it thought-provoking. Different areas in terms of the team life-span, though both teams are dealing with being forced to cut cap to improve the future financial situation.

The '24 team definitely looks better, but that's not saying a whole lot, honestly. I always think of that year as the Kyle Williams playoff year, a really nice way to send off an all-time great Bill with an overachieving year with a playoff appearance that otherwise didn't mean much. That team had zero chance to go beyond the divisional round even if they'd managed to get past that awful Jags team in the Wild Card round.

It's a fun POV to assume for a minute, though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

The majority have us finishing 2nd or 3rd in the division, you say? Man, I am not seeing that. Are a few saying that? Yeah, absolutely

The majority? Nah.

Vegas has us as the division faves overwhelmingly. I've seen one site with us getting the same odds as the Jets, none with any division rival better than us.

The division looks tighter than it has for a long time, but the smart money is still on the Bills to win the division.

And please, every team's fanbase is optimistic about their team, that's how this all works. But the consensus here on TBD is NOT that "we are guaranteed to win the division." It just isn't.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I really don’t see the point in comparing the 2017 and 2024 rosters.  The franchise is in a completely different position now.

The comparison with 2021 is much more relevant, and I think there is a chance this year’s roster compares favorably when we look back after this season.

The keys are going to be which young players step up and which veteran additions meet expectations.

So you’re saying we have a chance? Sweet! 

BTW…reaching back to compare the team to one that made the playoffs on a literal miracle is a bit nutty….but it’s July so there’s not much happening. 

22 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Happy Independence Day!

I don’t read or listen to much of what is said about the Bills at this time of year, because there just isn’t that much known about what these Bills are going to do or about how well they’re going to do it.  Questions everywhere, and whatever some expert says is largely speculation.   We Bills fans think we know, but until the real games start, it just isn’t knowable.

Think about it.  Run down the roster and ask your self whether you’re sure the Bills are set at position groups.  

QB?  Got it.  Of course.

Running back?  Yes, I guess, but I’m not overwhelmed. 

Offensive line?  A lot of “should be ok” answers.  Brown should be.  McGovern should be.  Left guard should be.  The line should be pretty good.

Receivers?  Lots of great story lines, but which of those stories will have traction?

Dline?  Solid, on the brink of great and also on the brink of average.

Linebackers?  Ask the doctors and trainers, because no one ever can know whether guys will come back the same.

Corners?  Should be fine.  Should be.

Safeties?  Maybe good (three young guys drafted in the second and third rounds should be talented enough) but really, no one knows until we see them and see what McDermott can do with them. 

All of that is what makes this season a serious test for McDermott.   Starting with good talent with a lot of questions, can he build a team that wins?.  It is, in fact, the kind of team that McDermott coaches best, a team without stars, a team where almost every player has something to prove. 

Thinking about whether this is a playoff team and possibly a serious contender, I began to think about the first time McDermott went to the playoffs - 2017.  So, I compared the rosters:-

RB      LeSean McCoy*           James Cook

FB      Patrick DiMarco           Reggie Gilliam/Dawson Knox

WR     Kelvin Benjamin           Curtis Samuel/Chase Claypool

WR     Deonte Thompson      Shakir/Keon Coleman/Marquez Valdez-Scantling

TE      Charles Clay            Dalton Kincaid

LT       Dion Dawkins          Deon Dawkins

LG      Richie Incognito*     David Edwards

C        Eric Wood     Connor McGovern

RG     Vlad Ducasse           O'Cyrus Torrence

RT      Jordan Mills     Spencer Brown

LDE    Shaq Lawson            Greg Rousseau

LDT    Kyle Williams           Ed Oliver

RDT   Adolphus Washington           DaQuan Jones

RDE   Jerry Hughes               AJ Epenesa

LLB    Lorenzo Alexander    Taron Johnson

MLB   Preston Brown         Terrel Bernard

RLB    Ramon Humber       Matt Milano

LCB    Tre'Davious White     Rasul Douglas

RCB   E.J. Gaines       Christian Benford

SS      Micah Hyde*    Taylor Rapp

FS      Jordan Poyer     Cole Bishop

I like the 2024 roster a lot better.  I’d take Shady, of course, over Cook.  But oline, receivers, dline, I’ll take 2024.  Corners are a wash – White was a rookie, good then, but not yet what he became.  And Hyde and Poyer were in their first season together, first under McDermott – they were no less question marks at the beginning of the season then the current safeties are now.

And then, of course, there’s the QB.  If the starting 21 players in 2017 was good enough to make the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor at QB, then the starting 21 in 2024 certainly is good enough to go deep into the playoffs with Allen at QB.   

I like where the Bills are, rosterwise.  And looking at those two rosters, it reminds me about the reality of the NFL:  Every team, every team, has multiple guys in the lineup where the fans have their fingers crossed, hoping to see the good story and not the bad story.  I've watched a few minutes here and there of games the NFL Network shows in the evening.   Two, three, five, ten years old.  One think I've noticed - how many unrecognizable names there were on good teams.  No teams are loaded with studs; most teams at most positions have guys who are excellent football players fighting every play to execute and stay in the lineup.  A year or two later, they're gone, replaced with a new guy fighting every play. 

I’m not here to argue whether the 2024 roster is better or worse than 2017, and I’m not here to argue that the 2024 Bills roster is as good as it needs to be.  Looking at the collection of names, and the skills of the players, the 2024 Bills roster is a collection solid NFL talent and good rookies with a great quarterback.  How far the team goes will depend on how well the team is coached.  It’s a big year for McDermott.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree with this... there are so many ifs right now that it is hard to put your arms around it... if all the ifs playout well... they could win it all... if certain critical ifs do not then they could miss the playoffs... such a cop out to an extent I know... but what I do know is this... I have no idea what we are going to see when this team takes the field and progresses thru the year... and this year Coach McD will need to create a masterpiece we have not seen him create yet... very big year for him.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The '24 team definitely looks better, but that's not saying a whole lot, honestly.

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:
23 hours ago, FireChans said:

The “optimists” are invoking the memories of the 2017 roster backing into the playoffs. 

We really are doomed in 2024. 

This is exhibit A.

Whereas this is exhibit Dumb.

Lol

28 minutes ago, JP51 said:

I agree with this... there are so many ifs right now that it is hard to put your arms around it... if all the ifs playout well... they could win it all... if certain critical ifs do not then they could miss the playoffs... such a cop out to an extent I know... but what I do know is this... I have no idea what we are going to see when this team takes the field and progresses thru the year... and this year Coach McD will need to create a masterpiece we have not seen him create yet... very big year for him.

I agree.  You get it.  Every place I look at the roster, pretty much every place, I think, "Well, this could be good.  Or not."  

One reason I wrote about 2017 was that I think that was the kind of team, personnel-wise, that McDermott wants to have:  loaded with good football players who are long on want-to.   It's a team full of wrestlers, guys who will do whatever it takes, every minute.  I've always thought McDermott hit the ground running because he had Kyle Williams.   He could hold Kyle up to the entire team and let them all see what an outstanding football player looks like:  a guy who comes to work every day and does whatever it takes.   Every day.  For Williams, it never was about him; it was always about the team.  

I think that's what McDermott has in this roster. 

And I don't think McDermott feels like he's on some kind of hot seat.  I think he has the guys he wants, and he KNOWS he can win with these guys.   His players are not the challenge this season - his ability to muster and direct the football acumen of his coaches is the challenge, and that's what McDermott wants.   Mike Tomlin said he always hated practicing against McDermott at William and Mary, because McDermott brought everything he had, every day, every practice, every rep.  This season, we're going to get everything McDermott has because he now has a team full of players who are going to give him everything they have.   

And, as the months have gone by, increasingly I think that in McDermott-world, the team got BETTER the day they traded Diggs.  I think McDermott may have said to Beane (or it went without saying), "Get rid of Diggs and get me some more of my kind of players."  

The thing about Diggs is this:  When all is said and done, he's just another prima donna "look at me" wideout.  It's true, he has an incredible work ethic, and he works at his craft in a way that sets an example for the rest of his team.  But every day, in subtle little ways, it's always about Diggs.   I think Beane and McDermott understood that when they got him, but they thought they could maximize the "team" part of his psyche and control the "me" part. 

What I think about Diggs, and what I think McBeane discovered about him, is that Diggs has an intense desire to fight, and that's what makes him the dog you want on your team.  The problem with Diggs is that his desire to fight is so intense that sooner or later he turns that desire in little ways on his teammates and/or his coaches.  He can't help it - at some point, the only way he can satisfy the "me" in him is to fight with his team.  I think that's what happened in Minnesota, and I think it's what happened in Buffalo.  I think that Houston will get the "team" Diggs for a year or two, just like the Vikings and the Bills did.  Good for them.  

So, I think that the day Beane dumped Diggs, McDermott's world got brighter and the team got better.   Just look at what happened to the wide receiver room.  Distraction number 1 was traded.  Distraction 1A left in free agency.  (Not that Davis was a problem like Diggs, but he was a problem nevertheless, a problem because he never could meet expectations.)  What is the one distinctive feature about the wide receiver room now?   There is not an ounce of "me" in that room.  If there ever was any "me" in Samuel, in Claypool, in MVS, in Hollins, in Hamler, the league has beaten it out of them.  Shakir showed up with no "me."  

None of this is to say, however, that the team is going to be great.  As I said at the start, thing about this team is that in almost every positional grouping, my reaction is that I can see how each grouping can be good, but I don't know if they will be good.  If McDermott succeeds and they're all good, then you have a lot of good players playing football with Superman at quarterback.  I like the Bills' chances. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree.  You get it.  Every place I look at the roster, pretty much every place, I think, "Well, this could be good.  Or not."  

One reason I wrote about 2017 was that I think that was the kind of team, personnel-wise, that McDermott wants to have:  loaded with good football players who are long on want-to.   It's a team full of wrestlers, guys who will do whatever it takes, every minute.  I've always thought McDermott hit the ground running because he had Kyle Williams.   He could hold Kyle up to the entire team and let them all see what an outstanding football player looks like:  a guy who comes to work every day and does whatever it takes.   Every day.  For Williams, it never was about him; it was always about the team.  

I think that's what McDermott has in this roster. 

And I don't think McDermott feels like he's on some kind of hot seat.  I think he has the guys he wants, and he KNOWS he can win with these guys.   His players are not the challenge this season - his ability to muster and direct the football acumen of his coaches is the challenge, and that's what McDermott wants.   Mike Tomlin said he always hated practicing against McDermott at William and Mary, because McDermott brought everything he had, every day, every practice, every rep.  This season, we're going to get everything McDermott has because he now has a team full of players who are going to give him everything they have.   

And, as the months have gone by, increasingly I think that in McDermott-world, the team got BETTER the day they traded Diggs.  I think McDermott may have said to Beane (or it went without saying), "Get rid of Diggs and get me some more of my kind of players."  

The thing about Diggs is this:  When all is said and done, he's just another prima donna "look at me" wideout.  It's true, he has an incredible work ethic, and he works at his craft in a way that sets an example for the rest of his team.  But every day, in subtle little ways, it's always about Diggs.   I think Beane and McDermott understood that when they got him, but they thought they could maximize the "team" part of his psyche and control the "me" part. 

What I think about Diggs, and what I think McBeane discovered about him, is that Diggs has an intense desire to fight, and that's what makes him the dog you want on your team.  The problem with Diggs is that his desire to fight is so intense that sooner or later he turns that desire in little ways on his teammates and/or his coaches.  He can't help it - at some point, the only way he can satisfy the "me" in him is to fight with his team.  I think that's what happened in Minnesota, and I think it's what happened in Buffalo.  I think that Houston will get the "team" Diggs for a year or two, just like the Vikings and the Bills did.  Good for them.  

So, I think that the day Beane dumped Diggs, McDermott's world got brighter and the team got better.   Just look at what happened to the wide receiver room.  Distraction number 1 was traded.  Distraction 1A left in free agency.  (Not that Davis was a problem like Diggs, but he was a problem nevertheless, a problem because he never could meet expectations.)  What is the one distinctive feature about the wide receiver room now?   There is not an ounce of "me" in that room.  If there ever was any "me" in Samuel, in Claypool, in MVS, in Hollins, in Hamler, the league has beaten it out of them.  Shakir showed up with no "me."  

None of this is to say, however, that the team is going to be great.  As I said at the start, thing about this team is that in almost every positional grouping, my reaction is that I can see how each grouping can be good, but I don't know if they will be good.  If McDermott succeeds and they're all good, then you have a lot of good players playing football with Superman at quarterback.  I like the Bills' chances. 

100% Beane culled his core and his payroll... he got as far as he was gonna with those guys and then the performance began to stagnate then diminsh in some... He wasnt going to improve the team with internal performance improvement with those folks and the money that we were spending on them could not be justified. I like he has seen this and addressed it presently. 

I also agree on Diggs... he hates losing so badly it consumes him.... and then ultimately... he allows it to consume others and that is where the problems start with him.... I always tell my team... Positive traits and characteristics are awesome... unless they are over used and uncontrolled... then they become liabilities... they must be managed in a way that allows you to be effective. Steph cant do that... he will for a bit in Houston... but if he doesnt see immediate success he will try to not let it happen like he tried here... but eventually unless he figures it out it will happen again...  

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, folz said:

I think another interesting comparison might be with the 2021 roster. Despite not making it to the Championship game (as they did in 2020), I think 2021 was the year that we all thought they could/should go on to win it all...probably the best team in the McDermott era to date.

QB       Allen, Trubisky        Allen, Trubisky

RB      Singletary, Moss      Cook, Davis

WRs          Diggs                    Shakir

Sanders                  Samuel

Davis                    Coleman

Duke Wiliams           Claypool, MVS

Kumerow, Hodgins    Hollins, Hamler

TE             Knox                   Kincaid. Knox

LT            Dawkins                 Dawkins

LG           Feliciano                 Edwards    

C               Morse                   McGovern    

RG             Ford                      Torrence

RT          Williams                     Brown 

So, quarterback is a push. I'm taking Cook and Davis over Singletary and Moss. Diggs wins the #1 WR battle for the 2021 squad, but from there down, I'm taking the 2024 WRs over the 2021 WR corps. Kincaid/Knox is better than Knox/no one. Dawkins is a push. Not much difference between Feliciano and Edwards probably. As of now, Morse wins the center position, but I'm taking Torrence and Brown over Ford and Williams on the right side (although Williams played well in 2021). 

LDE          Addison                Rousseau

NT           Lotulelei                   Jones

DT            Oliver                      Oliver

RDE         Hughes              Epenesa/Miller

WLB         Milano                     Milano

MLB        Edmunds                Bernard

SCB        Johnson                  Johnson

CB        White/Jackson          Douglas

CB          Wallace                   Benford

SS           Poyer                       Rapp

FS           Hyde                        Bishop

I'm taking Rousseau over Addison, and Daquan over Star. Oliver, Milano, and Taron are all pushes (provided Milano is back to form). I'm taking Epenesa and Miller over Hughes for two reasons, where Jerry was in his career at the time and the hope that Von returns to form---but I could see someone taking the other side on that to. I'm taking Bernard over Edmunds at Mike. And Benford gets the nod over Wallace. Obviously, Hyde and Poyer win the safety battle easy. Then there is Tredavious vs. Rasul. I would give the nod to Tre, but he missed the last 6 games of the year and the two playoff games in 2021, so I'm taking a healthy Rasul over 2021 Tre/Jackson.

I honestly do not see any reason why we can't still go on a deep playoff run. The only players I picked from the 2021 squad over the 2024 squad were Diggs, Morse, Poyer, and Hyde. I don't think center will be a problem or that big a drop-off. So, to me, the only major question marks (personnel-wise in comparison to 2021) are can McDermott get the younger safeties up-to-speed? I don't expect them to have the knowledge and rapport of Hyde and Poyer, but are they good enough to keep the drop-off to a minimum and hold their own? And, developing DBs does seem to be a strength for McD, so crossing my fingers. And then, without Diggs, how will the rest of the WR corps handle things? But, with Kincaid in the mix, way better depth, Shakir maturing, and Josh Allen distributing the ball, I really do think we will be fine without Diggs (just mo).

That's a great breakdown. You forgot Beasley on the the 2021 squad. But even with the addition of Beasley I agree with your take that the overall receiving threats (WR/TE) of the 2024 roster are better than 2021 on paper. 

So the big question marks between the two rosters are  Diggs and the two safety spots. Otherwise it's basically a push or advantage 2024 roster. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Another Shaw gem.  I would comment on the safety issue.  I think McD knows how to coach DBs extremely well, and when Hyde and Poyer arrived I recall thinking meh- just a couple of guys.  But under McD’s tutelage they became arguably the best safety tandem in the league.  I think he will do similar things with Rapp and Edwards , and eventually Bishop.