The Hard Knocks Thread

8 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

That week was hilarious leading up the week 18 game. The entire organization was like "we gonna lose, we always do"

then went ahead and did it 

I have rarely enjoyed the level of schadenfreude that I enjoyed watching the two episodes of Hard Knocks right before and right after that Bills game.

The one before was like "we asked for this! Adversity grows character! Everything we want is right in front of us! Rahhhh! Let's get 'em! We got this!"

Then the episode after they lost was just, well....impossible entertaining to watch.

I think the combined arrogance of the Dolphins fan base, Mike McDaniel, and Tyreek Hill just made the way their season ended so, so delicious. I mean...a three game division lead with five left to play? Beating them IN THEIR HOUSE for the division title? You can't write a script better than that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Logic said:

The one before was like "we asked for this! Adversity grows character! Everything we want is right in front of us! Rahhhh! Let's get 'em! We got this!"

Then the episode after they lost was just, well....

Unfortunately, I imagine this is the same level of schadenfreude that KC fans had watching us lose at home in the playoffs....

Edited by Ballsy
typo fix
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/3/2024 at 3:17 PM, eball said:

Schoen had no choice regarding the Barkley situation.  His big mistake was the Jones contract in the first place.  How do you look at that guy and think he is the answer for the franchise?  But he did, and now he's trying to support him.

On 7/3/2024 at 3:40 PM, DJB said:

Agreed he should have cut bait immediately and told Mara he needed to start over.

Now he’s hitched his wagon to him and inevitably will have to have the conversation about how he wasted the owners money and needs to draft a new guy. 

Huge blunder 

It was basically a 2 year contract, and they wanted to see what Dabol could do with him.

He is gone after this season, and they'll save $20M in cap by cutting him.

I was more surprised the Giants didnt trade back or out of the 1st this year to gain another 1st next year for maneuvering in the 2025 draft.

They wouldnt be in any better place right now had they let him walk and were starting Tyrod.

On 7/15/2024 at 1:04 PM, Logic said:

I have rarely enjoyed the level of schadenfreude that I enjoyed watching the two episodes of Hard Knocks right before and right after that Bills game.

Then the episode after they lost was just, well....impossible entertaining to watch.

I think the combined arrogance of the Dolphins fan base, Mike McDaniel, and Tyreek Hill just made the way their season ended so, so delicious. I mean...a three game division lead with five left to play? Beating them IN THEIR HOUSE for the division title? You can't write a script better than that.

The Dolphins' in season Hard Knox has to be pretty good, the in season one's are all the last part of the regular season into the playoffs if the team makes it so for the Dolphins it's got to be pretty much all late season collapse.

Mara irrationally wanting Saquon and being worried he will go to a division rival is SO BILLSY. Shades of Bills fans losing their minds because they lost Mike Gillislee to the Pats.

This season thing of Hard Knocks is incredible.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

The Dolphins' in season Hard Knox has to be pretty good, the in season one's are all the last part of the regular season into the playoffs if the team makes it so for the Dolphins it's got to be pretty much all late season collapse.

I remember McDaniels attempt at a John Belushi "was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor" type speech.... they just sat there like whatever dude... hysterical TV.... 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Ballsy said:

Unfortunately, I imagine this is the same level of schadenfreude that KC fans had watching us lose at home in the playoffs....

Well, sure, yeah, but What's Your Point?

As Dion Dawkins wrote in the Player's Tribune about the Cardinals beating us and celebrating their asses off like they won the damned superbowl, "they won, they can do (feel, say) anything they like"

Edited by Beck Water

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Mara irrationally wanting Saquon and being worried he will go to a division rival is SO BILLSY. Shades of Bills fans losing their minds because they lost Mike Gillislee to the Pats.

This season thing of Hard Knocks is incredible.

Agree

Mara gives me the impression he is giving shoen enough rope to hang himself with what we are seeing on tv

I loved how they showed Mara coming in to ask how they lost tyrod. 

Shoen had egg on his face with that one as well as Barkley

1 minute ago, TBBills Fan said:

Agree

Mara gives me the impression he is giving shoen enough rope to hang himself with what we are seeing on tv

I loved how they showed Mara coming in to ask how they lost tyrod. 

Shoen had egg on his face with that one as well as Barkley

ew no. Paying Barkley that money would be franchise malpractice. Schoen paying that money would’ve been outrageous. Ditto with Tyrod.

how do Bills fans not realize that your backup quality QB and your great RB DO NOT MATTER. We literally lived that for 20 years.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/15/2024 at 2:04 PM, Logic said:

The thing that stood out to me was how completely out of place and in over his head McDaniel seemed when the adversity came.  I know he has his supporters, but to me just completely fails to check the 'Leader of men' box

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, stevewin said:

The thing that stood out to me was how completely out of place and in over his head McDaniel seemed when the adversity came.  I know he has his supporters, but to me just completely fails to check the 'Leader of men' box

I actually agree.

I think that Mike McDaniel is an absolutely brilliant play-caller. I think he'll have a long career in the NFL as a coveted and successful offensive coordinator. But I don't think he's got what it takes to be a head coach. 

He has an awkward, non-genuine sort of way about him, and he talks a lot without saying much. Endless word salads. He does NOT strike me as a leader of men or a guy you can turn to in the heat of battle and feel like he's "in the trenches" with you. I think his schtick has worked so far because the Dolphins have been winning football games, but if they keep collapsing or failing to meaningfully improve, I can see his act beginning to wear thin with the players and them tuning him out.

I think we're closer to the end of the Mike McDaniel tenure as Dolphins head coach than the beginning of it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It was basically a 2 year contract, and they wanted to see what Dabol could do with him.

He is gone after this season, and they'll save $20M in cap by cutting him.

And $22M in dead cup.

And if he gets injured this year - say tears an ACL - they’re on the hook for 2025 too.

58 minutes ago, FireChans said:

ew no. Paying Barkley that money would be franchise malpractice. Schoen paying that money would’ve been outrageous. Ditto with Tyrod.

how do Bills fans not realize that your backup quality QB and your great RB DO NOT MATTER. We literally lived that for 20 years.

I'm not debating the value. I agree. I'm enjoying watching that owner/GM dynamic and watching it play out

I see a boss who was given a plan, then when the plan goes sideways about the same boss asking what happened

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

I'm not debating the value. I agree. I'm enjoying watching that owner/GM dynamic and watching it play out

I see a boss who was given a plan, then when the plan goes sideways about the same boss asking what happened

Oh yes, in Mara’s view, Schoen probably screwed it up. But that’s why owners can be silly. Tying up $20M+ on a backup QB and RB is silly, they used that money on Burns instead.

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Oh yes, in Mara’s view, Schoen probably screwed it up. But that’s why owners can be silly. Tying up $20M+ on a backup QB and RB is silly, they used that money on Burns instead.

Yes, and that's the point.  Mara writes all the checks, so seeing how they both handle it is great to for me. 

On tyrod, considering their QB situation, having one of the better back up QBs in the league is a smart move and money well spent. 

Barkley staying would be a Russ Brandon move. If we are debating moves, the Giants should have gone for Daniels or acquired picks for ammo for next year. We are bills fans right?  So we know that a game changing QB is needed

Funny - on a random note, it was driving me crazy when they were playing that stupid Beyonce country song and just wouldn't stop, and it was so weird (and annoying) how it started with Schoen purposely and inexplicably starting the song on his phone before starting discussion with Daboll.  I saw this today in a "social media reacts" article on the episode which someone had tweeted - now at least it makes sense if true - they were totally screwing with HBO 😛  (who then as the tweet says got the most for their money by continuing to play the song over some Vegas dealer video/animation 'explaining Giants free agency') 

At the Giants 100 event at MSG, Dabes said they would play music in the office trying to see if a copyright issue would force HBO to edit out footage. In talking free agents, it looks like they made HBO open the checkbook to license Beyoncé song & they fit it into the edit 😂

Edited by stevewin
  • Thank you (+1) 2