Buffalo - climate "haven"?

greetings. Thank you for posting this. I found it really an interesting concept. That BFLO could be seen as a positive weather city?

am I being punked? LOL

I mean I basis this off of not having lived in WNY for decades. And I have heard there with a few exceptions been some mild winters happening. But WNY can also produce intense heat along with humidity during the summer dog days. .Indian summer PRIMO. aka San Diego weather. In any case  I'm preaching to the choir here forgive me.

People from WNY generally take weather as a given  "just deal with it and keep things moving".  I love that about WNY people. we're tough.

Having said that many never left WNY because of the weather. But neither would I ever think to move BACK for climate reasons?

what is up is down my friends.  

right?

lol

"But WNY can also produce intense heat along with humidity during the summer dog days."

Those are outliers.

I was in WNY in August of 2022 for my mother's funeral and my brother was complaining about how hot it was.

Temp was high 80's, kind of muggy, but there was a cool breeze.

I would commit mass murder for a summer like that.

Just 1 summer.

Where I am at, summer temps typically run between low to high 90's, humidity 80% or higher, and a heat index easily in the triple digits.

The air tends to be stagnant, and if we do get a breeze, its warm/hot air.

It's f***ing miserable.

I'd almost put up with shoveling snow again.

Almost.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Having not lived in WNY since 2004, I would say the summers would keep me away more than the winters. The ungodly humidity combined with relatively limited A/C compared to “warm weather cities” is unbearable for me. I understand why most homes don’t have A/C as it’s a large-ish purchase for something used only a couple months, but those July and August nights are brutal without it. 

On 7/2/2024 at 4:13 PM, stevestojan said:

Having not lived in WNY since 2004, I would say the summers would keep me away more than the winters. The ungodly humidity combined with relatively limited A/C compared to “warm weather cities” is unbearable for me. I understand why most homes don’t have A/C as it’s a large-ish purchase for something used only a couple months, but those July and August nights are brutal without it. 

Go figure... The modern electrical AC unit was invented in Buffalo (Willis Carrier, 1902)... And it makes the Sun Belt livable to this day. 

I grew up during the Blizzard of '77, in NT.  Not great.  Snow didn't melt for *months*.  NT was always feverish with snow, like always.

On 7/4/2024 at 3:23 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Go figure... The modern electrical AC unit was invented in Buffalo (Willis Carrier, 1902)... And it makes the Sun Belt livable to this day. 

Not to mention... Trico!

On 7/4/2024 at 7:23 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Good article on it.

https://www.williscarrier.com/weathermakers/1876-1902/

Livable if you can deal with insects.  My wife has issues every time we go south of North Carolina.

TVA is other thing which made it livable - that provided the electricity which powers the air conditioning.

• Like (+1) 1

I've been saying this for years. As global warming continues, being along the Great Lakes is the place to be.

I am the Tourism Director for the largest hotel in Niagara Falls, ON. I meet people from all points on the globe daily. In recent years the hotel fills up with increasing numbers of people from the South (especially Texas) and Pacific Northwest. Most of them tell me that escaping unbearable summer weather was a major contributing factor in their choice of vacation spots.

Also, recent winters in WNY are increasingly mild. Last year I used my snow blower once.

"WNY, The Weather Place To Be!"

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I've been saying this for years. As global warming continues, being along the Great Lakes is the place to be.

I am the Tourism Director for the largest hotel in Niagara Falls, ON. I meet people from all points on the globe daily. In recent years the hotel fills up with increasing numbers of people from the South (especially Texas) and Pacific Northwest. Most of them tell me that escaping unbearable summer weather was a major contributing factor in their choice of vacation spots.

Also, recent winters in WNY are increasingly mild. Last year I used my snow blower once.

"WNY, The Weather Place To Be!"

***** the other regions. We still blow them away population-wise anyway!

It's still the most populated megalopolis in N.America.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

***** the other regions. We still blow them away population-wise anyway!

It's still the most populated megalopolis in N.America.

Who blows what away population wise?

On 7/8/2024 at 6:03 PM, TheCockSportif said:

I grew up during the Blizzard of '77, in NT.  Not great.  Snow didn't melt for *months*.  NT was always feverish with snow, like always.

Our family moved about 1/2 mile on the day of the blizzard. We sent the movers home with the job about 2/3 done so they didn’t get stranded with us. I was a senior in high school, with lots of time on my hands for me and all my friends….with a vacant but semi-furnished house at my disposal. It was easy for teenage kids to get there, but we knew we’d be left alone. 

That blizzard gave us some terrific memories!!! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Northern New England is seeing a great moderation in winters. Last year there were only 2 snow events of over 6 inches (Where I live, an hour north of Boston.) This summer has been unusually hot.