NFC Best Case Worst Case Season Outlook July Edition

corta765

Like I did yesterday this is my NFC version of best/worst case season outcomes for each team. This is based off of todays roster and where I think it is going while understanding things can change.

Arizona

Best: With Kyler healthy the Cardinals offense takes off with Harrison Jr in the fold and the Cards clinch a wild card berth

Worst: Kyler fails to return to the high end player he had showed in the past and another nondescript 6-11 year goes by without any tangible progress in any area.

Atlanta

Best: Captain Kirk has a career year unleashing the skilled playmakers ATL have as they take advantage of a light schedule for a 13-4 1 seed year and berth in the NFC title game.

Worst: Cousins age and injury shows as the Falcons struggle in 6-11 year and insert in Penix for the final 5 games who looks overwhelmed showing no sign of competence.

Carolina

Best: Bryce Young takes major steps forward showing he is not a bust as the offense finishes in the top half. The Panthers are in the playoff hunt before falling late in a 7-10 year.
Worst: Young shows no signs of improvement, the offense is as bad as in 2023, and the team goes 4-12 missing out on the top 3.

Chicago

Best: Hype train is real as Williams throws for 3700 yds 28 TDs as the Bears finally have a passing offense and take a wildcard spot winning a game.

Worst: 6-11 season as Williams is very down with few highlights and they have to put the backup in a few times. The defense fails to show the promise it had in 2023 and a new head coach/gm come in continuing the cycle in Chicago of constant coach/gm change.

Dallas

Best: It finally comes together as the Cowboys win back to back division crowns, beat the 49ers in the divisional round, and go to their first NFC title since 96'. Dak wins MVP and Jerry has to pay him a new oil well.

Worst: 7-10 season sees coach get fired, Dak not receive a contract extension hitting FA, and Dallas implode from top to bottom. Even the mascot calls it quits and throws their outfit in the salvation army bin.

Detroit

Best: They close this time in the NFC title as they host the game in Detroit for their first Super Bowl ever.

Worst: Last year was a mirage as Goff looks more like the system QB he was in LA, the Packers & Bears blow by in the division, and Detroit misses the playoffs at 8-9 recalling questions on the QB position long term.

Green Bay

Best: The high octane offense GB and Love showed the back half of 2023 hits full stride on the way to a 12-5 division crown as Love finishes establishing himself as a franchise QB. The Packers make a run to the NFC title game also.

Worst: The Packers fail to improve on last year falling to 7-10 as the Bears even pass by them and questions start on whether Love is the QB long term.

LA Rams

Best: The offense explodes as Stafford helps the young playmakers reach another level while the Rams defense sees strong young contributions as they take the division crown from the 49ers.

Worst: Stafford gets hurt and the offense regresses while the defense cannot survive the loss of Donald as the Rams are out of playoff contention by December. Stafford retires and the Rams enter a major transition period with more questions then answers and McVay enters broadcasting

Minnesota

Best: JJ flies in his rookie year as with an offense loaded in playmakers he lets them do the work on the way to a surprise playoff berth at 9-8

Worst: Darnold holds the starting spot for over half the season before JJ finally comes in and shows very little to be excited about and the Vikes as a team go 5-12.

New Orleans

Best: In a lukewarm NFC South the Saints go 10-7 to win the division and knock out the 49ers at home.

Worst: The Saints go 7-10 spinning their tires as they have the last few years being not good enough to do anything but not bad enough to get a top pick in the draft.

NY Giants

Best: Nabers is a revelation as he gives Jones a true passing target and the offense takes some real steps. The defense becomes a top 10 unit and the Giants go 10-7 in route to a wildcard berth.

Worst: The offense is as bad as it looks on paper, Jones is an overpay cut target leaving NY with a QB question, and the rebuild with Bills NYC has flashing lights on its long term viability while also missing out on a top 5 pick.

Philadelphia

Best: Moore fixes the offense/Hurts to 2022 form, Fangio does wonders on defense, and the Eagles roar back to a 13-4 season grabbing the 1 seed and returning to the SB.

Worst: Hurts 2022 season feels more like an aberration as his uneven play in 2023 continues throughout 2024, the Eagles miss the playoffs at 8-9 and questions explode about the coaching staff being a fit long term.

San Fran

Best: The win the SB breaking through on years of almost.

Worst: Purdy is uneven as his turnovers go up, CMAC gets hurt, the defense isn't the same after some attrition, and the 49ers bow our as a wildcard quickly.

Seattle

Best: Geno continues his solid play of the last two years and stays healthy while Macdonald infuses a new energy to the defense and they return to the playoffs as a wildcard.

Worst: In their worst season in a decade plus Geno is lukewarm at QB and gets hurt, the defense goes through growing pains in year 1 and the Seahawks are out of playoff contention by the end of November giving the 12s a long offseason to think on.

Tampa Bay

Best: Year 2 Baker is even better finally having stability as they win another division crown and finish 12-5 with the 2 seed.

Worst: Year 2 Baker is more uneven as the offense isn't as dynamic, the defense slips after losing key veterans and the Bucs miss the playoffs at 7-10 forcing thoughts of a true rebuild.

Washington

Best: Jayden Daniels has an RG3 esq rookie year as the offense takes off in year 1 while Quinn stabilizes the defense into a bend don't break unit and the Commanders take the final wildcard and Daniels wins ROTY. Additionally they change their name to the Redtails with far better logo, uni set, and overall brand.

Worst: Mariota starts the year and does nothing, Daniels comes in and does nothing, the defense shows zero improvement, and the Commanders waste a year with no real progress to build on for the future.

39 minutes ago, Augie said:

Nothing personal, Vikings fans, but I hope they have a miserable year, worse than your worst case,  making that 2nd round draft pick that much more valuable.  😋

My honest thought is Minnesota has a 6-11 type year where the record looks bad but the back half JJ finds his groove a bit and they are in most games. I think if they start Darnold it is a mistake given the supporting cast they have for a rookie to learn with.

54 minutes ago, corta765 said:

My honest thought is Minnesota has a 6-11 type year where the record looks bad but the back half JJ finds his groove a bit and they are in most games. I think if they start Darnold it is a mistake given the supporting cast they have for a rookie to learn with.

I don’t think they are bad enough as a team for them to have the kind of season I wish for them, but a guy can dream!

An early second round pick should be able to help our team, and if it went toward WR or Edge it wouldn’t break my heart (if the board fell right, of course). 

Edited by Augie

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t think they are bad enough of a team for them to have the kind of season I wish for them, but a guy can dream!

An early second round pick should be able to help our team, and if it went toward WR or Edge it wouldn’t break my heart (if the board fell right, of course). 

Their defense is in a sizable reshape and rookie QBs usually take some time even with a decent supporting cast. I think the big thing is they stay competitive throughout the season and show true progress at QB/across the board so they can spring board in 2025.

45 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Vikings certainly are intriguing.

I could make the argument they are a 4 or 12 win team.  They have all the pieces and drafted a nothing but winner QB with a national Championship.  He might either turn out to be Brock Purdy or Brian Brohm.

I could certainly see them starting Darnold but dont dare let him get entrenched beyond mid season.

• Agree 1