Overall Report Card…McD. (Poll)

NoHuddleKelly12

Cumulative Letter Grade for McDermott?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Cumulative Grade for McD?

• A+. Top 5 coach, a wizard at his job with whom we will hoist a Lombardi (not if, but when).
    • A. Top 10 coach, his hiccups only slightly distract from what he’s done overall, and still more likely than not that he gets us a Super Bowl win!
    • B+. Top 10-15 coach, just outside the very top of the top tier, no hot seat here given what he’s been able to do consistently in delivering a winning product for Buffalo. Has ability to get us to a Super Bowl and could win it.
    • B. Still a top half coach, but his playoff blunders keep him out of the A grade tiers. In the mold of Schottenheimer he racks up wins, but will usually fail to come through in the clutch of playoffs. Has strong potential to still turn that part around however.
    • C+. Middle of the road coach, has likely maxed out his coaching ceiling with the Bills—good as it’s been, only a small chance he breaks through in the playoffs.
    • C. Skates above a “D” because of his winning percentage, but forget about watching the playoffs, save your sanity.
    • D+. Has won a lot of games solely because of Josh Allen and occasional defensive efforts that keep him from an “F” grade. That’s not saying much though.
    • D. Bills win despite of him, not because of him. At least he’s managed stay out of the way in the regular season

So a few weeks ago for the QOD I posted a poll requesting letter grades for Beane, and overall TBD gave him relatively high marks across the board for his cumulative tenure. 

Time to broach what I think heading into year 8 of the McDermott era will be much more contentious…as rightly or wrongly McDermott gets the blame for our dear Bills coming up short of a Super Bowl appearance to date. 

Imho McD provides ammo for both sides of the coin as to his value add as a coach—highlights include:

-2nd most winningest coach in Bills history at .640 clip—has delivered 5 consecutive seasons of 10+ wins, including a left-for-dead 2023 squad sitting at 6-6 with a scotch-taped Defense playing out of its collective mind;

- 6 playoff berths earned out of 7 seasons (rookie coach broke the 17 yr drought with a collection of “bad news bears” JV squad in ‘17);

-4 straight AFC East Championships;

-Owns arch nemesis Miami like a slumlord; 

-Dunked the worst defensive playoff outing of Bill Belichick’s career; 

-Develops top notch players from middling picks—has brought in a clear culture of quality;

Howeva…lowlights include:

-“13.” You all know;

-Damar fake punt instead of Allen’s hands;

-Leslie Frazier’s soft serve ice cream defensive efforts in the playoffs under McD;

-Time management miscues in game, red flag decisions;

-Tendency to veer too conservative in crucial situations.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/striving-for-the-ultimate-goal-top-5-things-to-know-from-bills-hc-sean-mcdermott-s-2023-end-of-season-press-conference

Throw it all together and what say you? What is McD’s earned grade so far?  (I didn’t put “F” as an option for McD haters because it’s just silly given where his tenure has taken us thus far). 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Top 10 coach.

• Good leader.

• Brought Beane in (Beane drafted Allen)

• Affable, brought a winning culture to Buffalo.

• Broke our playoff drought.

• Stabilizing force within the organization.

• High character.

- - Would be a top 5 coach IF:

1.) Put a complete team around Josh Allen

a.) Dominant top 5 defense (NOT just a paper tiger)

b.) Dominant run game.

c.) Excellent STs (Including FGs Bass especially.)

Conclusion:

Unless this guy loses the team and we bottom out, he should be given all the time in the world.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

C+.  A superb leader of men who unfortunately chokes in the big situations.  

I hear you—but a contrarian view would be in most if not all big situation consequential games leading up to any of the “exit” games, he pulled whatever levers necessary to get the W… don’t forget most recently the Bills essentially played must-win pressure packed football back to back stretch of 6 games to close out the season—taking the division out from Miami’s nose, ***** the 2 seed and even get into the playoffs. Plus the WC win over Pittsburgh and that was 7 straight games where it was loser go home for us! Honestly I feel like McD coached his gluteus maximus off to salvage the season after the Denver game debacle/Dorsey firing fwiw.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Why are we doing this again? Literally no football has been played. Why would the results be different?

The point of the poll is to gauge where TBD is at after having had a chance to digest and process the past year (including the most recently released PFF top ten ranking for him discussed in a different non-poll thread), and place that in context of the previous seasons to come up with an interim verdict going into camp—not be a knee jerk reaction so to speak. If you still feel that’s overkill I respect that, but hopefully you agree this remains more enjoyable than another what if this or that WR came to Buffalo thread? 🤷‍♂️😁

• NoHuddleKelly12 changed the title to QOD: Overall Report Card…McD. (Poll)
5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Oh good another fire McDermott thread. We haven't had one of those for *checks notes* zero days....

This is definitely not the intent of the OP. More of a temperature gauge instead. 😁FWIW I think he’s a solid coach who can still break through in the playoffs. I’m still amazed at what the Bills were able to do the 2nd half of the season last year. 

I voted B but my opinion is sort in the middle of B/B plus.

I just posted that 2002 Bills/Chargers game and during those and the drought years wins like that would seem cause for a celebration.  Today's it's just to be expected.  

I know Sean has Josh as his QB but the culture turnaround he's done here over the years gets him a good amount of credit from me.  Even with Josh a lot of Browns fans think he wouldn't have had the success in Cleveland as he did in Buffalo because of their culture.  

On the flip side to that good arguments are to be made he will never get the team over the top.  

• Like (+1) 1

I voted B...you had me at Schottenheimer...I will always give Sean his props for Beane, Allen, Process, Culture and administrative team building. I will give JA17 at least 60-70% of the credit for our yearly regular season wins. Once the playoffs begin, Josh continues to shine yet Sean's defense and strategy crumble. You can set your watch to it every year.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, MJS said:

Why are we doing this again? Literally no football has been played. Why would the results be different?

Because it's the offseason right before training camp and there is little to talk about, but I see your point.

4 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

This is definitely not the intent of the OP. More of a temperature gauge instead. 😁FWIW I think he’s a solid coach who can still break through in the playoffs. I’m still amazed at what the Bills were able to do the 2nd half of the season last year. 

I get what you mean, although I highly doubt that there are a lot of Bills fans that have changed their opinions on McDermott.

• Like (+1) 1