The Hard Knocks Thread

FireChans

5 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I thought Joe Schoen knew football. Letting their best player walk and trying to validate that 40M price tag on Daniel Jones is diabolical 

Signing Barkley make no sense for that team.  None.  Seemed like a pretty wise move imo.

on the flip side, the eagles have a very top heavy roster and a very odd coaching staff.  Seems they are ready to crash and burn.  

The eagles have done this before with an in division star running back with and extensive injury history.  It was a huge failure.  Demarco Murray flamed out pretty quick in philly.  Not saying barkley will but the eagles feel like an organization with some underlying issues and again a very top heavy roster. 

3 years for 37 million for a guy always hurt in a fragile locker room seems like not the best idea.

I haven't watched it yet but I'm excited to do so.

I've heard that it's already more interesting than the training camp ones.

I find offseason "how the sausage gets made" stuff with GMs and scouts so, so interesting. Arguably more interesting than the zillionth "longshot to make the team, training camp battle, let's cry with him as he gets cut and gets a job as a garbage man" storyline.

For what it's worth...I kind of wish the Bills had been the ones to pull off the trade for Brian Burns, salary cap implications be damned.

• Agree 3

20 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Here's Morgan, Schoen, and Beane, three once-Bills GMs, talking about trading up to 6 in the draft while at the Senior Bowl.

It's pretty cool to see the success of this current era of the Bills reflected in the hiring of GM's and coaches around the league. It just shows how respected the current organization is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Caught it randomly last night.  I was surprised how honest the clips were about keeping or letting Barkley go along with support for Daniel Jones. Good insight into the offseason right now scouting for Free Agency and some draft GM'ing. A new fresh angle for Hard Knocks.

Bonus for anyone on the fence on watching. The Giants have so many Bills connections through Schoen and Daboll evaluations of Moss and Singletary as FA RB's, couple Josh Allen draft highlights, even a Boogie Basham appearance.  It felt like like watching a alternate universe JV Bills team. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

Signing Barkley make no sense for that team.  None.  Seemed like a pretty wise move imo.

on the flip side, the eagles have a very top heavy roster and a very odd coaching staff.  Seems they are ready to crash and burn.  

The eagles have done this before with an in division star running back with and extensive injury history.  It was a huge failure.  Demarco Murray flamed out pretty quick in philly.  Not saying barkley will but the eagles feel like an organization with some underlying issues and again a very top heavy roster. 

3 years for 37 million for a guy always hurt in a fragile locker room seems like not the best idea.

Leaving aside fragility or the lack, what's the Eagles OL, specifically the IOL?  Can they run block?  Who is their center?  They're listing Cam Jurgens, who played C in college and was last year's RG, but has missed time with foot injuries - is he gonna really be able to step up and replace Kelce?  Then who are their guards?  For that matter, if they were happy with Jordon Mailata at LT what's up with drafting Tyler Steen in the 3rd last year?

53 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Here's Morgan, Schoen, and Beane, three once-Bills GMs, talking about trading up to 6 in the draft while at the Senior Bowl.

Interesting that Morgan started out with two ones LOL.  Burns was traded to the Giants for a 2nd and a 5th.

Edited by Beck Water

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

For that matter, if they were happy with Jordon Mailata at LT what's up with drafting Tyler Steen in the 3rd last year

Smart teams draft players at high impact positions BEFORE they are crippling needs. 

I know this is shocking to hear. The Bills only draft those positions when they have no other choice. They’d rather save up those mid rounders for back up running backs.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I just watched.....the conversations are a little less sophisticated that I would have thought, honestly not that different than you hear on talk radio in a lot of ways.   "How much wear and tear" on the RB, they use age 27 as a gage, the number of RB's in FA....stuff you hear and read a lot about , etc.....They had a spreadsheet they showed that I would love to see the details behind.

44 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Smart teams draft players at high impact positions BEFORE they are crippling needs. 

I know this is shocking to hear. The Bills only draft those positions when they have no other choice. They’d rather save up those mid rounders for back up running backs.

100% truth! 

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Leaving aside fragility or the lack, what's the Eagles OL, specifically the IOL?  Can they run block?  Who is their center?  They're listing Cam Jurgens, who played C in college and was last year's RG, but has missed time with foot injuries - is he gonna really be able to step up and replace Kelce?  Then who are their guards?  For that matter, if they were happy with Jordon Mailata at LT what's up with drafting Tyler Steen in the 3rd last year?

Interesting that Morgan started out with two ones LOL.  Burns was traded to the Giants for a 2nd and a 5th.

Two ones was what the Rams offered last year at the deadline I believe

Just now, Captain Hindsight said:

Two ones was what the Rams offered last year at the deadline I believe

Dan Morgan looks the worst and he had like 5 seconds of screen time lol.

Was jangling around Burns immediately after Schoen was talking trades, asked for 2 ones then immediately dropped to “1 and stuff.”

we all know he eventually took a second and fifth swap. 

Brutal.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Can you list what, in your opinion, constitute the "smart teams" that in your opinion, consistently draft players at high impact positions before they become crippling needs?

Thanks

• Thank you (+1) 1