Should the Bills trust that Tyler Bass will return to form?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He will have had a say but that's a GM call.

Are you saying McDermott cannot cut under performing players on this team ?

If so that is a truly dysfunctional management structure. 

Most other teams the gm signs the players and the coach has the ability to cut the players

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Most other teams the gm signs the players and the coach has the ability to cut the players

I just think it’s more collaborative than that. These guys know each other very well and are on the same team. But what do I know? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

So if there is a disagreement on a player between McDermott and Beane who wins ?

Are you married? I am, and it depends. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

GMs cut players. Of course coaches have a say. But GMs decide on cuts. Brandon Beane has responsibility for the 53. Sean has responsibility for the game day 47. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Seem to me the bottom line is that it's too early to cut Bass, but it would be foolish to trust him completely, especially after minicamp. Even if he rocks training camp, I would have other options on speed dial. The Bills can't afford to revert to losing close games, as they did in 2022, or have their kicker melt down in the playoffs. The trouble is that bringing in serious competition might cause Bass to lose confidence. But if he's that fragile, it's better to cut him now and let him haunt some other team. I want a kicker with swagger (which McD used to say Bass had), not a head case who has the world holding their breath on extra-point attempts. 

• BuffaloBill changed the title to Should the Bills trust that Tyler Bass will return to form?

Well for one he's under contract so they will at the very least give him a shot to see if he will before they cut him because there will be money involved some how, not sure exactly how much but if would go against the cap .

I think he can be the kicker he was but he needs to focus more on that than some other recent happenings that involve things of the feline/***** cat persuasion in his life just saying ...

Posted (edited)

He is dead weight as far as I am concerned, even in the OTA's this past month he was shanking stuff all over the field.  He has not figured himself out and fixed what ever he has going on with his confidence and also his kicking motion, kicking through and striking the ball consistently.

I would rather have a top college kicker kicking for us this year.

He is just going to show us all in training camp that he is washed up.....

Edited by Toyo321
  • Like (+1) 2

If the problem is the holder then the Bills should do everything to get a holder he is comfortable with because 5 extra yards on a punt are not every important compared to 3 points. If it is Bass we need to have a backup plan because I don't trust him at this point.

14 hours ago, buffblue said:

He was never very good. The stats don't lie 

Even during his presumably good "bass-o-matic" years, he would routinely slice close to the crossbars or "doink" them in.

Most fans took the stance of "if it counts, it counts" but just going by what my eyes saw I've never felt super comfortable when he lines up to kick. This past season he just stopped getting the close ones inside.

On 7/5/2024 at 3:24 PM, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I do not believe the coach gets that duty on his own in pretty much any building 

The roster building implications of long term keepers and cap implications certainly trace back to the GM

On 7/3/2024 at 4:37 AM, Jauronimo said:

You can never trust that a kicker will return to form when the issues are mental.  They can hope but there had better be insurance options.

Yep.  This is a more important issue than some people think.  Not many teams get to the Super Bowl with a below average kicker…

Bass has never been great, and the contract Beane gave him is a crime. But the contract is structured so that it's incredibly unlikely he gets cut in the next 12 months. There would be like 5M of dead cap on a freaking kicker. If he has another bad season he's obviously gone and I think the contract is easier to cut after this year. But we may be stuck with him for this season. In general I think Beane's done a good job and is a good GM but the Bass contract is one of the worst things he's done.