How close is Allen to Mahomes if all things were equal?

Alphadawg7

If all things were equal...is Mahomes really that much better than Allen?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best QB in the NFL currently if all things were equal?

• Allen
    • Mahomes
    • Other

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

thats very backwards

mahomes is the better regular season qb, allen is the better playoff qb

so all things considered give me allen

Mahomes 15-3 in the postseason with 41 TD passes and 8 INT's

Allen is 5-5 with 21TD passes and 4 INT's.

If you add in rushing, you can argue Allen is better or same in both regular season and playoffs, there really is not a lot of difference in either.  We could break down stats but they are both outstanding in the postseason.  15-3 vs 5-5 easily breaks the tie, 0-3 vs Allen vs Mahomes drives it home.  All things considered you want the guy who is 0-3 vs the other guy who has been to what 5 straight AFC championship games, 4 SB's vs the guy who went to one championship game and lost to the other.  What exactly are you considering?

2 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

If you add in rushing, you can argue Allen is better or same in both regular season and playoffs, there really is not a lot of difference in either.  We could break down stats but they are both outstanding in the postseason.  15-3 vs 5-5 easily breaks the tie, 0-3 vs Allen vs Mahomes drives it home.  All things considered you want the guy who is 0-3 vs the other guy who has been to what 5 straight AFC championship games, 4 SB's vs the guy who went to one championship game and lost to the other.  What exactly are you considering?

I’ve said Allen is Mahomes’ equal in the playoffs. I give the edge to Mahomes because of 2020 head to head.

They both average about the same total yards and TDs.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

13 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

"risk of injury" based on his style would be things point to as knocks on Allen.

Lol what? Allen has started more consecutive games than any other player in the NFL and it isn't close.

Who is his competition by this weird injury standard you've created? Burrow? Jackson? Yeah good luck with that one.

Just now, HappyDays said:

Lol what? Allen has started more consecutive games than any other player in the NFL and it isn't close.

Who is his competition by this weird injury standard you've created? Burrow? Jackson? Yeah good luck with that one.

I know that, its a perception, I did not create anything.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I know that, its a perception, I did not create anything.

So when you said it is not clear that Allen is #2 and said that risk of injury is one of the reasons to believe this, that isn't something you personally believe? Alright.

FWIW I'm fine including injury risk in the evaluation of QBs which is why Burrow is very clearly #3 at best.

Edited by HappyDays

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I remember always saying that I dont worry about Allen getting hurt while running with the ball. I worry about him getting hurt in the pocket. I still do.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

So when you said it is not clear that Allen is #2 and said that risk of injury is one of the reasons to believe this, that isn't something you personally believe? Alright.

FWIW I'm fine including injury risk in the evaluation of QBs which is why Burrow is very clearly #3 at best.

I should have not included the injury risk thing....yes I was saying what I think others would say.  I agree the reality is Jackson and Burrow have been the ones injured.  In particular Jackson, he gets hobbled his effectivity goes in the toilet.  Allen has played through things and finds ways to still be effective.

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

'if you say Allen over Mahomes you are a homer'

5mins later

'its a perception thing!'

14 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

This gives such clarity to their playoffs performances. It would be tough for the diehard of fans to say Allen has been better in the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

This gives such clarity to their playoffs performances. It would be tough for the diehard of fans to say Allen has been better in the playoffs. 

The argument with be coaching which has some merit but history will never see it that way,   The 13 seconds things is so annoying because it never should have happened and it plays into the narrative that you cannot avoid until you beat him.

42 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

If "most people" only focus on passing today's for QB's how do you explain TWO MVP's for Lamar Jackson?

Mahomes is put ahead of Allen because he has won/been to multiple Super Bowls.  That is a huge achievement.  At the same time I have no doubt that if if you switched circumstances with Mahomes going to the Bills in 2017 and Allen going to the Chiefs in 2018 the order would be reversed and Allen would be the #1 rated QB in the NFL with Mahomes in 2nd place.

Lamar won because his team had the #1 seed. If Bills can lock up the #1 one year Allen would win it for sure. 

Lamar is the classic dual threat qb. Those guys don’t win Super Bowls. Allen has an opportunity to evolve his game the way Steve Young or Elway did. Use the run sparingly to supplement the passing game. It’s not a coincidence that Allen’s best passing year in 2020 he had the fewest rushing yards. If he can pace his running during the regular season then go off in the playoffs him and the team could be so much more effective.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

How so?

Mahomes has more TD's, because he has had more playoff games.  Otherwise, they've both been pretty great.

Are you talking about team accomplishments like advancing further?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The argument with be coaching which has some merit but history will never see it that way,   The 13 seconds things is so annoying because it never should have happened and it plays into the narrative that you cannot avoid until you beat him.

Winners get the spoils unfortunately. Coaching is part of it of course. Football is the ultimate team game. But individual stats are maintained and excellent achievements in those are praised. Before Brady rolled through the NFL everyone’s consensus best qb in NFL history was Joe Montana. Nobody said it’s because he had Bill Walsh, an offensive genius, as a head coach.