Should the Bills trust that Tyler Bass will return to form?

No. 

Bass started off horrific, achieved some level of consistency between 21 and 22, then fell back into disrepair. 

He kicks 70% in the playoffs (33% from 40-49 yards) and is an even more depressing 89.7% on XP’s in the playoffs.

Most overrated kicker in a long time. He ain’t no Hauschka or Lindell. He’s Dan Carpenter who turned back into a pumpkin.

• Like (+1) 1

Based on early returns at minicamps, I’m wondering just how much of this is due to who his holder is or not? Does anyone here have any kicking experience who could weigh in on this specific angle? Of course if that is vital, then surely he’s let the coaches know who he’s most comfortable with…

Bass could get his consistency back.  That being said, there should be competition on the roster now.

Currently there are 13 WRs and 10 DTs.  You tell me that you can't live without one of those in camp for a PK.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I want to believe in Bass...but I would be lying if I said I am not concerned, especially with how he started the OTA's.

Didn't he go 5/5 on FG's at the start of OTA's?

I'm not as paranoid as all other Bills fans when it comes to Bass. I think he will rebound.

• Like (+1) 1

I think you give him another shot to prove that he can return to form.....but just like any position, you need to have a contingency plan just in case....and might be a good idea to bring in some extra competition to see where your evaluation takes you. 

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Didn't he go 5/5 on FG's at the start of OTA's?

I'm not as paranoid as all other Bills fans when it comes to Bass. I think he will rebound.

No he went like 2/5

• Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Yes, but prior to that he went 5/5 during OTA's.

Well if he went 5/5 then 2/5 that would make him 7/10 - which is still terrible, hence why I am still nervious even though I am still hopeful he get his stuff together this year.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Posted (edited)

He gets the yips. 

He’s never shown me any reason to not go look somewhere else. 

The ***** single eye black on his face that looks 12 years old drives me crazy (get off my lawn!) 

Also, has a kicker ever truly had a rebound in their career? Seems like a skill that once gone, is gone. 

Edited by stevestojan

10 hours ago, Beast said:

He’ll be fine. He had a rough go from 30-39 yards last year. Every other distance was on par with his career stats. 

McD lost faith in him beyond 45 yards and stopped using him.  That's your giant red flag right there. Just another stupid and premature extension. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Beast said:

He’ll be fine. He had a rough go from 30-39 yards last year. Every other distance was on par with his career stats. 

He was 12 of 13 last year from 30-39.

He was 4 of 6 from 40-49 yards.  Not great. 

In the post-season he was 1 of 3 from 40-49.  That hurt.  

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

He was 12 of 13 last year from 30-39.

He was 4 of 6 from 40-49 yards.  Not great. 

In the post-season he was 1 of 3 from 40-49.  That hurt.  

Correct.

I read his 2020 stats as his 2023 stats. My bad.

I still believe he’ll be fine.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well if he went 5/5 then 2/5 that would make him 7/10 - which is still terrible, hence why I am still nervious even though I am still hopeful he get his stuff together this year.

He's tough to figure out. With field goals he can struggle, with extra points he's one of the best in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

Well, the Bills have Jack Browning on the roster as competition for Sam Martin.  There is a good chance he replaces Martin.  He was also a place kicker in college.  He didn't have a great percentage kicking FGs in college.  He was 15 out of 22 attempts in college, but he does have a big leg, having kicked a 61 yarder,  He was still developing.  If Bass started the season and it became obvious he was still struggling, he would be a viable option.  The problem, of course, would be finding a holder for him since as the punter he would normally be the holder.