QOD: Should the Bills trust that Tyler Bass will return to form?

BuffaloBill

He’s one of my two “players I hope I’m wrong about” alongside Von.

Kickers are a strange breed.  When they have confidence they can’t miss, but when it goes…oy vey.  Really hoping we learn that Bass had some sort of nagging injury or something last year, or that he regains his mojo.  Right now I’ll be holding my breath on every kick.

To answer your question — I sincerely doubt the Bills are “ignoring” last season’s decline and Beane is keeping his eyes peeled on who is out there if they don’t see a difference during TC and preseason.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

I would like to see some competition in camp, I feel this dude is a head case.  And barely makes his kicks anymore.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a kicker like Butker who you can count on? 

I can't count on Bass anymore and we should look at available kickers.

Edited by Negan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Absolutely not.   I think if his kicking looks fragile in camp, they need to execute the Plan B at that position.  

Especially in Orchard Park where the conditions especially late in the year make it one of the most difficult stadiums to kick in.

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

You can never trust that a kicker will return to form when the issues are mental.  They can hope but there had better be insurance options.

Even if Bass is at a career high in the regular season, any kick between 35-50 in the playoffs....I won't be confident and will expect the worst.

• Like (+1) 2

Even with the appalling injuries in the playoff game against KC, the Bills would likely have won if Diggs and Bass, supposedly two of the most reliable players on the team, hadn't choked. Even if he's perfect in the regular season, I won't trust him in the playoffs, not after last season. You want your kicker to be an asset, but at the very least he can't be a liability. That's what he was last year. Time to bring in real competition. 

IMO it is hard to judge with their current staff.  They need to hire someone experienced in kicking to work with just kickers.

They also need to do an extensive workup on his physical state since he took several shots last year, some cheap ones.

I can see a Gregg Williams type of opposition coach to instruct player "sweep the leg" knowing he has physical issues.